Options for adding PS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What options do I have for adding Power steering? Currently From the factory no power steering. Am running 34's 5 speed with ac and crawler t-case. And want to add power steering what options do I have? Links?
Thanks

For the '82?

I would look at using an IFS box with cross-over linkage.

Yes the 82, Ok what year IFS box or does it mater? And who would you go to for cross-over linkage?

First gen IFS box AFAIK. There are some that have a vacuum switch in the top of them. Doesn't matter if you use those or not, but I don't think that I'd hook it up.

I'm not a good source for who to buy steering arms from. For my use high-steer is pointless, and that is what all of the bolt-on arms do, and they all specify a lift higher than I had. I built an old school cross-over RS steering arm and then stumbled over it on the garage floor for half a decade or more before I put it on. Had to modify it severely. It's a real trick to get the drag-link to clear both the oil pan and the top of the RS OME leaf spring without resorting to limiting travel in either direction, but it can be done. Going taller lift might have made it easier, but if anything I wanted the truck to be an inch lower than the OME's.
I used Marlin sourced link tubes & FJ80 TRE's.

So, I purchased a full power steering set up from a G1 IFS truck. The PS bracket likely won't fit your engine without modifying or swapping the exhaust manifold shroud. I haven't made it that far, but from mock up, I can tell you it won't fit a non-PS 82 22R (same truck I have).

I used the pump and bracket that my '84 22R already had. I did have Lee Power Steering rebuild it. Can't recall, either the OE hoses worked or the IFS hoses worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom