short term effects of adding techron concentrate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
this is the second time I've added techron and second time I've had a noicable performance and mileage boost while it's in the tank that disappears after a second tank at which point the only improvement is smoother idle. Is the temporary improvement a normal side effect or a sign I need to seriously decarbonize?

I can't answer this but have had identical observations with a couple of additives. I've always assumed that the additives themselves have some type of qualities that temporarily improve engine performance. Dunno.

DougM

I'm noticing the same thing in my '97. I put in a bottle to help with light throttle knock. The knock has reduced and performance has increased. I've wondering if it had something to do with the concentrate increasing the effective octane of the fuel in the tank. The resultant decrease in timing reduction by the computer could explain it. I'm waiting to see what it runs like after its out of the tank. I'm sceptical that my results will last, but we'll see.

I just put Techron in yesterday, no startup rattle this morning. Coincidence? prolly, although startup rattle in the morning has been a sure bet for me...keep you posted.

thanks guys. I will do some research into this. if the techron gives an octane increase and that is causing the improvement then I think that is a sign I am carboned up. Higher octane fuel should not improve horsepower or fuel economy in an engine running to spec.

Semlin,
I have noticed the samething.
Higher octance is only one factor, my guess is most additives also increase the BTU.
Increased BTU and less spark retarding will increase horsepower and mileage.
But short term gain then back to normal.
Noticed the same with redline but to a lesser degree.

As Rich mentioned in the "Pinging" thread, the best thing to probably do is capture the data that the engine computer is seeing. That should answer some questions. My GN scanner won't work on the OBDII system. I've got a laptop on order. I might look at checking into some of the new software that is out there. Without highjacking the thread, is there a newer program recommended or do the ones that come up in "search" still work best? I'd like it to work on different cars.

I was just thinking the other day about the differences in the GN compared to here. The GN guys really have the engine electronic data parameters wired for obvious (forced induction racing) reasons. I don't think I still have the link, but there was a website that a guy REALLY dissected the computer chip programing functions. It was amazingly complex, but would be very simpistic compared to a newer OBDII chip. It would be interesting to see such a writeup on a 80's computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom