"Smart Alternator" Charger Wiring Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleak

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm having to replace my CTEK charger because it doesn't charge my service battery at all; apparently the alternator in a '16 Land Cruiser is too "smart". The new one has a wire that has to be connected to: "Ignition signal, +15 clamp (DIN 72552)."
Does anyone know what/where that is? Other sources call it "battery positive from ignition switch."
I'd like to do this myself, rather than paying someone $135 an hour labor for something that should be easy.

The CTEK D250SA, which will replace the D250S Dual. I figure the "SA" is for smart alternator.

That AOC seems like $81 AUD for 2 diodes :)

I'm thinking it's a diode (anode-cathode) in parallel with a second diode (cathode-anode). Ensures about a 0.5V voltage drop and is polarity independent.

I need to start making some of these and calling them something fancy too :)

cheers,
george.

That AOC seems like $81 AUD for 2 diodes :)

I'm thinking it's a diode (anode-cathode) in parallel with a second diode (cathode-anode). Ensures about a 0.5V voltage drop and is polarity independent.

I need to start making some of these and calling them something fancy too :)

cheers,
george.

If you do .. ( and please do ) count me in ! ( for whatever price you wanna charge seriously ... I'm suffering anxiety every time I see my V in 13.2 )

Just get 2 diodes, I'm sure just 1A rated would be fine. Put one way (band one end) and the other the other way. Solder them so they are now in parallel. Something like a 1N4004 should be ok. Basically the voltage drop across the diode will fake out the sensing of the ECU, thinking the batteries are about 0.5V lower than they actually are and so run up the alternator at slightly higher voltage.

Put in series with existing fuse if you have one to keep the circuit protected.

Can't do any harm to try out and won't cost more than a $1 or so depending on where you buy the diodes.

cheers,
george.

Yes, but NOT at that rip off price!!!

I could mail you some to try...

cheers,
george.

I didn't answer your question about the alternator fuse but yes .. as you see the Piranha it's a " fuse " shape to put it in place of the factory fuse ..

PIR-AOC_wat-350x350.jpg

DBAOC.jpg

if I got you right the diodes must be oposite to each other .. ? that would't cancel each other work ?

Take a look !

I didn't answer your question about the alternator fuse but yes .. as you see the Piranha it's a " fuse " shape to put it in place of the factory fuse ..

if I got you right the diodes must be oposite to each other .. ? that would't cancel each other work ?

Diodes in parallel, but one pointing one way and the other the other way. They won't cancel... They basically provide a 0.5V (nominal) voltage drop either way, so you don't need to worry about 'polarity' when you insert into the fuse holder.

Or use 1 diode and insert the correct way around...

cheers,
george.

Diodes in parallel, but one pointing one way and the other the other way. They won't cancel... They basically provide a 0.5V (nominal) voltage drop either way, so you don't need to worry about 'polarity' when you insert into the fuse holder.

View attachment 1994677

Or use 1 diode and insert the correct way around...

cheers,
george.

George ..

I'm doing this and wonder what wappen if I only use one diode and won't place in the right direction .?

found this " better " price .?

Amazon product ASIN B07CDCTZ8R

Charge 7.5A in your fuse box is the Charge light status signal - lights up your charge light if the alternator isn't putting output.

By ALT-S, what specific signal are you looking for?

cheers,
george.

Charge 7.5A in your fuse box is the Charge light status signal - lights up your charge light if the alternator isn't putting output.

By ALT-S, what specific signal are you looking for?

cheers,
george.
I want to insert the
1603300361959.png

And for this you need to find the Altonator Fuse (ALT-S), but it seems that I do not have one... got to search the enginebay once again tomorrow... but I did that already and couldnt find any other fuses...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom