Shock valving options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve spent over 6 hours researching shocks and I need advice on valving options. How does one pick the correct valving for their setup? Weight? Driving style? Daily? Wheeling it? (I’m guessing all of the above)
Have a single cab with 63’s (3 pack) and 1” block. Mostly cruise around with an empty bed. Trucks “purpose” is camping/wheeling. Currently have 5125s (Currently trying time find valving numbers on these) but need a longer shock because they max out on full droop. Hoping to get some different opinions of who’s running what. Thanks in advance!
160/57 current valving.

I used this chart to order my 5125's waiting to be ridden. I think the 175/60 valving is softer and meant for dual shocks.

For the front of my pickup I have 12" with 255/70 and rear is 10" with 255/70.

Bilstein5125chart.jpg

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for! Awesome! Where did you find this? Any list for the 7100 series??

Almost forgot to ask but how do you like the 255/70 valving on your truck??

I haven't been able to ride them yet, the truck is still under the knife.

The only list I've seen for 7100's is from Marlin's shock page;

Marlin Bilstein Length Chart.jpg

Yea, I saw the one on marlins page but it doesn’t list any valving options. What are you doing to your truck? Ok so I’m down to 2 options and would like some input... either a pair of 5165s with 255/70 or a some 7100’s with 278/75. The only issue is the 1/2” heims on the 7100’s... using the stock frame mount on my 84. Anyone know if I can swap out the heim for a bushing?? I know on the 5/8 bushing shocks you can press out the bushing and insert a bushing of your choice.

I have 14" 5125's with 255/70 on all 4 corners. Chev 63's and marlin springs up front. The front is close...probably needs more comp/rebound control. The rear is out to lunch 50% of the time... also probably needs more comp/rebound control. Overall pretty happy how it rides and all that...just want a bit more performance out of them.

Rears are on a 33° angle... I'm going to mount them straight up and down but I reckon that wont be enough.

When I have spare money I'll buy some 7100's and dial it in.

Last edited:
Are the 7100s really that awesome? I wouldn’t mind going that route if they are worth it...

Also, really appreciate the input. Sounds like 255/70 is a good choice in valving.

Remote res, rebuildable, and revalveable.

If those features didnt matter, then I'd just get 255/70 5100 or 5125's and call it a day.

255/70 is Bilstein's ages-old standard valve stack for leaf springs. Low friction springs like the GM 63's don't have enough internal damping so the damping in the shocks needs to be increased slightly. That is what I learned when I put 7100's on the rear of Patch. They came to me with the 255/70 shims and when those weren't quite right I tried the 275/78 shims and I think that those are about as good as it gets w/o spending gobs of time iteratively building a custom damper tune.

I found my old copy of the 7100 re-valve instructions, but it is in a file type that I can not attach (.xls) and I've nowhere to host it. Tried making a text file out of it and that resulted in gibberish. Well, making a CSV out of it at least gets the valve stack listing even if it does screw up all of the formatting and deletes the pictures.

I used WFO's 63's kit and placing their shackle hanger directly behind the OEM hanger resulted in the shackles pointing to 4:00, which is what Eric at Deaver Springs told me to do about 100 years ago on RDC. I'm not sure that he even still works there.

Attachments

• 7100_CSV.csv
    7.8 KB · Views: 92
255/70 is Bilstein's ages-old standard valve stack for leaf springs. Low friction springs like the GM 63's don't have enough internal damping so the damping in the shocks needs to be increased slightly. That is what I learned when I put 7100's on the rear of Patch. They came to me with the 255/70 shims and when those weren't quite right I tried the 275/78 shims and I think that those are about as good as it gets w/o spending gobs of time iteratively building a custom damper tune.

I found my old copy of the 7100 re-valve instructions, but it is in a file type that I can not attach (.xls) and I've nowhere to host it. Tried making a text file out of it and that resulted in gibberish. Well, making a CSV out of it at least gets the valve stack listing even if it does screw up all of the formatting and deletes the pictures.

I used WFO's 63's kit and placing their shackle hanger directly behind the OEM hanger resulted in the shackles pointing to 4:00, which is what Eric at Deaver Springs told me to do about 100 years ago on RDC. I'm not sure that he even still works there.

Sweet link. Could you email me the original format?

What were you running in the front?

OME front springs and 5100's with the std 255/70 valving.

I can email it. my user at yahoo dot com works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom