Slow Drip in Sun Roof (Not Drainage) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys! I just purchased a 1999 LX470 (woo!) and obviously there are a few little quirks. We're getting some heavy rain in SoCal right now and I noticed a slight drip in the rear middle section of my sunroof, my drains are all clear and just curious what else it may be before I take it in? Thanks! Added a photo of the ole girl.

IMG_0956.jpeg

The leak you are getting is the seal leak between where the glass attaches to the hard plastic. I have the same leak. In my case I am planning to use some flowable sealant to seal the gap.

Also, love the truck!

The leak you are getting is the seal leak between where the glass attaches to the hard plastic. I have the same leak. In my case I am planning to use some flowable sealant to seal the gap.

Also, love the truck!
Thanks! Are you just going to apply it directly on top then?

I am planning to pull the sunroof glass once it dries up a bit so I can bring it inside to ensure it is warm so the adhesive works correctly. Planning to angle the glass with the back seam where it is leaking lower than the front of the glass so the flowable sealant and flow into the correct area. Might also add some blue painters tape on the glass to ensure it has a nice edge.

@awesomeissquid is right on, a few of us had this leak last year and the sealant fix works just fine. You'll probably see a bit of seam separation in that hard rubber/plastic at the center of both front and rear edges as well.

Another vote for awesomeissquid's assessment. Just dealt with same leak myself. I attempted sealing it a few times but it always eventually leaked again. I live in the PNW though. New sunroof glass fixed it.

I just finished repairing the jammed sunroof on my '99 LC and tested it for leaks at the car wash. Zero. The seals are original. Spent some serious time on the job (time consuming and 4-5 bananas) and ensured that it was properly adjusted. Maybe yours needs adjustment too? Just sayin'.
Ned

I am planning to pull the sunroof glass once it dries up a bit so I can bring it inside to ensure it is warm so the adhesive works correctly. Planning to angle the glass with the back seam where it is leaking lower than the front of the glass so the flowable sealant and flow into the correct area. Might also add some blue painters tape on the glass to ensure it has a nice edge.
There a video lying around of how to do it?

I repaired the same leak at the end of Summer, where the plastic trim was cracked and leaking through (had about a 1/16" gap). Was planning to replace the gasket but didn't end up doing it (the gasket and plastic trim got hung up on the roof when closing it after tilt function). Anyways, I just pulled back the plastic trim and squeezed a small bead of black silicone in there, pushed the plastic back into place, then ran a thin bead along the plastic frame and called it a day. Has been holding up, wife regularly takes it through the car wash. I didn't do it yet, but plan to disconnect the wiring so nobody can open the sunroof glass, we hardly ever used it anyway

I’m having a similar problem on my 98. I got in my rig this week after a night of very heavy rain and there was water everywhere. Especially in the ceiling and on my floor mats. It looks like the sunroof is the culprit. Visually I can’t see a gap but it seems to be coming in the front left side. My rack makes it difficult to get a good look at it.

Another 100 owner with a leaky sunroof would also know what is best used to seal up the leaky sunroof. Mine has already been made non-functional by PO. Silicone or something else? Thanks.

I'm not sure what the best sealant option is, but I'd be careful with silicone. IMO the only appropriate place for that stuff is your shower. It's almost impossible to remove the residue and not much sticks to it if you ever need to re-seal it in the future.

I was doing some digging through older threads and a few guys recommended PERATEX flowable silicone windshield and glass sealer. Anyone use this product and have good results?

Whats up dbfw! I'm in Tacoma also!

I was doing some digging through older threads and a few guys recommended PERATEX flowable silicone windshield and glass sealer. Anyone use this product and have good results?

Whats up dbfw! I'm in Tacoma also!
Hey! Yep, we're always good early testers of the rainwater leak failures up here! But on the plus side at least we don't have to worry too much about rust or extreme heat making everything plastic and rubber too brittle. I'm sure I'll need to re-seal mine at some point, so curious what the consensus ends up on the best sealant.

How did you unclog?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom