slipping clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i do it with no forcing and no grinding, just time the revs. a cousin who races mini's (not hiluxs, the tiny little 60's cars ) taught me that.

i do it without thinking now.

[quote author=s79bj40 link=board=1;threadid=5053;start=msg40041#msg40041 date=1063241588]
so high gear slip is normal for a old hj? Its just that a 3.6litre 6 is no v8, and I would have thought high torque reuirements going up hills at speed, the ol' 6 wouln't give enough big Nm s to break traction with the rest of the drivetrain? Hrm, whatever it is, sounds like a fun job BadR and i have to do thou. The current clutch on (mine) is MIA. Last seen 40 clicks from the homestead :(

Sam
[/quote]
Sam I only meant that it slips a little as you let the clutch out otherwise the gear changes would be rough .Thats the main difference between a heavy duty /racing clutch
and a normal clutch.If its slipping under normal operating conditions something is wrong.The PO of my fj73 drove it till the clutch lining separated from the plate.

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=1;threadid=5053;start=msg40084#msg40084 date=1063246835]
how bad is it to change gears without the clutch? i'm quite proficient at it since last time my clutch master let go.

Changing without the clutch is a matter of timing and matching the speed of the gears so they mesh without grinding.Ithink thats how the old truckies changed gear all the time to save the clutch from overheating.Also fully synchromesh boxes are relatively new.
[/quote]

i was berated for doing it in the truck once, even though i was just copying everyone else :( I also tried it in the 40 for a short trip, and it was so easy to do, but they say get it wrong, and the synchros quickly become metal shavings. I was told that some trucks were specially designed with crash boxes and also some race cars which could handle it, but the normal box wont for long. So i'd say do it with care, because, it wont stop the clutch from slipping at this point, so theres not a lot to gain by doing it.

in big truks they're shifting w/o the clutch virtually all the time... if I had 13+ plus gears I wouldn't want to use the clutch either. I've done this in a number of cars and never had tranny issues w/ any of them... and for the clutch it's one of the nicest things you can do!

jm

I shift without the clutch most times. I got the clutch in my Dakota to last 168,000 miles. Then only had to change it because the throw out bearing failed. The clutch and preasure plate still looked good. I wouldn't have had a problem if I had a greasable throwout bearing, like big trucks.

the shifting without a clutch question was unrelated to the slipping question, it just got me thinking. the clutch hasn't slipped all week now, but i'll still take it apart when i get my other rig back to drivable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom