slippin tranny? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A lil backround..My previous SUV was a '78 suburban built 350,Turbo 400 trannywith shift kit..needless to say the shift was instant no questions asked.Now the cruiser is silky smooth but I've noticed when slowing down to around 10-15 mph (such as makin a turn) and then I begin my accelration there is an obvious delay as if the tranny isn't sure which gear (1st or 2nd) it should be in.I would say this happens 50% of the time maybe a lil less.Is this normal? also, how often and when do you guys use the overdrive? I'm at the point now where I use it only when on the hwy(50 mph or more).

The ECT (electronicly controlled transmission) is set up to "momentarily reduce engine output during shifts to enhance shift smoothness" (more or less). It is the opposite of a SBCV8 in front of a "Kitted" TH350. If you want a bit more of a positive shift, try the "power" mode. It may also be prudent to check the adjustment of the kick-down cable.

Dan.

c-dan,im new to this cruiser can u tell me exactly where to find the kick down cable and how can I tell if it's properly adjusted?
thnx,Vince

I forgot to mention this delay is accompanied by a slight rev(maybe 1,000 rpm's) then it finally catches and goes into the proper gear.

How many miles on your truck? This problem was solved for me with a throttle cable. The clincher was an idle that was different at times as well as slow to drop from a higher rev. The cable would hold open the throttle slightly. Once the new cable was installed everything has been fine.

Vince,

There are three cables attached to the throttle body. One from the gas pedal, one from the cruise servo on the RH inner ferder apron and the kickdown cable. The kickdown cable takes off down the RH side of the engine. The throttle body side of the cable housing has a rubber boot/shroud thingy on the end of it. The cable core has a fishing line sinker looking ball swedged onto it. This "sinker" should just barely protrude past the end of the rubber shroud when the throttle plate is closed. If you wish, you may adjust the cable slightly to expose a bit more of the ball. I would not go more than one or two turns on the adjusting nuts and then go for a drive, It takes very little movement of the cable to change the shift points.
Landtank also has brought up a very valid point. We are starting to see worn throttle(accelerator) cables that are hanging up in the casing. this causes eratic idle speeds as well as confusing the transmission Kick-down cable as to how far open the throttle plate is.
Dan.

Landtank,She's got 90,000 primarily street miles on her.Haven't noticed any idle prob. other than some hiccups andthe rev is pretty consistent when dropping on speed,but I will be awre of anything like that in the future now.Thnx. c-dan I'm gonna go track down that kick down cable now and maybe (more like most definately) tinker a lil..Thnx

97Cruiser, your right around the area for the problem I described. When you come to a stop watch your RPMs. They should hang momentarilly a 100 or so above normal and then drop quickly to idle. My idle now is at a constant 600 rpm in drive. Before the cable replacement that drop wasn't obvious and if it got to 600 it took a while. When I finally realized what was going on the idle would sometimes be as high as 750 and not drop at all.

Thnx landtank ,I'll look for that when I go grouse hunting in about 1 hour.Hey you wouldnt happen to know how to get the 2 back screws on the front roof rack mounts off would ya? They seem to be stripped. I got the 2 front screws out and tried lifting up on the rack while unscrewing them but to no avail.I want that sucker OFF!

97cruiser- Identical behavior here on my '97 80 w/ 50k miles. Had the throttle cable checked at the dealer and they said it was right on spec. Strangely enough, I had almost exactly the same behavior on my old '93 80 (which has a different tranny- the A442F) w/ 90k on it!. Not sure if this is normal or if both had the throttle cable problem.

97cruiser,

Brace yourself for what you will find underneath the factory rack. It will likely have worn through the paint and you will probably have some rust, depending on where the truck has spent the last 6 years.

There are archive posts regarding the factory (actually US port installed) rack.

-B-

14Sep2003 (UTC -7)

On my previous 1997 FZJ-80, I switched over the ATF to Mobil1. My seat-of-the-pants observation is that it shifted faster; less of that luxurious slip.

97cruiser or others, I am not sure what the final consensus was on the low speed slip while turning around 10 miles an hour or so. Mine does this and as someone sugusted a while back, I adjusted my TPS back just a hair. It did help the problem quite a bit. Still will slip and grab slightly sometimes which does not feel normal to me. It feels like the tranny does not know what gear to be in so it stays in neutral than grabs into first (before adjusting the TPS, mine would slam into second).

97Cruiser, did you replace your throttle cable and did this help?

I have not noticed anything wrong with my idle but I will pay attention more closely.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew

Andresreef,

No I have not replaced the throttle cable. My idle is at 600 - 625 normal and the shifting patterns seem to be normal from what i have read. I was used to the t-400 tranny with a shift-kit. Very quick and certain. The tlc tranny is sooo smooth and supposedly very durable so I am leaving well enough alone. I tow a 2,000 lb. trailer about 5-6 times a year here in hells canyon (big long hills) and have noticed no difference in tranny so I am callin it good. Mine still slams into second if I drive it just right but I have learned what not to do and I believe this phenomenon is related to the computer and not a failing tranny.

Vince

landtoy80 said:
My 94 does the same when I turn corner. There is a delay and then it picks a gear.

IT's probably the kick down cable.

I myself have really never figured out how to adjust the darn thing. I keep pulling the TB off for different reasons and when I re-adjust the kick down cable the problem usually goes away the tighter I make the cable.

slippin tranny

sorry for the newbie question, is the kickdown cable the same as the throttle cable?

97cruiser said:
Thnx landtank ,I'll look for that when I go grouse hunting in about 1 hour.Hey you wouldnt happen to know how to get the 2 back screws on the front roof rack mounts off would ya? They seem to be stripped. I got the 2 front screws out and tried lifting up on the rack while unscrewing them but to no avail.I want that sucker OFF!

Finally, somebody else!
was getting kinda annoyed that it seemed like just RT and I had to deal with the nightmare!
check a flurry of recent posts on my roof rack saga...
oh, yes, ENJOY! :D
E

e9999 said:
Finally, somebody else!
was getting kinda annoyed that it seemed like just RT and I had to deal with the nightmare!
check a flurry of recent posts on my roof rack saga...
oh, yes, ENJOY! :D
E

E - missery loves company ehh...? Hope you're happy now :flipoff2:

Oh I'm no company of his misery. Check the date on my post. Last (2003) grouse season BWAHAHAHAH!!! oh, and ENJOY!

Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom