So now that you have had the FJ Cruiser for a few weeks/months..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had my FJ since April and here's my observations:

Quiet, soft ride even in extreme conditions. Compared to my dad's 2001 Xterra there's NO contest. Everyone prefers to ride in the FJ, especially offroad. It's like driving a Lexus, but the offroad ability is still there.

Good, rugged love 'em or hate 'em looks, and the retro-ness.

Spartan, easily cleanable interior, but still comfortable. Screw carpet!

Tons of power, particularly on the bottom end. And still decent gas mileage.

Interior space, and the ability to haul more than two people.

Dislikes:
The front bumper. Looks like the thing has a sore lower lip that sticks out too far. Totally does not flow with the rest of the truck.

The stock tires. It was really really too bad Toyota cheaped out on the stock equipment.

That's about it.

-LC

only one complaint... do something about an alternator... I frequent off road places (mostly farms) and I do go through mild mud and what not. So my alternator gave in, and now the dealer doesn't want to cover it.. becuase I took the truck off road. So you make 4x4 vehicles that can't go off road? I don't think you'd be needing a rear locking differential and off road traction control on pavement. I'm fighting for this one as we speak.

k_os said:
only one complaint... do something about an alternator... I frequent off road places (mostly farms) and I do go through mild mud and what not. So my alternator gave in, and now the dealer doesn't want to cover it.. becuase I took the truck off road. So you make 4x4 vehicles that can't go off road? I don't think you'd be needing a rear locking differential and off road traction control on pavement. I'm fighting for this one as we speak.

Thats F'ing BS! I did not notice when I test drove the Fj, but where is the alt mounted? Is it low in the engine? So what re you doing about this? Did you have to pay for a new alt yet?

Zack

It do's not look that low to me... I'm going to have to pop the hood when I get home and take a look
Engine.JPG

It's appeartly low enough to get splashed by the mud/water that the fan kicks all over the place.. I haven't paid one dime.. and I don't plan to. I didn't buy a corolla or a sienna. I bought something with a rear locking differential and off road traction control. Last time I checked you don't need those in the pavement.

k_os said:
It's appeartly low enough to get splashed by the mud/water that the fan kicks all over the place.. I haven't paid one dime.. and I don't plan to. I didn't buy a corolla or a sienna. I bought something with a rear locking differential and off road traction control. Last time I checked you don't need those in the pavement.

They better do something to take care of you! THat sounds like s***ty service if you ask me. Have you found the first weak spot in the FJ Cruiser?

Zack

It appears so, right now I am in the process of debating my case with toyota headquarters. They have been a bit more helpful and willing to hear my concerns that the damn dealership.

1) Why would you advertise a 4x4 and then when people use it off the road, it fails and then you don't cover it

2) I don't know if you put a V6 camry alternator in there. If you plan on have the "legend reborn" please take care of these things.

3) Their first argument was that I submerged the alternator in muddy water. I made them take out the alternator to check out the water line.. guess what there was none. Then they changed it around and said that mud/water was splattered by the fan into the alternator. To which I responded well then that's your fault for designing a 4x4 like a asphalt queen you should expect this to happen.

So far the dealership takes me for an idiot and wants me to fork over $800. So I stopped dealing with them and went somehow got a hold of Toyota's Headquarters Costumer relations districs manager. And told him about my history. He's going to talk with the dealership tomorrow morning and call me back. I'll keep you guys posted

$800 :eek: :eek: :eek: for a new alternator?? ... That failed because of mud? The stealership sunk to a new low level on that one. I hate stealerships so much. Bloodsuckers. I would picket the place, and I am not kidding.

Don't get me wrong, I love my new FJC, but it many respects it doesn't quite compare to my old FJ60.

Positives- Great ground clearance straight from the showroom, very capable on and off road, very safe (airbags everywhere), and easy to clean with the rubber interior. Also, it looks cool.

There is less interior room. The suicide doors are cool, but inconvenient in a tight space, and the seat belt on the door sucks. Poor stoplight visibility for tall drivers (me). Cheap plastic bumper. And what in the heck is behind the panel above the glove compartment, and shouldn't that be usable storage space?

Of course, my 60 wasn't perfect, with 3 major flaws- Rust, Rust, and Rust. I knew it was time to get rid of her when I could see the ground going by beneath my feet : )

I've had my FJ for about 6 weeks. Been wheeling in it 4 times and it does great. I love the vehicle - and I've had 7 other 4WD vehicle - 4 Toys, 2 Chevy's :whoops: and a Mitsubishi:doh: . All around this gives the best blend of comfort and capability.

Only low points - rear windows should be hinged vents (my dogs like the breeze) and fuel range is a little low for trips to ol' mexico..

k_os said:
It appears so, right now I am in the process of debating my case with toyota headquarters. They have been a bit more helpful and willing to hear my concerns that the damn dealership.

1) Why would you advertise a 4x4 and then when people use it off the road, it fails and then you don't cover it

2) I don't know if you put a V6 camry alternator in there. If you plan on have the "legend reborn" please take care of these things.

3) Their first argument was that I submerged the alternator in muddy water. I made them take out the alternator to check out the water line.. guess what there was none. Then they changed it around and said that mud/water was splattered by the fan into the alternator. To which I responded well then that's your fault for designing a 4x4 like a asphalt queen you should expect this to happen.

So far the dealership takes me for an idiot and wants me to fork over $800. So I stopped dealing with them and went somehow got a hold of Toyota's Headquarters Costumer relations districs manager. And told him about my history. He's going to talk with the dealership tomorrow morning and call me back. I'll keep you guys posted

Any new info on the Alt front?

Zack

k_os said:

I had an '05 Tacoma with the same engine and used it for field work.... mud, snow, small swamps etc. it had the same engine, no problems.

This is obviously a warranty issue.

By the way, when I traded it for an FJC I told them what I did with it and what I was going to do with the FJC (leasing), and no problems.

Take it to a different dealer or something. I used to rebuild alternators for 3 years and there is something wrong i.e. WARANTY!!!

Ok, I got a new dislike...no map lights! I didn't think about this one until I reached up to turn them on one night and there was nothing there!

Ok, I have had my FJC for 2 weeks and here are my thoughts so far:

-The feel of the ride in general - smooth, extraordinary steering and turning radius for a vehicle that size. Solid and safe - feels like it can take on any road.
-The body style is phenominal - classic and modern looking at the same time - not an easy thing to pull off successfully. It looks like a fun truck to drive...and it is indeed.
-Sounds like a truck, but not too burly for it's own good.
-Comfortable seats and solid interior design. Rubber floor is just plain smart.
-Dig on the dash layout and controls - very utilitarian and sporty - all adding up to fun and adventureous.
-Better than expected factory stereo system with sub in the back and speakers in the ceiling - offering a very unique experience for such a vehicle - makes me not want to get to my destination too quickly.
-Peoples reactions to the FJ are fun to see 95% positive. The other 5% are insecure or jealous in nature.

Dislikes:
-Coming up from a VW Golf the MPG is kind of a bummer - but I am dealing with it.
- Blind spot factor is more prevailant in the FJC, but again just takes getting used to.
-Sun visors are worthless when the afternoon sun hits the left side of my face.
-Kind of bummed that hitting the Random Track button on the stereo only randomizes tracks within chosen CD or Folder - would be nice if it randomized all tracks on all disks and folders...and quickly too....I'm probably asking a lot with this one.
-Wish parking sonar applied to the front of the vehicle as well.
-More compartmental storage would be nice too - in the back as well.

So that's. I truely have nothing but love for my FJC. I am very happy that I made the choice to get one - it refreshed a part of me that is good to see again...

Major complaint/dislike !

I have about 3k miles on my FJC. Just got back from OC MD. While I was there it rained a little, nothing major, just a few showers and one thunderstorm for the whole week. My fiancee went to get some money out of the FJC (under the passenger side floor mat , since our camper door might as well not have a lock on it) and it was soaking wet. There was 1/4 inch of water on the floor front and back. After cleaning that up we loaded up our son and his cousin in the Cruiser to go to dinner and our son noticed water dripping in from the center spar where the doors come together. By the end of the week, the ceiling liner - front to back at the doors, and the floors were totally soaked. You can actually see a water line where the liner was wet. Had a storm come through here yesterday and I had the same thing this morning. I'm taking it to the dealer on Friday to see what kind of run around I'll get from them. They want to take a look at it and see if they can "recreate" the situation. I'm not holding my breath after reading about the alternator problems and the dealerships.

Yuhri

jazzkenpo said:
I have about 3k miles on my FJC. Just got back from OC MD. While I was there it rained a little, nothing major, just a few showers and one thunderstorm for the whole week. My fiancee went to get some money out of the FJC (under the passenger side floor mat , since our camper door might as well not have a lock on it) and it was soaking wet. There was 1/4 inch of water on the floor front and back. After cleaning that up we loaded up our son and his cousin in the Cruiser to go to dinner and our son noticed water dripping in from the center spar where the doors come together. By the end of the week, the ceiling liner - front to back at the doors, and the floors were totally soaked. You can actually see a water line where the liner was wet. Had a storm come through here yesterday and I had the same thing this morning. I'm taking it to the dealer on Friday to see what kind of run around I'll get from them. They want to take a look at it and see if they can "recreate" the situation. I'm not holding my breath after reading about the alternator problems and the dealerships.

Yuhri

WOW this sucks! I hope they help you!

Zack

Happy Trails again - maybe...

I just got back from the dealer. The roof rack was not installed properly. One of the bolts was cross-threaded and not seating properly. They ran the bolt through a die and retapped the hole, resealed the rackmount and hopefully they fixed the problem. I was assured (almost like assume) that there would be no rust problems because of the short amount of time that it was wet, but we'll see. They said if the water leaves a mark on the headliner they would replace but I should wait a few days to see how it dries and if the leak is fixed. On a cheerier note, my tires are not the ones that Toyota thinks they might have a problem with - check with your dealer about this non-recall.

Yuhri

jazzkenpo said:
One of the bolts was cross-threaded and not seating properly.

And after installing that baby myself, take them at their word that it's very easy to cross-thread those bolts. I'm glad it was a simple solution and everything worked out. :)

The dealer refused to fix the alternator under warranty so I just took it apart and bathed it in engine degreaser for a night and another night in WD40. Put it back on and it worked flawlessly.

I spent $12 dollars on 8 bottles of engine degreaser and about $20 in WD40 plus about 4 hours of work. I took it back to the dealer to ask them if that wasn't a design flaw and they still had the balls to tell me that it was my fault for put it in mud. Even the parts guy agreed with me. Greedy toyota, last new car I buy from any make. Since the "warranty" you offer is no good, might as well buy an used car.

k_os said:
The dealer refused to fix the alternator under warranty so I just took it apart and bathed it in engine degreaser for a night and another night in WD40. Put it back on and it worked flawlessly.

I spent $12 dollars on 8 bottles of engine degreaser and about $20 in WD40 plus about 4 hours of work. I took it back to the dealer to ask them if that wasn't a design flaw and they still had the balls to tell me that it was my fault for put it in mud. Even the parts guy agreed with me. Greedy toyota, last new car I buy from any make. Since the "warranty" you offer is no good, might as well buy an used car.

Have you tried to contact Toyota directly? Maybe customer relations? Dealers don't give a crap about anything but making money. They won't touch warranty work if there's even a hint that Toyota will not reimburse them. Besides, Toyota reimburses at a rate less than you would, so it's in their best interest to make you pay. I absolutely agree, if the vehicle is marketed as offroad, it should be treated as such when there's an obvious failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom