Should I start adding smaller items or wait for suspension/wheels etc? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m almost finished making a roof rack for my 200. After that, whats the next move?

Stock tires still have about a year left and I don’t want to replace them until they’re actually worn out, which ideally would also mean lift kit and maybe wheels at the same time. Also bumpers, sliders, winch and such.

In the meantime, does it make sense to start adding less significant things such as various lights, gmrs radio, ram mounts, inreach, skid plates, snorkel, etc etc.

I guess it really doesn’t matter the order but I’m just curious what’s really worth it in your personal experience. I don’t plan on any extreme rock climbing, but just general longer range multi-day off road trips.

No need to wait for tires and suspension for the items you listed. None of them add substantial weight, except maybe the skids, and that weight is low and mostly between the axles. When I was working with the guy who specced out my suspension, he wasn’t worried much about weight between the axles, he was more concerned with overhanging weight at the ends (big bumpers, etc).

Last edited:
If you aren’t playing in rock gardens you probably won’t need skids anyway. The stock ones are pretty good for most people’s use.

I’d focus on getting the interior set up as you want since it will have no impact on the outside “system” of mods. Communication, navigation, storage, etc. Even lights could be impacted by what front bumper you end up running, and that can impact what springs are needed, and it turns into a feedback loop. You could run wiring and switches for lighting though, but it’s not as much fun when you can’t actually use them.

No need to wait for tires and suspension for the items you listed. None of them add substantial weight, except maybe the skids, and that weight is low and mostly between the axles. When I was working with the guy who specced out my suspension, he wasn’t worried much about weight between the axles, he was more concerned with overhanging weight at the ends (big bumpers, etc).
IIRC you have King's right? Did Filthy valve them for you or who did you go through?

Yes, you are correct. I worked with Ben at Filthy Motorsports.

IIRC you have King's right? Did Filthy valve them for you or who did you go through?
I used Ben at Filthy and had the same feedback. His concern with total weight was primarily for spring choice and final ride height.. but weight at the ends was important for valving decisions because it has such a big influence on how the vehicle moves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom