Show your custom-built SSTs (Special Service Tools) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chris FJ80

SILVER Star
Threads
Lots of threads here on MUD describe SSTs (Special Service Tools in Toyota lingo) that mudders have fab'd up for one job or another.

I thought it would be nice to start consolidating these into one thread, so wanted to get it started by posting three simple SSTs I have fabricated.

Suggested post format:
  • Application of the tool
  • Raw stock materials and how you fabricated it
  • How well does it work?
  • Suggestions for improvement for the next guy who makes one
  • Pictures
-----
  • Application: compressing spring on outside (D/S, P/S) mirror posts to remove the U-shaped retaining sleeve
  • Raw stock and fabrication: started with a ¾" female-female threaded pipe fitting then ground to the correct shape with an angle grinder. It took a few iterations to get the clearances right
  • Works perfectly
  • Suggestions for the next guy: start with something (e.g. old socket) with a smaller outer diameter so you don't have to grind the outer perimeter down to make it fit
  • Pictures

MSC1.jpg
MSC2.jpg
MSC3.jpg
MSC4.jpg
MSC5.jpg

Couple of more pics

MSC6.jpg
MSC7.jpg

Second SST:

• Application: removing the radiator stockcock -- help to get a grip with or without a ¼" socket wrench
  • Raw stock and fabrication: started with a1/4" drive 7/16" junk socket and used a dremel tool to grind out a groove that fits the stopcock handle
  • Works perfectly - it allows you to get a little more grip on the stopcock when reaching down from above
  • Suggestions for the next guy: works OK like this. pretty simple
  • Pictures

SC1.JPG
SC2.JPG
SC3.JPG
SC4.JPG
SC5.JPG

Third SST:

• Application: electrical connector terminal pin removal
  • Raw stock and fabrication: el-cheapo HF awl; ground and filed until it met the FSM dimensions
  • Works OK but is too flimsy. It feels like it will bend or break if bent
  • Suggestions for the next guy: start with higher quality steel; not HF pot metal junk
  • Pictures
TP0.jpg
TP1.JPG
TP2.JPG
TP3.JPG

Maybe include a list of links to previous threads/posts showing self-fabricated SST's

Buy a cheap file to make the wiring SST - need high carbon steel instead of whatever that stuff HF makes it's cheap tools from . I'd use the tang end of the file , if it's too soft heat it to a low orange and quench in old motor oil (keep an extinguisher handy, please) .
I've got so many SST homebrew tools I'd crash the site if I posted them up....
Sarge

Buy a cheap file to make the wiring SST - need high carbon steel instead of whatever that stuff HF makes it's cheap tools from . I'd use the tang end of the file , if it's too soft heat it to a low orange and quench in old motor oil (keep an extinguisher handy, please) .
I've got so many SST homebrew tools I'd crash the site if I posted them up....
Sarge
Crash away-this is what the site is for. I think many of us would love to see the tools that have been fabbed up to service our addiction

Nice idea

Love this thread!

STT wrench for accessing the hard to reach supercharger pulley to R&R the SC belt.

0408150759_resized.jpg

• Application: holding the spindle, gaskets, dust shield, etc. when reassembling an 80 series knuckle
  • Raw stock and fabrication: 10mm studs; then grind screwdriver slots in
  • Works great. Many mud members recommend. Super simple, yet saves lots of hassle trying to position everything correctly
  • Suggestions for the next guy: simple and easy already
  • Pictures

• IMG_8643.jpg
    IMG_8644.jpg
    IMG_8646.jpg
    IMG_8649.jpg
    IMG_8867.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom