Shock absorbers for converted LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '99 LX that I purchased about a month ago. The truck is in great condition, with excellent service history. I wasn't specifically looking for one of these, I was just in the market for a used car. This really is one badass machine. I just never figured I'd be joining a cult. If ours gets a name, I'm thinking "Tom Cruiser". My wife didn't get it.

I've read lots on this forum and it helped me install my Pioneer head unit and back up camera. Works great.

One issue that the PO had was for the AHC. After several trips and hundreds and hundreds of dollars, he had a Strutmasters kit installed. The truck rides and drives fine, but it's been 40k miles since the installation, and I would like to replace the shocks.

So here is the question(s). Can I use any shocks that are for a '99 LC? My first choice is the Bilstein B6 HD's. For us, this is a 99.9% onroad vehicle. The other side of this question is regarding the torsion bars. Mine are the originals. Should those be changed/upgraded also?

Thanks,
Shawn

best shock to get is OEM, they are pretty inexpensive and should provide a nice ride. i've read you need to replace the torsion bars with stock LC ones if you're after a stock type ride. i've always been a fan of bilsteins myself but that ride will likely be a bit firmer than stock and they cost over twice the price.

PLROD is absolutely correct about the OEM shocks being the best bang for your buck. However. if you are converting from AHC you will need the round washers that hold the bushings on at the top of each shock and toyota sells them for $12 each. I did all the research I could to find them cheaper but I couldn't. you need 4 for each corner so that ends up being almost $200 FOR WASHERS! Some people bough washers from home depot and used them but they don't have the dome shape and the locating chamfer in the middle to center it. This is why I went with the Bilstein shocks. I did a A very comprehensive video on youtube that shows step by step how to convert form AHC. including disconnecting the AHC computer and fuses so you don't get any flashing lights on the dash.

see link below:

is the washer you refer to the one that broke off when you cut the nut off the top of the shock? I'm considering this conversion soon and really want to maintain a stock ride, are the bilsteins much stiffer than stock? mine is not rusted so all of my existing metal parts will be reusable.

PLROD is absolutely correct about the OEM shocks being the best bang for your buck. However. if you are converting from AHC you will need the round washers that hold the bushings on at the top of each shock and toyota sells them for $12 each. I did all the research I could to find them cheaper but I couldn't. you need 4 for each corner so that ends up being almost $200 FOR WASHERS! Some people bough washers from home depot and used them but they don't have the dome shape and the locating chamfer in the middle to center it. This is why I went with the Bilstein shocks. I did a A very comprehensive video on youtube that shows step by step how to convert form AHC. including disconnecting the AHC computer and fuses so you don't get any flashing lights on the dash.

This is exactly what I was looking for. The conversion was already done before I purchased the truck. I'm just looking to make what I have better.

The videos are helpful. Thank you so much. This will be my guide. I wasn't aware that the torsion bars were different. I'll have to find a set.

see link below:

The retaining washers I am referring to are the ones that sandwich the bushings/cushions on the top and bottom of each shock's upper mount. Mine were ruined after i cut the shock off and were rusted but if yours are in good shape then you can re-use them. Yes they are the same part as the land cruiser washers so no problem doing that.
As far as ride goes Bilsteins are a bit stiffer. They are between comfort and sport mode on AHC. I Would have gone with Toyota shocks to if it wasn't for the washers. I think you should go with Toyota shocks. By the way each Toyota shock does come with the two black bushing/cushions and top nut so you don't need to worry about ordering that separately.

I am leaning to the oem LC shocks. While looking at other parts to refurbish the rear suspension, I fount the oem's to be priced a lot less than I expected.

Hi,

If you're doing the swap. I would be interested in your hydraulic lines at the shock. Cut or uncut. I am only interested in the fitting on the ends that meet the shock and globe.

Thanks!

My conversion was done before I purchased it. I do know the resevoir is still full of fluid. Beyond that, I'm not sure how much of the AHC is still left on the vehicle. Our current weather situation is keeping me from inspecting it further.

My LX470 has an OME medium lift kit on it and I replaced the OME Nitro Sports with OEM shocks. Soooo much better. My LX470 has sliders, and skid plates but no bumpers, drawers, etc. Fine on easy rock crawling and easy four wheeling, great on road.

see link below:

You need to use the washers off the original shocks. That is what I did. And i agree on the ahc computer removal.

My computer has already been disconnected. There is a relay and fuse bagged in the glove box. I also just removed the console switch panel and replaced it with the LC pocket.

HEAVYMETAL is right. you can re-use the washers from the hydraulic shocks. I wish I knew that before doing the conversion. lol. I really wanted to go with the OEM shocks, not just because it's cheaper but i heard it is more comfortable as well. The Bilsteins are pretty firm

Right on.
The more you can spend on shocks the better the ride. I know they are pricey, but money well spent.

I'm doing this conversion within the next 10 days or so. I did opt for the following parts though. OME 2865 rear coils, OME torsion bars, Fox 2.0 shocks all around. I should have this done by the 27th or 28th.

Eagerly waiting to hear how this rides.

I too recently bought a lx470. I have half a lift in my truck after the PO had a local shop replace the AHC with a OME kit. Deciding whether to Finish the lift or go closer to LC stock.

Not a fan of the nitrogharger sport shocks coupled with the hopelessly under sprung AHC torsion bars (sans AHC). The rear also is too high compared with the front, at ~3" lift with the 860 springs instead of 865's.

Lift completion will take OME TB's up front & a diff drop, UCA's & better shocks all around.
Looking at the fox 2.0's w. Out external reservoir.

Another option is to get used LC tb's & springs, & go with OEM shocks. Shim the rear 30mm, crank the front 20mm, & add airlift helper springs for those loaded days...

Hope your suspension project is going well.
Looking forward to hearing how it rides.

Last edited:
My LX470 has an OME medium lift kit on it and I replaced the OME Nitro Sports with OEM shocks. Soooo much better. My LX470 has sliders, and skid plates but no bumpers, drawers, etc. Fine on easy rock crawling and easy four wheeling, great on road.

Sounds like I could have close to this setup with a bit more work. What front TB's are you running?

The OME mediums that came with the kit. I also had a diff drop done and SPC UCAs installed

The OME mediums that came with the kit. I also had a diff drop done and SPC UCAs installed

OK, sounds like a well rounded install.

My trucks PO paid $1875 for a OME medium kit install, & they didn't even change the undersized AHC front TB's...

They did however crank them as far as they would go, so the preload was maxed & they rode like crap...

I lowered the front a little bit to regain a minuscule amount of comfort & down travel. The truck looks wonky with the 3" lift springs in the rear, & about stock front height.

Curious to hear how the Fox 2.0's ride with the medium springs before I make my parts decision & order anything. Found all four Fox shocks on Amazon for about $500.

Add a diff drop, & torsion bars, & UCA's & it will cost over 1.5k in parts to complete this lift...

Considering nearly 2k has already been thrown at this, I think the AHC could have been fixed for less... But I digress, the AHC shocks are long gone.

Also got a line on used take off LC springs, which with OEM LC shocks would at least give me a reasonable baseline of a properly functioning suspension.

Do you know if you have 860 or 865 springs in the rear?

What ride height are you running front & rear?

Do you think the OEM shocks are the limiting factor in your suspension travel?

Guess that wouldn't matter much in light off-roading.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hi the kit used the 865 springs, I haven't measured it but 1.5" seems about right. I do have BIOR sliders and a full set of skid plates on. No bumpers no drawers. The OEM shocks are probably limiting my suspension travel, but I don't think by much. It was either that or spend a ton on a set of ICON Stage 3s which with two kids in college wasn't in the plan. I'm happy with the OEM shocks, I hear those folks who do real hard 4 wheelin have broken them, which is not surprising. But for my mild off roading getting to my elk hunting grounds and camping, the OEM shocks do fine and are great around town and on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom