Skids- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have to ask......any difference on a rig with the kdss?

Yes - you'll probably need to trim the front skidplate to clear the sway bar.

No front sway bar. Removed that when I installed the total chaos lower control arms
I believe that was the only point that interfered with my Budbuilt skids, so you might be ok.

I'm looking at steel skids for my truck and want to get a second opinion. I'm planning on keeping my sway bars and am only planning to lift my truck 2" max in the future. I was leaning towards the RCI skids but want the most protection I can get for my truck since there is a lot of rock crawling/rocky trails on the east coast. Does anyone have experience with both Budbuilt and RCI skids for the 120 series (w/o KDSS)? I've been trying to find more information about each and I've run out of threads to look at. The pros and cons of each seem to be the following

The pros of the Budbuilt vs RCI:
  • The front skid is larger and provides the eccentric bolts better protection than the RCI
  • The gas tank skid better protects the tank and is supported by the transfer skid than RCI
  • It looks like theres a door for easy oil changes in the front skid vs none on the RCI
The pros of RCI vs Budbuilt:
  • The RCI is quite a bit cheaper than the Budbuilt
  • I can get full protection and lower link skids from RCI for the same price as the Budbuilt
  • The RCI seems to be more compatible and doesn't have any clearance issues I've read about vs Budbulit (seems to hit the exhaust on the mid skid per this thread by Jlee) among other things
Can anyone add anything to this or have any advice they could pass along? Thanks in advance!

I have the RCI full set and every time I wheel the transfer case skid gets bent and rubs the exhaust. Other then that there fine.

I have the RCI full set and every time I wheel the transfer case skid gets bent and rubs the exhaust. Other then that there fine.

That sounds like you have the same issue as on the Budbuilt that I mentioned above. Good to know

I have rci. They are good. Bud makes good stuff too. Can’t go wrong

I have rci. They are good. Bud makes good stuff too. Can’t go wrong
I thought you have the ASFIR aluminum skids?

I sort of tore them to bits and folded them on the rubicon last summer :)

So basically it seems like either is good and the reasons to pay the extra for the budbuilt would be if the additional protection over the RCI and the oil drain opening is personally worth it for the added cost.

Pretty much nailed it

Now that you say that I'm seeing that it looks like the gussets are now standard on the RCI mid skid:

All transmission skid plates now come standard with center gussets, a feature exclusive to RCI. Due to the location of the transmission skid plate and spanning a two foot gap, skid plates in this area are prone to getting bent. With this plate that is no longer the case!

I also called Budbuilt and was told that their trans skid plate has also been changed to make it stronger. They use 3/8" plate on this part now as well as some gussets to prevent it bending and hitting the exhaust.

They also have something new in the works for our trucks coming out in a few months

I’m just going to weld in my own gussets, just out side of where rci puts the holes to bolt there on. ( until the exhaust reroute )

Now that you say that I'm seeing that it looks like the gussets are now standard on the RCI mid skid:

I also called Budbuilt and was told that their trans skid plate has also been changed to make it stronger. They use 3/8" plate on this part now as well as some gussets to prevent it bending and hitting the exhaust.

They also have something new in the works for our trucks coming out in a few months
Budbuilt does have free shipping right now. Makes them a good deal for the whole skid package including the gas tank skid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom