side steps, rock sliders, nerfs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jl

Threads
I just finished putting a lift kit on my FJ60. I can get in and out of the TLC fine, but it's a little difficult for the 4 year-old :).

What are the opinions about putting on side-steps, nerfs, rock sliders? I want input on everyone's pros and cons. I've been thinking about 2 different bolt-on models (no welder am I).

Slee-Off Road
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/60_sliders.htm

Sterling Equipment has a bolt on model that looks like the ARB side step without the bar that attaches to the front bumper. I would have them add some metal underneath to act as a slider.

Is this a good idea, or should I leave well enough alone, and keep lifting the kids in to the '60? I really don't need rock-sliders for the 4 wheeling I do, but I thinking about easy of entry and exit :)

On a long wheel base vehicle like a 60, I would think that sliders would be a good mod. Especially if you ever need them they will save your rockers from a good bashing. As for you kids getting into and out of the rig, the sliders that are tubular (rectangular) and dont have the round tube that rises to protect the door might give your youngster a couple inches more to work with.

Maybe you could just get one of those little exercise trampalines and have him bounce right in! :D

Drew <><

Not much respone. :whoops: I thought there would be a large number of NO don't bolt-on, weld only. But I guess not :).

I don't know that bolt or weld matters much.

However, I do know that many aftermarket sliders don't actually hold up to sliding, but are really just step bars for access and looks.

Slee's stuff will survive....not cheap, but worth the extra for the REAL protection it offers.

i braced my arb bars (see the tech area) i will add more they help my boy get in BUT there only about 2 in lower but there are real nice to wash it :slap: i like to remove my stff so i dont just weld... oh and i have bent mine and used the to push around on :cheers: the doors still open so i guess there doing good :D

Don't forget that anything you under the rig decreases ground clearance so find a compromise between strength and fit. You don't want to end up stuck on a "looky" running board.

Stew,

Thanks for the link. I'm not ready to discard my rocker panels just yet, but it is good to know that I have that option.

Next thing, I'll be cutting out the rocker panels and the rear quarter panels and putting steel tubing around the entire underside of my '60 :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom