Smokin' Texas style (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

too cool!
I love the reactions brisket first-timers have when they see what looks like a chunk of meteorite setting on the counter before carving. It doesn't look like meat 'till you cut it.

I wish I was partaking of your grub today, thanks for sharing!

I would hook ya up, just had me a cereal bowl of the brisket ....... touch of salt, splash of Sweet Baby Ray's sweet n Spicy Chipolata sauce..mmmmmmmmm good.

You guys have Sweet Baby Rays where ya reside? Good sauce.

Butch

Thanks for sharing, Texican.
I admire your cause, and your style.

We have Sweet Baby Rays here, but I have been making my own sauce for years. It's easy, quick, and better than anything massed produced. Whip this up if you have time today:

BT's Spicey BBQ (Great for Brisket)

2 T vegetable oil
1/2 finely chopped onion
4 cloves of minced garlic
4 cups of Heinz Ketchup
1/2 cup of yellow mustard
3/4 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup of Worchestershire sauce
1/8 cup of Tabasco
1 tsp of red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp each of black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, dried oregeno and thyme

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, cool and enjoy.

Let me know what you guys think.

I'd like to do a brisket or pork butt to take camping with the boys next month. Can I do the smoking at home during the week where I can control things a bit better, and then just re-heat it at camp?

Phil from BC - ABSOLUTELY! I do that all the time. When reheating at camp, I simply add a small amount of water to my pan, bring it to a simmer, add your meat to heat it up. That way it steams to reheat and is nice and moist. The other option if you are committed to only one BBQ, is to warm the sauce up and add the meat to it, but they you may offend BBQ purists who believe sauce should be served on the side...if at all.

alot if Q reheats very well.

My favorite use for leftover brisket is to slice it cold as thin as I can, and float it atop boiling-hot beef broth with veggies and udon noodles. Just enough heat to rewarm the meat without drying it, or shriveling it.

I could power through three or four bowls of that on a cold day.

alot if Q reheats very well.

My favorite use for leftover brisket is to slice it cold as thin as I can, and float it atop boiling-hot beef broth with veggies and udon noodles. Just enough heat to rewarm the meat without drying it, or shriveling it.

I could power through three or four bowls of that on a cold day.

You're killing me! :)

Hey Texican, what temp do you smoke your Briskets at?

Hey Texican, what temp do you smoke your Briskets at?

215 ........this rig is not hard to keep constant.......I slept 6 hrs friday nite, had the firebox stoked and it was 190 when I woke.....

215 ........this rig is not hard to keep constant.......I slept 6 hrs friday nite, had the firebox stoked and it was 190 when I woke.....

okay, cool. I've been doing my briskets at 250, and they're good, but they only seem to remain ideally moist within a few scant minutes after they're cut, and then they get a little dry.

I was thinking about dropping down to 225 next time around, but I wanted to ask a pro.

Texas trick for dry smoked meat..........pour can of warm Dr Pepper over the meat......
I have used this on Pulled Pork and brisket.......an old timer told me 'bout it.

Butch

Thanks for the tip. Talking to some other folks, they say to foil 'em up for longer than I do after they leave the heat, and stash in a dry cooler to rest. It's supposed to keep it from losing too much moisture.

I have noticed something interesting with my smoked jerky.

When it was done, I used to let it cool in the open air. Then I read somewhere to try sealing it in a ziplock bag to seal in the moisture and increase flavor, so I did. Now that's my SOP, I seal it in gallon bags and throw it in the refrigerator for a week before separating and vacuum sealing. At first moisture condenses on the inside of the bag, but then is reabsorbed by the meat after about 4 days. Wow, what a difference.

I haven't tried this with anything other than jerky, but I'm curious if anyone else has??? My next batch of jerky, I may do this with a tri-tip or something.

I freeze lots of my stuff, use the exact same method as you, cool, bag, then vacuum seal before freezing.
I usually do this the day after rather than 4 days later....super moist when thawed and prepped

Alright Tex, I've got a 15LB whole packer on the Smokey Mountain right now, been on since 0900 Thursday, and will probably take until 1100 Friday at 215. No trimming done, left it alone, with the fat cap facing down toward the heat (my preference with a bullet smoker).

I did a simple rub: 1/4 C. black pepper, 2T brown sugar, 2T Garlic powder 4T Onion powder, 1T Mustard powder, 1T Cayenne, it's on there mostly just to flavor up the bark.

S6300425.jpg

Thanks for the tips, and I'll post up the finished product tomorrow.

Alright Tex, I've got a 15LB whole packer on the Smokey Mountain right now, been on since 0900 Thursday, and will probably take until 1100 Friday at 215. No trimming done, left it alone, with the fat cap facing down toward the heat (my preference with a bullet smoker).

I did a simple rub: 1/4 C. black pepper, 2T brown sugar, 2T Garlic powder 4T Onion powder, 1T Mustard powder, 1T Cayenne, it's on there mostly just to flavor up the bark.

S6300425.jpg

Thanks for the tips, and I'll post up the finished product tomorrow.

We're waiting :flipoff2:. And not so patiently :)

Really, he was all on my a$$ for not posting finished pix of my big smoke.........;);)

I was not! I was just hungry! :p

I forgot to take finished pics, but I'll get a shot of the sandwich I'll be making soon.
Texican, your method works wonders, though, this was the best brisket I've ever made!

Here's the sammich I had for breakfast this morning:
LL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom