Shifter handle replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Probably not the most appropriate subject line but all I could think of at the moment! I want to send my wheel and auto shifter handle to craft customs in Dallas for some new leather. I'll replace the wheel with something compatible from a local Pick n Pull so I can still drive as turn around time may be close to 3 weeks.

Do I have any such options for the shifter handle or does only the body get removed and recovered...thus leaving the truck still able to drive?

Thanks!

See link here. Great video I used to remove and reinstall shifter. If I can do it, anyone can!!

See link here. Great video I used to remove and reinstall shifter. If I can do it, anyone can!!

Great, thanks for the link.

Does anyone know if any other Toyota shifters from that era would work as a substitute until mine is returned? No land cruiser or LX 450s in my local junk yards.

4wd 3rd gen 4Runner shifter can work as a permanent fix. No more grubby leather to go bad, and stop hitting your knee on the chunky boy Land Cruiser shifter.

4wd 3rd gen 4Runner shifter can work as a permanent fix. No more grubby leather to go bad, and stop hitting your knee on the chunky boy Land Cruiser shifter.

Thank you.

I was at the local Pick-n-Pull yesterday to get a temporary steering wheel off a late '90s Lexus and noticed that car as well as other Camrys of the era in the lot had an overdrive button on their shifters. I didn't have the time to pull one off but was certainly curious if one of them could do in a pinch.

I just bought a brand new factory shifter from Partsouq and it was not too bad ($150). You might want to check that out before sending it.

Last edited:
That's a coincidence, I just replaced the shifter knob on my manual HZJ80 yesterday. It's vinyl not leather so it ages better, but over the last 25 years it's been polished smooth. I picked up a new one because it's still available for cheap. Old vs new:
1634196592406.png

I also replaced mine with a new, factory unit. Very glad I did. It’s one of those parts that gets used often, so it’s nice to have a new one. I did the steering wheel from Craft at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom