Skid plate for Colorado passes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm putting BP-51 and 33's on my 2019 LC so will end up with about 3" lift. Would like to take it to Colorado and do some exploring hitting several of the popular passes. Would skid plates be needed? Thanks.

I'm putting BP-51 and 33's on my 2019 LC so will end up with about 3" lift. Would like to take it to Colorado and do some exploring hitting several of the popular passes. Would skid plates be needed? Thanks.

If you do not yet have ROCK SLIDERS, sliders are far more essential. BudBuilt, Slee or MetalTech sliders are great choices.

If you already have sliders, ARB, Slee, Budbuilt skids will give you the protection you seek.

If you go 34s, it may reduce or eliminate the need for skids. That's unless you raise the ante on technical trails you'd like to do.

@fogby, honestly brother, Colorado passes are pretty calm trails, and can mostly be navigated by Subarus. That’s not to knock those trails. They are beautiful and a must to run, but I wouldn’t worry about being heavily outfitted for them.

I recommended going out on an adventure and seeing if/what you hit first. Then after that trip, decide if you really need to invest in skid plates.

Outside of the factory transfer case shield, the factory front skids will take one really good hit. They’ll be pretty beat up after that, but they will do their job once.

Then you can take what you experienced from that trip and focus your funds on what will best help YOU have a more capable vehicle for your style of backcountry travel.

Always remember, what works for someone, may not work for then next guy, and that’s okay. But it does make it to where you should slowly build your truck instead of putting too much in it at first.

But as @Markuson said, sliders are great for anyone. From rock gardens to parking lots, slider stop side damage so be sure to have those.

(I’m not making fun of parking lots, I wheel in rock as much as I can, and the amount of other people’s car paint on my sliders from potential door dings makes me happy)

Last edited:
No amount of tire size would ever make sliders obsolete.

Since stock LCs come with full complement of skid plates already, sliders take priority over aftermarket skids IMO...stock skids are lightweight and effective enough for CO trails.

If you're willing to wait and have a local ARB dealer, ARB makes good (relatively) lightweight sliders along with the above listed brands: ARB Summit SLIDERS

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom