Shopping help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

We are currently shopping for a GX470 and came across one listed here locally. The pictures show an interior and exterior in great shape. It's black with a dark grey/dark wood interior, 148k on the odometer. Potential red flags include that it has had 7 owners, the most recent having just purchased in May (my hunch is that they bought it and built it to resell). It also seems ready for another timing belt replacement based on the suggested year/mileage interval (it was last done in 2015). They are asking 26,500, but I'm going to offer less based on the timing belt alone. The only immediate need I can see is to add Carplay. Long term would be preventative maintenance items as well as a rear bumper w/spare tire carrier.

Based on the details below, any thoughts on a fair price? I have plans to go see it in person tonight. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance.

2007 LEXUS GX 470

CLEAN LOW MILES @148K
BLACK ONYX W/ GRAY INTERIOR
—CLASSIC PRADO 120 FRONT BUMPER
—3” INCH FULL SUSPENSION
—OFF-ROAD UCA’S
—REAR CONVERSION KIT
—BODY MOUNT CHOP
—35’S NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLER TIRES
—17” ICON BRONZE WHEELS

FULLY SERVICED:
—DASH RECALL DONE
—TIMING BELT @92K
—WATER PUMP @92K
—FRONT/REAR DIFF SERVICE
—OIL CHANGE/FILTER
—CV AXLES
—DIFF DROP
—SWAY BAR LINKS

FULLY LOADED:
—4.7L V8
—4WD W/ CENTER DIFF LOCK
—FULL LEATHER INTERIOR
—MARK LEVINSON SOUND SYSTEM
—NAVIGATION
—HEATED SEATS
—SUNROOF
—TWO KEY FOBS
—TINTED WINDOWS

00N0N_cn3nPlnLkkOz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

01717_32eh7pWitkhz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Way over priced. The market are coming down hard with the looming recession. That is GX460 money.

I mean it's pretty with the wheels and bumper but that is ALL the money! Last year I paid $11,5 for our bone stock 2005 with 191k Florida car

I think its $15k all day. 7 owners.... that would be enough for me to walk away

timing belt and water pump not due until 200k miles…just make sure it was done with the right parts.

Also, which suspension is that? They don’t list the upgraded parts brand names

I would pay $25k if it has BP51s all around, rock sliders, skid plates, plus whatever it has now.

You still have to do the rear diff breather extension, radiator, bump stops, rear bumper, roof rack, regear, rear lockers, etc!

Last edited:
A few things to consider:

1. I would say a good stock GX with 148K should be worth $15K depending on your local market conditions (I'd clarify that as one that needs nothing other than perhaps exhaust manifold replacement). So, it comes down to what you are getting for the $11.5K surcharge on top of that.
2. They aren't listing the type of lift they have on it....but the lift and UCAs alone will be at least $2K in parts (maybe more if they used a really good kit), plus $3K for the wheels and tires, and $1.5K for the bumper. Let's add in $1.5K for labor, the diff drop, and BMC, which puts you at $8K in total mods. All of the other things listed (diff fluid, sway bar end links, CV axles, etc should be considered maintenance and included in the $15K base price). So the total "value" would be around $22.5K or something like $4K under what they are charging (based on my very rough calculations).
3. Now add in all of the other stuff if is probably going to need. It most likely has cracked exhaust manifolds, which is a $1K+ job on top of that. Has the transmission fluid ever been changed - what about the radiator and alternator? Is the frame rusty?
4. Lastly, look at the overall quality of the build. Is this how you would build your GX? Do you really want 35's with stock gearing, which will make the GX pretty slow with poor breaking the a high potential of breaking the 8" rear diff off-road?

Personally, I would pass on it as I think it's a bit overpriced and it's not how I would build my own GX. I know some folks on here do run 35s, but it's not something I would want to do on my GX without some serious upgrades to the differentials and brakes.

There would be some instant gratification in getting one that already looks great, but it's also a ton of fun to get a stock one and build it yourself with hand chosen parts.

Insanely over priced. You can get way more GX for that money. Pass pass pass

Thanks for all of the insight, after seeing it I've decided to pass, even at a reduced price.

Thanks for all of the insight, after seeing it I've decided to pass, even at a reduced price.
Question, was it a dealership in California that specializes in these mild build GXs?

No, it's a private sale in Dallas. I think I know that dealer you're talking about, they basically lift them, put tires and wheels, and mark them up $5k right? We have looked at those.

If it also matters for context, it's very easy to end up at $26.5K all-in on a GX470 build. Things add up very quickly. I am sure I am over $20K on mine but I also put in a lot of mechanical upgrades (headers, transmission valve body, onboard air), good-quality lift, armor like rock sliders and skid plates, and replacing everything worn out (steering rack, suspension components, etc). Most of the GX's that are "pre-built" by a dealer or individual to flip are really just a lift (usually a lower-end) and wheels and tires; they lack many mechanical things you need to actually wheel and may have many other parts that are tired and need replacement.

There was a GX with trashed rear and front bumpers on Craigslist here recently for $5K. I thought about flipping it with a off-road bumper, lift, and tires, and did the math. To flip it "right" in a way where I'd be selling it as something other than a lipsticked mall-crawler, I would have made very little money on it, even doing all of the labor myself. It's not cheap to do one right.

Building it yourself not only adds up in terms of costs, but sometimes it takes a long time and you sometimes have to redo things that didn’t turn out good the first time!

I’m at $22k including purchase price, repairs, and upgrades, but not including maintenance like tires, brakes, fluid changes, battery, which add another $4.3k over 5.5 years.

And I’m at a mild build with no roof rack, no bumpers, no regear, no lockers, but I have done almost all the little things for a well maintained and mildly upgraded rig.

If you don’t mind traveling there’s a bunch in Phoenix on Craigslist.
Wow there are a lot of clean-looking, reasonably priced GXs in Phoenix. All of the decent ones in the Midwest seem to have been gobbled up over the past year. If I was in the market today I would not be opposed to flying to AZ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom