Snow Chains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jonathan_Ferguson

★ is in the wrong locale
Threads
Website
jonathan-ferguson.tk
School me on Chains, everything about ém Please? :eek:

I know Chains must be used in some areas, but which? I can't find this information on either the State or Federal Government Internet Sites. :confused:
www.vicroads.vic.gov.au
www.dotars.gov.au

Don't know about down under Jonathan, but here in the Republic of Kalifornia, information can be found in our vehicle code sections. Maybe try whatever your Department of Motor Vehicles is called.

General rule here is that 4x4's with adequate all terrain tires don't have to put chains on when the highway patrol has the chain law in effect, but does check to see if you carry chains. They can, however, require you to put them on even a 4x4 if conditions are bad enough.

On chains themselves, I've always used chains and not those silly cables. I recall some threads way back that debated placement front or rear on 4x4's but don't recall the general consensus.

Good luck mate!

if you are only chaining up one set of wheels, put 'em on the rear, not the front
if you put them on the front you run the risk of the rear end breaking free in a downhill descent due to the tires spinning. that would be bad.

But if you put them only on the rear you risk losing traction and directional control when pushing uphill and the front end start spinning/slipping. ;)

In varying terrain and conditions, all four is the only safe way to use chains on a 4x4.

Mark...

Go read on tirechain.com and learn more than you ever wanted to know!

Edit: And on my Subaru WRX, the recommendation is rear only, according to the owner's manual. That's full-time all-wheel drive, with limited-slip center and rear diffs.

On a 4x4, I'd chain the rear first just to drag someone out of the ditch, but all four for driving.

polarweasel said:
Edit: And on my Subaru WRX, the recommendation is rear only, according to the owner's manual. That's full-time all-wheel drive, with limited-slip center and rear diffs.

Probably based on chain clearance issues under the front end (steering room too) and concerns about the stress on the steering and alignment from higher speed travels with chains mounted.

And the assumption that all the travel in a WRX will be pavement pased, even if there is snow on the pavement. ;)

Mark...

Jonathan_Ferguson said:
What are the Advantages/Disadvantages for Diamond Pattern compared to Parallel?

What is the Problem with the Cable type?

What about the Diagonal type? http://tirechain.com/images/diagonalxs.jpg

Is there any advantage to using Chains with Pretend Mud Tyres? http://hankooktyre.com.au/upload/product_image/rt01_eu_f.jpg

Diamond style tendsto be smoother riding onpavement and at higher speeds than the ladder style.

Cable doesn't provide the bite that chains do.

Chains help with any tire. Including mud tires.

Mark...

Diamond chains also help more for turning than ladder style chains. They tend to hold the tire better too. Cable chains SUCK, I repeat SUCK, I had a set for my 4Runner which snapped within ten miles of putting them on. They tangled around my mudflaps and running boards and ripped everything all to hell. IMO the best 4x4 chains are RUD Grip 4x4 which Bill Burke sells. Goto www.bb4wa.com and get a good set. Ohh, 4 tires always equals 4 chains, any other way will result in problems. If you only have two chains though, I'd put them on the front axle cause then you have steering braking and accleration. HTH. Ohh, BTW, the RUD chains are low profile so no rubbing worries. HTH. :cheers:

>> RUD Grip 4x4...

Turbo -

I don't know if these are available in Oz, but it's a good recommendation for the U.S. Unfortunately, this particular chain does not appear to be available in 33" tire sizes - according to the Rud website.

Am I missing something, or are all of the 33" + tire folks out of luck here?

Cheers, R -

PS: Ferg, look here for Rud Australia

Last edited:
Out of luck? Looks like it to me. I spent a bit of time looking, then bought the basic ladder-style chains. I'm sure the diamond-style are better, but ladder-type work just fine.

I was going to look into something by Pewag . They make a diamond pattern called "universal" that comes in a 33" diamter, and larger diameter tires. I've haven't called them yet to learn how to buy their product in the US or how much they cost.

ParadiseCruiser said:
>> RUD Grip 4x4...

Turbo -

I don't know if these are available in Oz, but it's a good recommendation for the U.S. Unfortunately, this particular chain does not appear to be available in 33" tire sizes - according to the Rud website.

Am I missing something, or are all of the 33" + tire folks out of luck here?

Cheers, R -

PS: Ferg, look here for Rud Australia

Hi, not sure why the 33" size is not listed but they do make them, they are the largest size they make, but they do make them. If you are still having a hard time finding em, I'll go grab the winter recovery kit and look at the part numbers. If someone in AUS really wants em, I'll get em for you and send em. Shipping will be wild though - a pair weighs about thirty to thirtyfive pounds. HTH. :cheers:

Turbo -

Thanks for that.

In digging further, I found that TireChains.com lists a couple of 33" diamond pattern chains that look to be in description, appearance & price identical to the German manufactured Rud chains, merely rebranded as "TireChains."

In both cases, they are listed with the disclaimer, "Not for aggressive or square shoulder tread patterns" - which means to me that they will work with a highway tire, won't work with a mud tire, and might work with a A/T tire, depending upon the manufacturer & specific tread pattern.

Anyway, when you get a chance, please post the p/n of your chains, and the type/size tire you are using them on. In the mean time, I am going to see if there are any local distributers... I suspect it is going to come down to trial fit for the tires in question.

Thanks! R -

I've Emailed about sizes. http://tirechain.com/LITETRUCK.htm

Would just two Chains be alright, to be legal in particular areas?
Rear Wheel Drive, on the rear?
Four Wheel Drive, on the front?
:cheers:

You might try www.pewagchain.com

They have an outlet here in the Reno/Sparks area...I am going to go there to check on sizes, types, fit, etc. for my '99 within the next week or so...I post the results.

4wd: Chains on all wheels for the best performance, control & safety.

4wd with 2-tire chains: OK on front for uphills without slope camber; OK on rear for downhills without slope camber. Just be warned this is a relative compromise with respect to performance, control & safety.

2wd: Chains on all wheels for the best performance, control & safety.

2wd: OK on drive wheels only as long as you understand the limits related to above.

ok, chains must be carried in all alpine areas in Aust johnathon.

they are thinking about making it mandatory to fit them to 4x4's as of this snow season

reccomended practice. in a 2wd car, fit them to the driving wheels

in a real 4x4 (none of this center diff crap) in Vic... chains onto the front wheels. that way you have steering and can transmit power to the ground. not to mention your front wheels do more of the braking.

the "snow" and ice we drive in Australia is pretty much nothing compared to you guys in the USA... most the time there isn't anything but dry bitumen when your told to put chains on... enought to wind up the Transfer case (ask how i know )

also drive slow you'll be right. leave alot of space to stop, and that's about all there is to it. when my t case stuck in 2wd i still didn't put chains on and didn't struggle.

as for diamond chains.. they are better on road, easier to fit... and LADDER type chains are probably going to become illegal (on road at least) in the next few years due to the damage they do to the roads, and they are less safe than the diamond ones.

snow chains are a bit of a myth. they are primarily used to break the ice on the road.

low pressures and a semi aggressive floaty wide tire are better for offroad SNOW driving... but as for driving on road with ice, chains are the way to do it

FYI:

I am in the process of determining (with the help of PEWAG) what chains, if any including custom sized, chains will fit my '99 LC. The issue is the clearance (or lack of) between the upper a-arm and the tire. FYI: I have 285R75/16" GY M/TR and OME t-bars at 50mm rise. It doesn't look good for a good HD set of off-road/snow chains right now. I will post my results after PEWAG has had an opportunity to get it up on a lift...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom