SKF vs. Koyo or Timken (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am tallying up the bearings I need to replace in the diff and wheels(front/rear/side and wheel sets). I hear Koyo is the best but most of the vendors(NAPA, Checker,etc.) offer SKF brand. What are your thoughts? Does brand make a big difference?

Thanks,
Chris

I prefer Koyo. No scientific reasons, can't defend it, just my preference.

Not much help, am I? ::)

I have not used SKF but I have used Timken and they have been around for ever. I think I would lean toward bearings produced in Japan or the United States as opposed to some of the other off-shore sources. Again, that is a personal preference, no scientific stuff to cite. ;)

I was told by NAPA SKF are made in USA, (farm/tractor background). My scare is getting bearing that dont quite fit right, maybe I am over thinking this?

Chris

IIRC, bearings are sized to international standards. So, an XYZ123 bearing made in Russia should have the same dimensions as one made in China or America or wherever.

In the case of Toyota bearings the packages have a Toyota 10 or 12 digit number on them and the bearings themselves have some sort of standardized number on them that does not relate to the OEM number. Bearing dealers use this number to "cross" them to thier numbers.

KOYO unless you are a yoyo everything else would be a nono. :D
ernaehrung019.gif
grinning-smiley-010.gif

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=4519;start=msg33903#msg33903 date=1061519288]
KOYO unless you are a yoyo everything else would be a nono. :D
ernaehrung019.gif
grinning-smiley-010.gif

[/quote]

Uhm, have you pulled your wheel bearings? When you order from Toyota, some years have different part numbers. In one case you get Koyo and the other Timken. If I remember correctly, the 97's were Timken :eek: CDan can check for us

There is ,in fact, a choice in the catalog for Timkin or Koyo for the later 80 series. You may use either one. Both were used in production of the vehicles.

I finally did my front axle this weekend -found Timkens from the good 'ol USA on both sides, so I guess they are the originals as Christo predicted.

Koyo is the way to go BUT! you don't always have to look at the dealer to get them and you can save some money......

SKF, if you get rear semi floater wheel bearing(for any Cruiser with a SF) you will get a Koyo bearing(in a Koyo bag) in the SFK(or CR, Chicago Rawhide) box these are the SAME bearing you get from Toyota except they are under $20 vrs $50 from dealer. I use OEM toyota seals.

For the front, again if you get SKF(or CR) wheel bearings, you will get a outer that is a Koyo and an inner that is made in Mexico. I might have the inner and outer backwards.....but one is Koyo and they other is Mexico. Also I won't sware but I think so, that 80's front wheel bearings are the same as all other Cruisers.....but I have been working on mostly 40's and 60/2 lately. The above defenetly aplies to 1990 and before Cruisers.....and I think 80 series.

At one point I could get both inner and outer from CR and both were Koyo, SKF and CR have merged(or one bought the other) so there was a change made awhile back.

OEM wheel bearings are Koyo when they leave the factory. But if you order new ones from the dealer you have(in most cases) 2 choices, one is Koyo and they other is a Timkin, the Timkin is priced 20%ish less.

John H

[quote author=BigMac link=board=2;threadid=4519;start=msg34496#msg34496 date=1061691721]
I finally did my front axle this weekend -found Timkens from the good 'ol USA on both sides, so I guess they are the originals as Christo predicted.
[/quote]

hmmm.....I have never had the rear of a FF on a 80 apart...interesting.

John,

The 80 rear FFA uses the same bearings as the front axle. the oil seal is different though. Toyota did use some Timkins as OEM installs on 80 series front and rear, typically late production vehicles. You, of course, are correct that the dealer can supply either Koyo or Timkin and Timkin is cheaper. It is also possible to get Koyo in a blue "Koyo" labeled box from some afretmarket bearing houses.

Dan.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4519;start=msg34556#msg34556 date=1061739406]
John,

The 80 rear FFA uses the same bearings as the front axle. the oil seal is different though. Toyota did use some Timkins as OEM installs on 80 series front and rear, typically late production vehicles. You, of course, are correct that the dealer can supply either Koyo or Timkin and Timkin is cheaper. It is also possible to get Koyo in a blue "Koyo" labeled box from some afretmarket bearing houses.

Dan.

[/quote]

also fj40/45/60/62 rear FF axles use the same wheel bearing as the front axle, the early(late 70's) FF in a 40 uses a wierd little seal that I could only find a SOR.

didn't know about the late 80's using Timkin.....kinda odd sorta

John

John,

Do you mean the little one on the shaft? 76-Jan 79 was 90311-38146. That one won't come up on the US master. Jan 79 up is 90310-35001, the same as an 80 uses. It may be possible to off-line the early ones.

Dan.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4519;start=msg35343#msg35343 date=1061942313]
John,

Do you mean the little one on the shaft? 76-Jan 79 was 90311-38146. That one won't come up on the US master. Jan 79 up is 90310-35001, the same as an 80 uses. It may be possible to off-line the early ones.

Dan.
[/quote]

Dan, yep thats the one, we tried to find it, even tried an hilux FF(like for a 1ton 2x4)....not the same. Makes sense it's not in the US system as it was never sold here but it was in Canada(where the FF came from) and we can get the canadian parts for most stuff. SOR had it and they are cheap, I got some spares while I was at it.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom