Shock failure - Dust boots anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After 6 months on the GX and some mild wheeling here in Colorado both my rear shocks lost charge. When I sent them to the manufacturer for rebuild he Informed me that since I did not install aftermarket dust boots that my warranty was voided. Total rebuild cost with shipping was going to be $470 for the pair.
Just a warning to you all, even though they do not come with boots, not running them voids you’re warranty (at least with R*****). It was compared to “riding a bike without a helmet because they look dorky” by their sales and marketing manager. I bought these shocks for performance, certainly not for looks so it was disappointing to only get 6 months use before needing a rebuild that runs 80% the original cost.
I’m not here to bash any particular company, just wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue and inform others so they don’t get into the same predicament. I fully expected a high end racing shock to last a lot longer than 6 months.
Long story short, PROTECT YOUR SHAFTS! Even if it looks “dorky”.

I don't run boots but I do clean them regularly. I have had to replace seals a few times, but nothing too horrible.

I wish it were just the seals. Apparently both shafts need replacement “due to rock or debris hit”. I visually inspected them after removal/cleaning and wasn’t able to see anything. Guess it doesn’t take much.
I don't run boots but I do clean them regularly. I have had to replace seals a few times, but nothing too horrible.

im curious what brand did you buy for rear shocks?

I personally run dust boots to protect the shafts and also run lower skids to protect the lower mount + bearing from any rocks... so far so good. i dont close off the boots however as i want debris or water to drain if it gets in there

Radflo makes good shock. If you running high speed desert running the shaft absolutely have to be protected. Months or miles does not really matter since once the pitting happen it would destroy the seal.

Been running shock protection for years on my motorbikes with high dollar racing shocks. One brand new unprotected Penske shock seals lasted one wet weekend ride on backroads before it let all the goodness ( oil , nitrogen) out. Sand /dirt/road grime are just like valve lapping compound on shock seals.... even shocks with a wiper over the seals will fail sooner rather than later... its just a matter of time/ conditions. Just seemed like a no brainer for me to also protect my investment on the GX. The rear accordian style boots can be had for 12 bucks or so on Amazon in a rainbow of colors and i would say that due to how vulnerable the rear shock shafts are its well worth it to use them.... covers for the coil overs are limited in whats available but they do a lot more than just keep the crud off the shaft they also keep the crud off the spring/ preload adjustment collars and threads.

20171026_152004.jpg

20180317_175132 (2).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom