Snow Chains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have these LaCledes on my 285/75r16s. They are cam locked, I'll get some pictures once we have snow on the passes.

LaClede Chains

NMuzj100,
Are you running wheel spacers to gain clearance for the chains at the upper A arm?

Jeez, I'm so sorry I dropped off on this thread. I looked up my part number for my RUD GRIP 4x4 chains and they are part number "2532". These are the largest tire chains RUD makes. There are also some ranges on the tag which include 33/12.50R 16.5 and 285/60R 18. I suppose my 285/75R 16's are in the middle???

Some things to point out about these chains. First, they are an alloy link. I too saw several styles from several other manufacturers that were diamond link but they were made with a mild steel. These chains have an extremely strong alloy steel that includes tungsten to allow them to last long time even on exposed asphalt. Another thing is that they are square link which is what allows them to "bite" more than a round link chain. Another thing is totally welded links - most good chains come with welded links nowadays but the welds on these links are really awesome with really good penetration, not just a surface spot weld that when worn down allows the link to open. The links themselves are only 5mm which is what allows for the low clearance classification. The chains are reversible so they last even longer in that you can reverse them so that if one face is worn, you can allow the other face to take the wear. The chains are easily able to install WITHOUT moving the vehicle over them. I have personally put them on several times when I was stuck in super deep snow and I did not have to move the vehicle at all. All in all a superior chain in my opinion.

Ohh, forgot to mention they are TUV certified which is an Austrian/German certification as well as ISO certified. They come with convenient ballistic nylon carrying case. Hope that helps, and sorry for the long delay, I was not paying attention at all apparently. DOH! :cheers:

Turbo,
Good info...I am familiar with the RUD chains (through Bill Burke). If anyone is running them on a 100 with 285R75/16 it would be good to get confirmation they clear the front A arms. Pewag makes the same quality of chain. They are located here in Reno and as soon as I get time I am going to take my 100 there for custom fitment...hopefully the 5mm or 5.5mm will work.

Turbo -

Yep, thanks for the look up. One question...

>>I suppose my 285/75R 16's are in the middle?

Which tire exactly are you running? (Mfr/ tread). It would be helpful to know how aggressive the tread is, and how loose/tight the fit is on that #2532 chain.

Thanks! R -

Here we have three conditional levels. Level 1 = carry chains. Level 2 = 2wd & trucks must chain up, everyone must carry chains. Level 3 = All vehicles must chain up. Whenever we get a level three condition I drive up the back way. Mostly to avoid the idiots on the hiway.

Chain up tips: Always pull off the road to chain up. Chain up before you have to so you can pull off the road. Very important; Retension your chains after 10 minutes!!! You will be supprised how loose they are. When chaining up have your vehicle occupants wait in a very safe place away from the vehicle. You can't imagine the accidents we see on the access road.

After working for the last two years at a ski area I don't even know why I own chains! With 4x4 bfg at's and smart driving I have never had to chain up. That includes getting up to the lodge before the plow and after a blizzard. I still carry them to satisfy the letter of the law.

I have not tried diamond links I have the regular chains and the one time I used them they worked great. I put them on the rear wheels while wood cutting in 10" of fresh. Pulled a trailer loaded with no problem.

Fly Rod

ParadiseCruiser said:
Turbo -

Yep, thanks for the look up. One question...

>>I suppose my 285/75R 16's are in the middle?

Which tire exactly are you running? (Mfr/ tread). It would be helpful to know how aggressive the tread is, and how loose/tight the fit is on that #2532 chain.

Thanks! R -

285/75R 16 REVOS new tires, new tread. Also ran em on my old GoodYear Wrangler AT/S's same size with about 14/32 tread. The fit is fine, I'm sure they would snug around MTR's just fine as well. These really are super good chains I was skeptical at first but I am another believer now. BTW, Bill Burke is a super good guy to get em from. HTH :cheers:

Thanks T -

R -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom