Should I pass on this 16 GX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at buying a 1 owner 16 GX460. Very clean, 118k miles with impeccable service history.

My intention is a very mild build. 32-33 inch tires, just to get it a little higher off the ground. Then remove the running boards and install sliders.

Just want it able to handle moderate trails for exploring.

Problem is it is a luxury so it has the adjustable height.

I've never lifted a vehicle with this.

Is it big enough an issue that I should keep looking? In your guys opinions? I've read so many opinions both ways that I'm unsure. Sorry for retreading this ground.

Last edited:
Looking at buying a 1 owner 16 GX460. Very clean, 118k miles with impeccable service history.

My intention is a very mild build. 32-33 inch tires, just to get it a little higher off the ground. Then remove the running boards and install sliders.

Just want it able to handle moderate trails for exploring.

Problem is it is a luxury so it has the adjustable height.

I've never lifted a vehicle with this.

Is it big enough an issue that I should keep looking? In your guys opinions? I've read so many opinions both ways that I'm unsure. Sorry for retreading this ground.
Most of the vehicles on this forum are "Luxury" with that suspension and we've all had no problems with suspension lifts, including myself. Albeit, I had my done at a shop. But it is very common so don't let that stop you. If the price is right, jump right on in, the water is fine!

Most of the vehicles on this forum are "Luxury" with that suspension and we've all had no problems with suspension lifts, including myself. Albeit, I had my done at a shop. But it is very common so don't let that stop you. If the price is right, jump right on in, the water is fine!
Thanks. I will be doing it in my garage and just don't want a huge pain in the ass.

This one has the crawl control/off road camera and radar cruise and mark Levinson sound. Which I've been watching for for awhile.

So I'm leaning toward buying assuming the test drive tomorrow goes well.

Just wanting to check on the difficulty of installing a mild lift. Hoping it all works out.

I’ve done very well on off-road trails without a lift. An off-road front bumper+265/70/17 tires+no running boards.

I would like a lift but so far I’m doing well enough without one. I wouldn’t worry about the air bags, you’ll eventually replace them with coils when they fail. Do the lift at that time.

58628AFF-0516-4D6E-84A0-1EA82B7EA535.jpeg

I’ve done very well on off-road trails without a lift. An off-road front bumper+265/70/17 tires+no running boards.

I would like a lift but so far I’m doing well enough without one. I wouldn’t worry about the air bags, you’ll eventually replace them with coils when they fail. Do the lift at that time.

View attachment 2813368
How’s the ride with the weight of the bumper on the factory suspension?

How’s the ride with the weight of the bumper on the factory suspension?

It added about ~95lbs and I honestly cannot even tell it’s on there. Only when I panic / emergency stop do I feel a slight increase in nose dive. It is almost non-existent. Driving on the highway or around town I do not even feel that extra 95lbs. If you add a winch though you may feel a bit more nose heavy during directional changes.

I ran with air suspension for a while and didn’t have much of a problem. I did install springs to replace the air bags in the later on. I will say that installing the springs was actually easier than replacing the springs on my other 4Runner. As opposed to getting the spring over the lower perch on the rear axle, I placed the coil spring adapter in the spring, slid the adapter and spring in place, then bolted the adapter to the axle. I do think that the car rides much better on good springs and shocks compared to the factory air suspension.

Here is my post on the install

I ran with air suspension for a while and didn’t have much of a problem. I did install springs to replace the air bags in the later on. I will say that installing the springs was actually easier than replacing the springs on my other 4Runner. As opposed to getting the spring over the lower perch on the rear axle, I placed the coil spring adapter in the spring, slid the adapter and spring in place, then bolted the adapter to the axle. I do think that the car rides much better on good springs and shocks compared to the factory air suspension.

Here is my post on the install

Thanks.

But the truck was sold when I got to dealer. Irritating.

My 22 Lunar Rock ORP 4runner is due in the middle of November. Guess I'm sticking with it.

Sorry about missing out on the GX. You would have really liked the V8 over the 6 in the 4R along with all the other creature comforts of the GX, e.g. cooled seats, 3 climate zones, the Mark L. stereo, more comfortable seats, etc.

Last edited:
Lunar Rock is an awesome color, the 4Runner is a great truck, and in situations like this I always try to think that it is the world nudging you in the direction you should go

That's
Lunar Rock is an awesome color, the 4Runner is a great truck, and in situations like this I always try to think that it is the world nudging you in the direction you should go
Same thing the wife said. Looking forward to a zero mile 4runner but I will miss the ventilated seats.

The 4runner is loaded and I think Will be a great vehicle. My 08 FJ is almost too 220k miles and I've been driving it since December 08 lol.

Will be nice to be in something new.

i have the same truck (loaded, air suspnsion, adaptive cruise) with a 2" front spacer lift, adjusted the rear air spring sensor (only about 1"), running 35's, 1" BL and agressive bumper cuts (on the front i made a plate to fill from the bumper to under the radiator support out of 3/16th...go for it! You can swap out the air if you want or just change the shocks and keep the air (or it's easy for a cnc place to make an air spring spacer so you keep the bags but get more travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom