Skid plates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Everything I have seen has been custom per order.

I still want to see a very thin aluminum skid with Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene attached to it. The aluminum spreads the load, the UHMW provides a heat and abrasion resistance surface with low weight...

Anyone wanna experiment? :)

So what hapened to the cuttingboards idea dan. :grinpimp: :D

I would sure enjoy a bigger center diff skidplate and one that covers the whole between the torsen and the gastank. The stock one up front takes one hell of a beating you don't slide but it'll hold. I haven't tested the center diff one but it looks like it's made out of confetti.

UHMW is the cutting board material idea! I think it does need some sort of metal to back it so it doesn't flex too much on high impact hits, but the concept is the same.

Looks like a 4'x8' sheet of .25" UHMW is about $174. I would think that you could actually use the stock black metal plates as backing for this stuff...would just need to be creative in mounting it with recessed bolts, etc. It is STRONG stuff so I think .25" would be enough...should weigh less than most of the aftermarket gear AND get better coverage and abrasion/impact resistance.

They use this stuff on the bottom of harvesting equipment and bulldozers, as well as in the beds of the enormous dump trucks, etc to prevent damage over time to the steel and to allow everything to slide better...sounds about right for us no?

Last edited:
Now we just need someone with the facilities to fab the darn thing and we can all oooooh and aaaaaah over a cutting board skidder :)

I think it is a great idea, I just don't have the means to make em.

uhmw

i used to make hardwood forms, and lay thin plexiglass on them, and put them in an oven at 200 degrees, and the plexi would soften and droop over the forms.
This COULD be said for forming the UHMW to the skid plate.
anyone with access to a industrail oven, like a powder coater, could probably pop in the plate at the end of a cycle, as the oven cools down. I couldnt see that the UHMW would take that long to soften.
I will have to check with the powder-coat guy i know.
or....
anyone work late at the pizza store? that would be best. just make sure you have a large plate of tin to protect the oven, and dont do it while the boss is there.
maybe even over a large bed of charcoal???
i am definately going to investigate this.

Last edited:
first person to experiment is gonna drop some coin...a sheet of that stuff is like $200.

i could actually use the stuff around the shop. makes good no-slip sufaces on stationary power tools, saw fences and stuff.
anyone know an on-line source?

Wouldnt a 200 + degree exhaust pipe cause a few problems with that type of skid plate ?

Not if you backed it with metal. The trick is you want the structural (truck facing) side to be metal and the dirt/rock facing side to be this material.

This is what I was mentioning with forming it to the stock skidplate (the black ones) under the front diff.

inthewall said:
Wouldnt a 200 + degree exhaust pipe cause a few problems with that type of skid plate ?

The earlier link notes a "hot" version that would endure heat over 250...
BTW, i wouldn't think you'd make one for the muffler anyhow...

inthewall said:

That's a good idea. I was thinking about putting this stuff over the steel plate and hitting it with an Industrial HEAT GUN to mold it?

What do you think Dan?

That HDPE looks good. Where can you get it, at a Home Depot, Lowes or other store such as these?

I built a skid for these last month for the TTORA rubicon....

Event, they were on the Yellow FJ that was wasted by the 'Con, I think it was driver error. Anyway, the insurance company totalled it and AJ @ Bentup in Sac bought it. He had made the bumpers for it (and they came through fine) and he and I developed the skid. The skid plate also held up fine, I will try and get some pics tommorrow night of it. It is scratched to hell but it only took a 3/4" dent where it dropped on a rock from 20"ish. We are going to be making 2 small changes and then it will be released.

This is the FJ that Marlin pretty much towed all the way after he blew out the rear axle and tore off the passenger rear link bracket (I already make those but I didn't make that one!) The truck right side of the body is trash now but we will rebuild it to our specs! It will be very good to actually have one to build on like the big guys!:bounce: :bounce2:

Gravel Maker said:
I will try and get some pics tommorrow night of it. It is scratched to hell but it only took a 3/4" dent where it dropped on a rock from 20"ish. We are going to be making 2 small changes and then it will be released.

Do you have any pics and when do you think you will be releasing them...

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom