Snowbear Trailers Suck (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ladysmith, used to ride. Maybe get back to it later. I have to head up to see a buddy up there next month.
If you see a Green 60 with a snorkel or black BJ74 LHD, wave me over for a coffee.

Ladysmith, used to ride. Maybe get back to it later. I have to head up to see a buddy up there next month.
If you see a Green 60 with a snorkel or black BJ74 LHD, wave me over for a coffee.
Hey, for sure nice trucks, you gotta take me for a drive some day
senior.savage@telus.net for coffee any time

this is my daily driver.
1346617.jpg

Yeah, the interweb never forgets. Be seeing you, J

just put another 1.5" lift on another Snowbear 4x8. This gives you the ability to run 13" tires for a significant lift. U bolts are 3/8 x 14 View attachment 2008828
Hi Shootist, hope you see this a year + later. I want to do the same lift you have here So I can run 13” wheels.
just put another 1.5" lift on another Snowbear 4x8. This gives you the ability to run 13" tires for a significant lift. U bolts are 3/8 x 14 View attachment 2008828
Hi Shootist, I want to do this same lift on my Snowbear 4 x8 so I can run 13” wheels.
Where did you find the u-bolts? I’ve been all over the internet and can’t find this size...
thanks much,

Thanks much

Hi Shootist, hope you see this a year + later. I want to do the same lift you have here So I can run 13” wheels.

Hi Shootist, I want to do this same lift on my Snowbear 4 x8 so I can run 13” wheels.
Where did you find the u-bolts? I’ve been all over the internet and can’t find this size...
thanks much,

Thanks much
Yep-- still here and still running snowbears with lifts! I used to get the U bolts bent at a shop in colorado springs, CO. Any shop that makes U-bolts can bend them for you if they have the stock. Rocky mountain spring and suspension. 70 Mt View Ln, Colorado Springs, CO 80907

Hello all,

I came to this thread because I've had a problem with my Snowbear utility trailer and could not get a hold of them. Their website doesn't even acknowledge that they manufacture trailers, just snowplows... and the email I sent bounced right back.

It's nice to see that there are a lot of happy owners out there. Indeed, I was happy to get a decent-looking little trailer, used, for $485 in 2012. Now that I learned that Costco and Home Depot had them for maybe one or two hundred bucks more than that, new and probably with a warranty, well I guess I didn't get such a great deal after all. We upgraded it by adding two sheets of plywood that serve to double the height of the walls when in the standing position, and when folded down they serve to protect the original flooring.

We've used the trailer sporadically over the years and like that we have it and don't have to rent a U-Haul every time it comes in handy, but that said, the U-Haul rentals would have been cheaper for how often we have used it. But that's not why I'm writing.

What happened recently is that I used it to haul a big sectional sofa from San Jose to Carson City, NV, 225 miles over the mountains. Trip there went fine. But on the way back I had a serious issue. The only thing loaded on the trailer now was a furniture dolly. I thought to balance the weight, the best place for it would be at the back, so I attached it to the tailgate. Used a km of rope and made sure it was securely attached. On the freeway near Sacramento someone starts honking like crazy and I immediately suspect it's for me and pull off to the side. Low and behold, the tail gate had popped off and by miracle it was still attached to the trailer by just one string... much had been instantly broken, but that one string had held up while I pulled off to the side. Everything was scratched up but luckily my Costco furniture dolly wasn't ruined and the license plate was still there.

So here I am, a woman alone in the middle of the night, in the rain, with a heavy tailgate with a furniture dolly bound to it by dozens of ropes, and traffic whizzing by at 80 mph. I just wanted to get out of there fast. So I managed to haul the whole thing back onto the trailer and secure it to the front of the trailer with a nylon strap. I headed as slow/fast as I dared, to the nearest exit, then found a service station to get out of the rain. What a mess everything was! I had never had any problems securing the tailgate and to this day have no clue as to why it failed. I decided the dolly would do better at the front of the trailer (thank God), moved it, secured it, put the tailgate back on, and headed off. I'm pretty sure the first time I was not speeding, but what is the recommended limit anyways? 55 mph? Checked the manual now and there is no mention. Maybe I had gone 5 or 10 mph too fast before, but not now...

I resolved to stop every half hour to check the trailer. It must have been only 15 minutes when I looked in the rear view mirror, and thought that the tailgate was missing. Not too sure because of the dark. But decided to exit and check. Fate had it that I was in a long section where there are no exits after leaving Sac. I finally got off and sure enough the tailgate was GONE. It was past midnight at this point, and I was seriously exhausted. I was also concerned about what might have happened if that thing had slammed into a vehicle behind me. I called 911 but there had been no reports. Then I figured... I did not even know the name of the exit I had taken, I thought it was half an hour back; so a round-trip would add another hour to my trip, and I was already in bad shape. Plus I might not find it in the dark. And I am really aware of the risk one takes by stopping on a freeway at night. If someone doesn't see you and hits you at 70 mph... So I went home. Called Cal Trans and they were off for the four-day holiday weekend. Eventually did recuperate it, but it was probably run over by dozens of 16-wheelers - it's warped, metal sticking out, thoroughly scratched... idk if my son will be able to beat it back to a shape that will let it do its job again.

I searched the manual wondering if there is any chance I was at fault by perhaps not securing the security rings correctly. Not likely, as I had done it dozens of times before, why should I do something weird this time? And what could you possibly do wrong anyway? But at any rate, there is nothing in the manual showing how to close them.

I am concluding that the mechanism for securing the tail gate was poorly designed, as are other parts, detailed by the OP of this thread as well as others. It is great that many people have been happy with their purchases, but buyer beware! If Fate has it that you are not so lucky and your Snowbear trailer causes a fatal accident, or you get killed, Lord help you. I feel lucky I was smart enough not to go searching for the tailgate in the middle of the rainy night while sleep deprived.

So, moral of the story - do all the regular maintenance and keep in mind that perhaps with age the tailgate might decide to escape. Be forewarned. Be prepared.

And if anyone reading this has any idea how I can get a replacement tailgate, please let me know. I will call Snowbear tomorrow but given the previous posts it looks like they aren't making these babies anymore. Not surprised.

Hello all,

I came to this thread because I've had a problem with my Snowbear utility trailer and could not get a hold of them. Their website doesn't even acknowledge that they manufacture trailers, just snowplows... and the email I sent bounced right back.

It's nice to see that there are a lot of happy owners out there. Indeed, I was happy to get a decent-looking little trailer, used, for $485 in 2012. Now that I learned that Costco and Home Depot had them for maybe one or two hundred bucks more than that, new and probably with a warranty, well I guess I didn't get such a great deal after all. We upgraded it by adding two sheets of plywood that serve to double the height of the walls when in the standing position, and when folded down they serve to protect the original flooring.

We've used the trailer sporadically over the years and like that we have it and don't have to rent a U-Haul every time it comes in handy, but that said, the U-Haul rentals would have been cheaper for how often we have used it. But that's not why I'm writing.

What happened recently is that I used it to haul a big sectional sofa from San Jose to Carson City, NV, 225 miles over the mountains. Trip there went fine. But on the way back I had a serious issue. The only thing loaded on the trailer now was a furniture dolly. I thought to balance the weight, the best place for it would be at the back, so I attached it to the tailgate. Used a km of rope and made sure it was securely attached. On the freeway near Sacramento someone starts honking like crazy and I immediately suspect it's for me and pull off to the side. Low and behold, the tail gate had popped off and by miracle it was still attached to the trailer by just one string... much had been instantly broken, but that one string had held up while I pulled off to the side. Everything was scratched up but luckily my Costco furniture dolly wasn't ruined and the license plate was still there.

So here I am, a woman alone in the middle of the night, in the rain, with a heavy tailgate with a furniture dolly bound to it by dozens of ropes, and traffic whizzing by at 80 mph. I just wanted to get out of there fast. So I managed to haul the whole thing back onto the trailer and secure it to the front of the trailer with a nylon strap. I headed as slow/fast as I dared, to the nearest exit, then found a service station to get out of the rain. What a mess everything was! I had never had any problems securing the tailgate and to this day have no clue as to why it failed. I decided the dolly would do better at the front of the trailer (thank God), moved it, secured it, put the tailgate back on, and headed off. I'm pretty sure the first time I was not speeding, but what is the recommended limit anyways? 55 mph? Checked the manual now and there is no mention. Maybe I had gone 5 or 10 mph too fast before, but not now...

I resolved to stop every half hour to check the trailer. It must have been only 15 minutes when I looked in the rear view mirror, and thought that the tailgate was missing. Not too sure because of the dark. But decided to exit and check. Fate had it that I was in a long section where there are no exits after leaving Sac. I finally got off and sure enough the tailgate was GONE. It was past midnight at this point, and I was seriously exhausted. I was also concerned about what might have happened if that thing had slammed into a vehicle behind me. I called 911 but there had been no reports. Then I figured... I did not even know the name of the exit I had taken, I thought it was half an hour back; so a round-trip would add another hour to my trip, and I was already in bad shape. Plus I might not find it in the dark. And I am really aware of the risk one takes by stopping on a freeway at night. If someone doesn't see you and hits you at 70 mph... So I went home. Called Cal Trans and they were off for the four-day holiday weekend. Eventually did recuperate it, but it was probably run over by dozens of 16-wheelers - it's warped, metal sticking out, thoroughly scratched... idk if my son will be able to beat it back to a shape that will let it do its job again.

I searched the manual wondering if there is any chance I was at fault by perhaps not securing the security rings correctly. Not likely, as I had done it dozens of times before, why should I do something weird this time? And what could you possibly do wrong anyway? But at any rate, there is nothing in the manual showing how to close them.

I am concluding that the mechanism for securing the tail gate was poorly designed, as are other parts, detailed by the OP of this thread as well as others. It is great that many people have been happy with their purchases, but buyer beware! If Fate has it that you are not so lucky and your Snowbear trailer causes a fatal accident, or you get killed, Lord help you. I feel lucky I was smart enough not to go searching for the tailgate in the middle of the rainy night while sleep deprived.

So, moral of the story - do all the regular maintenance and keep in mind that perhaps with age the tailgate might decide to escape. Be forewarned. Be prepared.

And if anyone reading this has any idea how I can get a replacement tailgate, please let me know. I will call Snowbear tomorrow but given the previous posts it looks like they aren't making these babies anymore. Not surprised.
Yes, Snowbear has long ago departed the utility trailer business, and no longer carries any parts. As for all the Snowbear bashing, I bought mine years ago as it was the closest thing that met my needs and alternatives are next to non-existant. The paint's peeling off of mine; in sheets, in some places, but things like bearings are standard so readily available. Do I regret buying mine? Well no; because if there was something better available I would've bought one. So, I'll fix the paint myself.

As for your tailgate, thay're really pretty simple so it probably wouldn't be too hard to find a fabricator to make one up for you. (Unless, of course, you could find a used one to salvage parts off of.)

When I bought mine, I also bought a nice waterproofed fitted canvas cover I wish I could replace too; as it's now badly sun damaged. I found someone willing to fabricate a replacment for me.

... I used to get the U bolts bent at a shop in colorado springs, CO. ...
Hi Shootist, not sure if you are monitoring this thread after all these years but I have a question:

I just picked up a snowbear 4x8 util trailer and just snagged some 13" wheels at a garage sale dirt cheap the other day.
I also need to replace my fenders anyways as they have rusted out. I can't think of any reason to do the block axle lift if i'm going to reposition a new fender anyways. Am i right in my thinking here or am I missing something? Id prefer to keep the deck lower so its easier to load/unload rolling cargo...

Trailer bounces around a lot on the 12" wheels so hoping a bigger tire with lower psi will give smoother ride and better small bump absorption....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom