Snow/tire chains required - wow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In all my years of snow driving, I’ve always used snow rated tires when necessary, so I’ve never used snow chains. I’ve driven in AK for 3 yrs/3 winters, CO/NM for 3 yrs, OH for 3 yrs, and in and around KY/TN/AL/NC/GA/VA/WVA/WA/OR/N Cali/others, in winter time snow, and I’ve been in UT/WY/MN/CND during winter vacations, drove in snow, etc. And, I’ve even driven from CA to Anchorage AK (through CND/Yukon) in heavy snow and ice, in a class C RV with MS tires (Micheline LTX MS) only, without chains. I’ve never used chains, don’t even know how to install them. Yeah.

Wife and I will be in California for three years, so three winters, and plan to go to skiing and other snow bound places while here. Cali requires snow chains in most all snow areas. We have a trip scheduled to Yosemite for a week in November, so coming up fast, and the Park service (NPS) says we must have snow chains, in case.

What chains should I consider buying, from where and how much should I invest?

My tire size is: 275/60R18

Thanks!

I dont think its wise or recommended to have chains on front tires on these 100s.

I've driven through Sierra Nevada mountains countless times in winter with and without snow chains (4x4). Show chains makes the grip 100% better, so to be safe, use show chains. I usually install those into the front tires as it grips and steers your car.

Check the local Walmart/targer. price is high is you rent those at the beginning of the road where they make snow chains mandatory.

You'll be thankful you have them the one time you get stuck in some icy conditions and need them.

Just buy a set and throw them in the truck, who cares what brand. They are pretty easy to learn. The front tires don't have enough clearance between tries and control arms for proper chains. Rears fit just fine.

The cruiser likes to have it's back end break loose and start to get ahead of itself on slippery downhills. It's scary, chains help.

I've driven to CA ski areas hundreds of time in snowy conditions in 30 years, always with 4wd and almost always with BFG ATs. I have never once been made to install chains, but dozens of times been asked by CHP if I am carrying them. Only been asked to see them once. When I was younger, I would carry any chains even they didn't fit. Now I always carry chains that fit. Being turned around would suck. In 12 years in a lifted LC, CHP mostly just nods when I pass.

The requirement is just that you have chains. They have three chain control level R-1, R-2 and R-3. R-3 is the most severe and when a land cruiser would be required to chain up. What typically happens is they close the roads before they get to a R-3 level. That said, not the worst idea to carry a pair just incase you get stuck in something and don't want to become the next donner party. I keep a pair on hand that I could throw on the rear if the conditions ever got so bad that I needed it...hasn't happened yet in the ~10 years I have lived here.

Peerless makes a lot of different sizes and can be delivered from Amazon next day.

x3 from CA. Driving an LC, 99% chance you won't need them, granted you stay on-road. The 1% chance is when a CHP asks to see them. Diamond pattern chains like Laclede and RUD are good for all-around usage.

All this sounds good. Thanks! I will go by one of the auto parts stores and buy a pair that fits, and not get carried away with brand and features, so long as they work. Maybe practice installing them, since I’ve never used any before. I’d hate to HAVE to get out in the snow and install chains, at the last minute. I’ve seen people doing this dance and it never looked fun. Thankfully I was always in a 4x4 with snow tires. Never HAD to buy chains. Certainly, better safe than stuck!

All this sounds good. Thanks! I will go by one of the auto parts stores and buy a pair that fits, and not get carried away with brand and features, so long as they work. Maybe practice installing them, since I’ve never used any before. I’d hate to HAVE to get out in the snow and install chains, at the last minute. I’ve seen people doing this dance and it never looked fun. Thankfully I was always in a 4x4 with snow tires. Never HAD to buy chains. Certainly, better safe than stuck!
Yep.

Chains around the back tires of the cruiser are pretty easy but you'll need to slink your way around the inside of the tire. Most people I see are trying to do this dance of driving over the chains and pulling them over the top. That is not a good technique.

Just straighten the chains out on the ground, make sure they aren't twisted up. Lift the chains up and drape them over the top of the tire. Even it out side to side and then reach around back and clip the inside hooks. Then clip the outside hooks.

Most chains will then have a cam style lock that will suck up the slack and lock it in from there. Sometimes driving a few feet and readjusting is needed.

Over the years I have taught myself that if the conditions require chains, it's probably time to turn around and go home. But some camp trips around this time of year have left me in the high elevations with an early morning icy/snow that is super sketchy.

As said above, these days the roads (I-80 in particular) close long before you’d truly need chains in a 100 with M+S tires. There are so many people going to and from Tahoe that accidents seem to start within minutes of the first snowflakes.

But it does not hurt to have a pair on hand. (I have never been stopped or asked to show mine.)

For occasional use look into auto/snow socks. According to a quick web search they are a legal substitute for chains in CA. They are also lighter, easier to put on and in many cases cheaper then chains. Also I think you can run them up front on an LC because they fit pretty tight to tires.

For occasional use look into auto/snow socks. According to a quick web search they are a legal substitute for chains in CA. They are also lighter, easier to put on and in many cases cheaper then chains. Also I think you can run them up front on an LC because they fit pretty tight to tires.

Good point. I actually have these for the Subaru and they are a legal substitute. A lot of the 18-wheelers use these because they are quieter and seem to work well.

Hard to imagine these “auto socks” working so well. I did watch some videos, showing the install and applications. They look to be a lot easier to install then chains, from some videos I’ve watched of chain installs. Just hard to imagine these as being better for traction. Price is good. I wonder how I can verify if these are acceptable with the NPS, since they require these on Yosemite, which is federal land, with federal law enforcement?

Watched a couple of videos and decided to not watch anymore...

Watched a couple of videos and decided to not watch anymore...

I found some AutoSocks within an hours drive from me. $99.99. The one thing I don’t like about these “socks” is that you should not leave them on your tires after use. So, lets say you stop to spend a night, and it’s still freezing. If you leave the “socks” on, they can freeze to the ground, thus sticking your tires. I think I best do more research. Thanks for the video!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom