Slight fuel leak/weeping on injector pump - 3B (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.humboldt.edu
Hi folks,

I've got a slight weeping leak around where the #3 & #4 injector hard lines (the two rear lines, nearest the cab) run out of the injector pump. It's minor but noticeable after driving (I can smell fuel/it's wet).

How should I tackle this? Can I just retorque those nuts on the hard lines? Am I looking at a seal replacement?

Thanks,
B

Try tightening them but it could be cracked lines or the fitting in the top of the pump. If they're cracked try brazing them if you can't get replacements. Can you see exactly where they are leaking or is it just a gentle weep?

A little caution (that you might already know, but others could benefit from);

the nuts that make the connection between the injection pump and the four injection lines can become stuck to the lines. While you're mustering all your might to tighten/loosen the nuts, you might miss the injector line twisting with the nut.

It's easy to put some penetrating oil on the nuts before you try turning them, rather than sourcing new lines/brazing your old lines, or going crazy because you can't troubleshoot your injection problems (was it Cruiser_Guy that finally found little crack in an injection line???).

HTH,
Steve

Thanks guys.

It was a pain to get a wrench on the larger, lower nuts on #s 2 and 3 because the other nuts get in the way--any tricks for this? I could turn them a little but my wrench kept getting hung up on the other nuts.

It looked to be like the smaller upper nuts held the lines down, and I was concerned about twisting them, so I loosened the upper nuts a little before I tried to tighten the larger nuts. I dunno if this is right or not, but the lines didn't twist too much.

It seemed like I got it to stop--it wasn't leaking at idle or when I throttled it up, but it was dark by the time I got home tonight so I will have to check tomorrow. Didn't smell the diesel as much though.

B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom