Smog Pump Tech - don't lose the spacer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I there's been a few smog pump threads recently and I didn't see anyone mention that in the removal/installation process not to lose the spacer that bottom bolt goes through.

You may not even notice it. I wouldn't have if my toyota mechanic friend hadn't told me it was there and not to lose it, mainly during the install, when you push the bolt bolt through it 99% time pushes the spacer out.

Its about the diameter of dime, 1/2" depth with a hole for the bolt and sits in the mounting bracket hole. I imagine you can still install it with out it but it and run it, but it may not be 100% aligned or something.

Just and FYI others can chime.

oh yes, that thing popped out but i made sure it got back in there. by the way i wound up with a cardone from o'reillys , kragen they merged i guess. the p.o. had a smog pump in there that was piped wrong. he had added an exstension and piece of hose to the hose that goes to the air cleaner and used a straight short one on the other shorter one. i took his extension off , got the correct shorter hose with bends, loosened the power steering pressure line and lifted it about1 inch and every thing fit perfect.I could'nt have figured it out without mud i am eternally gratefull it starts up thursday late afternoon if everything goes well ,i'll insure it on friday and be breaking it in over the weekend. mark

Pic of Smog Pump spacer

Just had my OEM smog pump rebuilt.
Can someone post up a pic or give dimensions to the spacer?

Or do we really need it?

You absolutely need it. It keeps the bolt snug in the bracket for the smog pump. Without it, I would imagine your belts would be totally misaligned and create hazardous conditions for the pulleys (thus making them wear out pretty quick).

Just had my OEM smog pump rebuilt.
Can someone post up a pic or give dimensions to the spacer?

Or do we really need it?

Where'd you get the pump rebuilt ? I'm looking for a good place.

Can I make my own?

Same question as above. Is this a Cdan thing or could I just fab one up myself.

I got my pump rebuilt for $150 by:
Kobi Goren
The Rebuilding Factory
orders@rebuildingfactory.com
(805) 484-6888

I have not installed my pump yet.

Same question as above. Is this a Cdan thing or could I just fab one up myself.

I got my pump rebuilt for $150 by:
Kobi Goren
The Rebuilding Factory
orders@rebuildingfactory.com
(805) 484-6888

I have not installed my pump yet.

Oh, yeah, I've seen that place online - they're about a 1/2 hr away from me...

How's the rebuild look? You happy with it? New bearings? Carbons?

Not sure what spacer is being talked about? You mean the adj nut the long adj bolt screws into?

:confused:

Spacer

I will post some pics tonite.
Overall, it looks clean. But I have not run it yet.

The shipping crushed one of my tubes.

Still looking for the spacer. I just dont know what we are talking about.

There is a lower bolt that holds the smog pump onto the bracket. The spacer is in the hole (on the firewall side) of the smog pump bracket. The lower bolt passes through the front part of the bracket, then smog pump, then the rear part of the bracket (inside of the spacer). Hope this helps.

BTW, if you haven't seen it, it's probably wedged in the bracket which is fine. As long as there isn't excessive play.

I found the dimensions I wrote down for the spacer:
In true Toyota form (metric dimensions)
12mm OD, 7.9mm long, & a 9.3mm through hole.

I found the dimensions I wrote down for the spacer:
In true Toyota form (metric dimensions)
12mm OD, 7.9mm long, & a 9.3mm through hole.
Thanks for posting this! Where did you get the dimensions ? It doesnt seem like Toyota sells this spacer seperately. I found some spacers in a local hardware store but they dont fit.

I took out my smog pump to clean some things up in the engine bay. Upon reinstallation when I put in the long bolt at the bottom, the spacer came out, just as was posted early on in this thread. When I tried to re-install the spacer, i tried to "expand" it such that it would stay in place once in the hole. Sure enough, the spacer broke.

Any idea where I can find something close to the original replacement ?

I can look in my pile of stuff... might still have mine. Post a pix of it regardless and I'll see what's in my box in the garage of smog guts tomorrow. Tag me to remind me.

I can look in my pile of stuff... might still have mine. Post a pix of it regardless and I'll see what's in my box in the garage of smog guts tomorrow. Tag me to remind me.

Ok Thanks. Fortunately I took a picture of everything before I tried re-assembly. You will notice that the "mysterious metal tube" (the spacer in question) has a cut in it that I assumed was for me to "expand" the spacer once in the hole of the air pump bracket so the spacer wouldn't move. Unfortunately I bent it to the point of cracking in half.

IMG_4884.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1d2.jpeg

That is darn familiar... not promising but I'll take a look tomorrow when it's light out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom