Snow Chain Preferences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy Everyone,

Already have my snow tires on, but looking to beef up my snow driving game, so I can go deeper into a snow and icy abyss.

Does anyone have a preferred brand or model of snow chains that are good for wheeling and fit on good sized tires?

Thanks for any suggestions !

Howdy Everyone,

Already have my snow tires on, but looking to beef up my snow driving game, so I can go deeper into a snow and icy abyss.

Does anyone have a preferred brand or model of snow chains that are good for wheeling and fit on good sized tires?

Thanks for any suggestions !
I like the Laclede cam chains, but I'm sure there are other similar brands. You basically decide between ease of installation and light weight (cable type etc) versus being a little harder to install and heavier, but having better traction and being very durable (chain type). At least that's my personal feeling. Just depends on your intended usage I think.

also whatever you get make sure they have ice cleats on them. one of the experiences i don't wish on anyone is iron on ice on a sidehill. personally wouldn't waste the money on cables, won't hold up. used to be able to have 4 chains on within 5 minutes. now i'll spend that much time trying to remember how to do it. rubber bunge straps are your friend.

if same height they might work. don't let them come loose especially on the 200. i don't have any for that size, pretty sure i gave away all my chain making gear but i'll look .

Great comments @elkun1 and @Eyedaho - considering I want to wheel with these and drive in extreme conditions - a nice set of heavy chains sounds about right.
if same height they might work. don't let them come loose especially on the 200. i don't have any for that size, pretty sure i gave away all my chain making gear but i'll look .
oh thanks @elkun1 ! Main use case is the FJ62, since that’s what I take out. I’ve taken a look at the Laclede’s recommended - but I’ll have to see about availability. Seems to be sold at O’Reilly.

Great comments @elkun1 and @Eyedaho - considering I want to wheel with these and drive in extreme conditions - a nice set of heavy chains sounds about right.

oh thanks @elkun1 ! Main use case is the FJ62, since that’s what I take out. I’ve taken a look at the Laclede’s recommended - but I’ll have to see about availability. Seems to be sold at O’Reilly.
It's worth looking on Craigslist and FB marketplace too. Most people post a picture that has the part number on the bag, and then you can cross reference on the OEM site. Seems like they're usually ~1/2-1/3 of retail price to buy "used" and often they've never been mounted.

kamp implement in belgrade was the place to get chains , don't know if they even carry them anymore. worth a phone call. i've got a complete set that came with my 40 when i got it. stock tires was on it. heavy duty and look old school, never seen any like it. if anyone need chains that i'm sure are for a stock 40 tire i've got em and want them out of the shop.

I can tell you all about putting chains on a LC200 front and rear tires or you could read a couple of hundred entries on Mud at "Tire Chains on A 200" or I could tell you the Cliff's Notes of the topic. There is also some inaccurate info from some entries and that I tried to clarify but they did not respond. For a LC200 chain chains are ok on the rear axle with your tire size but there may not be enough clearance for chains on the front tires. Cables are no comparison to chains but cables may not even clear depending on alterations. I added 1 inch wheel spacers so I could run "S" rated (1/2 inch clearance needed) on P275/65-18 (32.2" dia) snow tires on the front so I still have traction for steering.

I have chains for you to try on and cables.

I always use 2 sets of tensioners on each wheel.

one of the first times i used those cam locks we were decoying coyotes in the east fork outside of dillon. had a dog that thought he wanted to live with the coyotes evidently and took off with them. we were thrashing throwing chains on and lost the darn cam keys or whatever they're called in the snow. just put on a couple bunges per tire and was good to go. not going to say anymore about those cam tensioners. listen to mark about the front tires and chains. got the dog back, chewed up pretty good. the good old days lol

I use chains on work trucks regularly. I try and always get V bar chains as heavy a gauge as possible. I was in MTNs very recently with 4 rigs. All had 4 chains rigged up. Made it to 9900’. Broke 3 chains but was able to field repair 2. When in hard use even the best will stretch so need to keep on them to keep tight. We get 1-2 weeks out of a set before we replace them.

We need a new thread with Ron's stories... can I get a second on that?

I picked up two pairs of chains on Craigslist for under $100, one set V-bar and one set plain. Neither had the little cam tool or rubber tension bungees, but I haven't missed the cam tool and a couple of packs of cheap Harbor Freight rubber bungees work great. Usually the V-bar chains go on the front wheels for better steering traction.

I have only ever needed to use the chains on public roads once, but that one time they were a life saver. The road surface was so slick that the Cruiser slid sideways into the ditch while at a complete stop. With the chains on it crawled out no problem and made it up and down several hills until I got to clear pavement.

For off-road only, but in Colorado we would run what they call mud chains for wheeling in the mountains. Very heavy duty made by a company called Delta Rigging and Tools that were just bought out by Bishop Lifting. Man were they good.

Thanks for all the great comments and feedback!!

Ended up with a set from Johnny! Thanks man.

Did a test in my backyard and seemed to work great (only a foot and a half of snow).

Haven’t even added the rear chains yet- but I am feeling really confident I’ll be able to get into some pretty deep stuff this winter.

B9FFAA55-3E6A-44C0-B293-A2D4BD5D072F.jpeg

you are going to be amazed at the difference, looks good. only advice i've got is if only using 1 set is if going uphill they go on the front, if downhill on the rear. layed my 55 over in a kinda sucky place in e mt by being lazy and not throwing on the rear set. got out with 2 come alongs but was pretty sketch for a bit

you are going to be amazed at the difference, looks good. only advice i've got is if only using 1 set is if going uphill they go on the front, if downhill on the rear. layed my 55 over in a kinda sucky place in e mt by being lazy and not throwing on the rear set. got out with 2 come alongs but was pretty sketch for a bit
Thanks!

Yeah, current thinking is to keep a set with each LC.

If I intend on going snow wheeling I’ll throw both sets into the LC that is wheeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom