So now that you have had the FJ Cruiser for a few weeks/months..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's been an incredible pleasure to drive on a daily basis.

No BS. My Taco was nice. My Tundra was nice. The FJ is a work of art, IMHO :)

okay...so its only been a few days but....
so far, its great. Maybe because its such a big difference from the 60.
its going to take time to get good at backing down my 150' narrow driveway.
the handling is great, pickup great, too. My 7 year old doesnt like that the rear windows dont go down, i didnt realize that either.
i thought the big mirrors looked dorky, but now that i use them, they really make driving feel safer.
thing i would have liked:
an a/c converter ( came with the big upgrade ) i can add one, though.
map light
the passenge arm rest SHOULD come standard.
thats about it.
Going to do some minor wheeling this weekend, see what i think.

Ive had mine a few months, been offroading once, and took a 5k mile road trip in July. Still love the FJ. The only problem I had was comfort of the seats after 31 hours of driving non-stop, but I dont think any seat is comfortable for that long so..... Great vehicle, wish I had the money to buy a second one since my wife has taken this one away from me lol.

Great so far!

Voodoo, MT, CQ, 3k miles, $24.5k

I'm fresh off two previous FJ62's. The FJC is different in almost every possible way. My feedback is 95% positive and mostly already been written about.

My only two gripes are minor but I'll list them for the record.

1. Too much plastic
2. Wind buffeting when driving with the window down

It has exceeded my expectations in every other way.

Brose

P.S. 21mpg on latest (all highway) road trip

eambrose said:
2. Wind buffeting when driving with the window down
There is a cure for that, see my FJC mods on my website listed below.

A pair of Lunds will fix that.
I had the buffeting before. but no more.

Thanks Butso.

rfj, not sure.
But the other night I took my brother and his son out for a spin, and my nephew was in the back.
Had the windows down about 3/4 of the way, and we had hardly any wind coming in, and my nephew did not complain in the back.

I was also going to switch out the Toyota muffler for a Magnaflow can like I had on my 3.0, and my brother thought the stock muffler sounded pretty darn good.
I have to agree, it does not sound bad.

Anything new to report?

Zack

The stock radio is giving me problems already.
Ticking and popping on AM/FM.

Will go back to dealer when I have time to bring it in.

I'm probably a broken record beating a dead horse after most these posts, but we've had our FJ for two whole days and it grows on me by the hour. I'm not a fan of black cars, but we got black and I friggin love the black on the FJ...has a Highway Patrol look about it. I'm diggin' this chunky little ride!!..my kids (4 & 6) are nuts about it!

Currently own the FJ, the Sequoia(traded in the 4Runner for it), and an FJ62...I want a Xmas card from Toyota this year, dammit!

Everyone bitched about Toyota not holding true to the FJ heritage with this vehicle for obvious reasons, but otherwise it's just like my 62...the lighting inside sucks, buttons are dim or dark at night, no extra power outlets, no "comforts in the back seat, poor cubby hole storage, lack of handles...I love it!

Seriously, they could have done so much more with the inside of the FJ like:
*map lights front & rear
* a 12V outlet here and there,
*better designed console,
*flat lying fold down seats,
*ELIMINATE THE TRANSFORMER-ESQUE SIDE PANELS ON THE DASH that bang on knees,
*cut down the passeger side dash panel & add an fj60-ish grab handle!!,
*roll down rear windows,
*seatbelts not attached to the suicide doors,
*wider sun visors(hate this on my Sequoia too)
*some type of grab-on/handle/hand-hold that little kids or short people can grab to get into the back seat(seriously),
*lengthen the cargo area windows which would look sharper and see better,
...............blah, blah.....and these things are not expensive standard equipment to add to ANY vehicle.

Oh well, no vehicle is perfect and I really do like this one....but I hope Toyota is listening.

I've had mine for about 6 weeks and 2100 miles and I love it so far no complaints unless its the tires that came on it but I will put the tires I want on it any ways.

As far as adding power outlets and handles and map lights and.... you name it. I think
toyota was aiming for a certian price point and target audience and if you add all that extra stuff you quickly go from a 28- 30000 vehicle to $40000 vehicle with a bunch of stuff thats totally usless to you and out side of the price point and market that toyota was shooting for. I know if they had added all that stuff I wouldnt have been able to afford it.

I will be adding my own power points and grab handles and maplighting as I am able to.

Just my 2 cents...:cheers:

Bigun...

FJ

Have the first FJ Cruiser sold in Arkansas, 4700 miles on it now. Black, automatic. Also own FJ62 and FZJ (?) 100.

More truck like than the 100, but much more comfortable than the 62.

Pluses:
- cool factor
- capable off road but doesn't beat you to death getting there
- can play my iPod without changing radio stations every 50 miles
- COOL factor
- COOOOOOOL factor

Minuses:
- soccer Mom tires. Immediately swapped 'em for A/Ts
- stop lights. I don't even try to look any more. I wait for the opposite lane to start moving or for someone to honk at me (which I get a lot of because of the COOOOL factor)
- wind noise through the rack.
- what's with the plastic bumper??

Suicide doors are kind of heavy for my 5 and 7 year old to close. I know they will grow up and get stronger, but I guess the angle of the door makes it too heavy at this point. And no, I do not take it to the mall, nor am I a "Soccer Mom", I just happen to have kids.

I have had my FJC for about 6 months now. I got the upgraded package with BBS Rims and Pirelli Tires....the Duelers are horrible. I have replaced the BBS rims with some powder coated black ones from Moto Metal. I added Predator step rails and Sirius radio. I was going to purchase and install the factory roof rack but I am reading a lot of complaints on here about wind noise from it. Oh, I think the Lund in-cahnnel vent visors will be my next purchase, thanks Corey.

Pluses:
Lots of looks, lots of questions
Off-road capabilites
Plenty of storage in cargo area.....I carry a lot of stuff!

Minuses:
Only seem to be getting about 15mpg around town, and 17-18 on the hwy, even when I am lightly loaded
Tough to see stop lights
Needs more 12V power outlets

You are welcome.

I am not getting any of the roof rack noise I keep hearing about, but then I have a few mounts on the racks slats, and they may make the wind flow over them differently.

Plus my new tires drown out noise now, they sing to me a very nice low tone hum.

Just added the OEM roof rack to mine, and notice no difference in wind noise.

I also heard someone is making them adjustable to relieve pressure on lifted rear suspension. I cant remember whos doing it .Anyone Know?????????????

All Pro makes the adjustable upper and lower links, using rebuildable Johnny Joints and .281 wall DOM steel tubing. They are a bolt in design, requiring no modifications and utilize factory hardware - oh yeah, and a lifetime warranty. They have enough adjustment to use stock, on minor lifts, and in the future on the Solid Axle Swap that will be released.

As for my impressions of the vehicle, today is one month of ownership and I dig the V6 power, auto tranny, ride quality and interior room for a 6'3" guy. I grow to like the vehicle as a whole more daily, but a few things are still annoying:

Rear visibility
Honda Element rear doors
Stock tires
Cheap plastic panels that scratch too easy
Pontoon taillights
Non opening rear side windows
No factory sunroof option
No rear heater
No front seat lighting
and.... a METALLIC BLACK - what the heck were they thinking adding rainbow glitter to black paint on an off road oriented vehicle?

All Pro makes the adjustable upper and lower links, using rebuildable Johnny Joints and .281 wall DOM steel tubing. They are a bolt in design, requiring no modifications and utilize factory hardware - oh yeah, and a lifetime warranty. They have enough adjustment to use stock, on minor lifts, and in the future on the Solid Axle Swap that will be released.

As for my impressions of the vehicle, today is one month of ownership and I dig the V6 power, auto tranny, ride quality and interior room for a 6'3" guy. I grow to like the vehicle as a whole more daily, but a few things are still annoying:

Rear visibility
Honda Element rear doors
Stock tires
Cheap plastic panels that scratch too easy
Pontoon taillights
Non opening rear side windows
No factory sunroof option
No rear heater
No front seat lighting
and.... a METALLIC BLACK - what the heck were they thinking adding rainbow glitter to black paint on an off road oriented vehicle?
There is a duct for A/C - heat under the front seats. I'm with ya on the rear doors - at first they were kinda neat, but as you need to use them, they become more of an aggravation, especially in a parking lot when there is a car next to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom