Shroud ideas for Griffin Radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Griffin 26x19 aluminum radiator cooling a sbc. I usually run 180-195 during street/freeway driving and even when crawling offroad when temperatures are below 90 degrees or so. Yesterday the temperature was in the neighborhood of 95 and I was seeing 215-220 after 20 minutes of so of crawling. Makes me think a fan shroud would be a good idea.

Anyone with a Griffin 26x19 radiator have a suggestion for a relatively bolt-in fan shroud?

Thanks

if yours is like mine, there's not realy any place to bolt it to on the radiator, so you'll have to find something to bolt to where it mounts...did you use stock cradle? how's yours mounted?

The sbc conversion as well as the radiator was done before I purchased the rig. The bottom mount looks like 1.5 inch angle iron and the top support looks like .5 inch angle iron. There are plenty of places to bolt to the top but the bottom might be a challenge. I just got back from doing a short trail in the area and as long as I was running under 205 or so I could recover down to 190-195 but once things got over 205 my temps shot to 220 and I needed to be real careful or temps would get higher pretty easily. Once I got back on blacktop and had some airflow I was back at 180 in no time. Definitly need a shroud.

Last edited:
Dunno what your fan is, but try going with the OE fan clutch and fan...NO FLEX FANS....go OE and maybe give Ron a call at Custom Cruisers in Gilroy, CA he makes a SWEET shroud for that radiator and he swears by the fan clutch and stock fan combo....his dont overheat. If it works, roll with it.

Thanks warpdrive. I am currently running an electric pusher as well as a 7 blade non-clutch fan. I "think" I'm moving enough air, it just needs to be focused on the radiator with a shroud.

A thermal clutch and 7-blade fan with shroud should move ample air. My shroud is fabbed from aluminum plate and aluminum angle and then a flat piece to form the circumference. If you can weld aluminum your results would look much better.
Radiator (bottom).JPG
Shroud making.JPG
radiator-1.JPG

is there a reason not to use steel sheet metal for the shroud for an aluminum radiator? I am about to make a new shroud for my aluminum radiator.

thanks!
Dustin

Rice. thanks. Your fabbed shroud looks great. How did you fasten the shroud to the radiator?

Thanks

You can also use a Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan/shroud assembly, and it fits the 26x19 aluminum radiator like a glove. This setup with my 5.7L Vortec engine runs at 180-185 degrees under ALL conditions.

Last edited:
Wheelin4 said:
Rice. thanks. Your fabbed shroud looks great. How did you fasten the shroud to the radiator?

Thanks

On the bottom it is mounted to the frame supports that come off the cross member so it doesn't touch the radiator. What made that possible was moving the radiator up by 1" which is room I needed for the fan. On the top it's mounted to the upper flange that goes across the top of the radiator. I've since made a couple changes but the idea is the same.

Dustin, I can think of no reason not to use steel other than the extra weight (so don't mount to the radiator) and the need for paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom