Shifter handle replacement?

Hi all,

Probably not the most appropriate subject line but all I could think of at the moment! I want to send my wheel and auto shifter handle to craft customs in Dallas for some new leather. I'll replace the wheel with something compatible from a local Pick n Pull so I can still drive as turn around time may be close to 3 weeks.

Do I have any such options for the shifter handle or does only the body get removed and recovered...thus leaving the truck still able to drive?

Thanks!

Brentbba

Former Golfer
SILVER Star
See link here. Great video I used to remove and reinstall shifter. If I can do it, anyone can!!

See link here. Great video I used to remove and reinstall shifter. If I can do it, anyone can!!

Great, thanks for the link.

Does anyone know if any other Toyota shifters from that era would work as a substitute until mine is returned? No land cruiser or LX 450s in my local junk yards.

4wd 3rd gen 4Runner shifter can work as a permanent fix. No more grubby leather to go bad, and stop hitting your knee on the chunky boy Land Cruiser shifter.

4wd 3rd gen 4Runner shifter can work as a permanent fix. No more grubby leather to go bad, and stop hitting your knee on the chunky boy Land Cruiser shifter.

Thank you.

I was at the local Pick-n-Pull yesterday to get a temporary steering wheel off a late '90s Lexus and noticed that car as well as other Camrys of the era in the lot had an overdrive button on their shifters. I didn't have the time to pull one off but was certainly curious if one of them could do in a pinch.

heckler

SILVER Star
I just bought a brand new factory shifter from Partsouq and it was not too bad ($150). You might want to check that out before sending it.

Last edited:
That's a coincidence, I just replaced the shifter knob on my manual HZJ80 yesterday. It's vinyl not leather so it ages better, but over the last 25 years it's been polished smooth. I picked up a new one because it's still available for cheap. Old vs new:
1634196592406.png

george.arnold

SILVER Star
I also replaced mine with a new, factory unit. Very glad I did. It’s one of those parts that gets used often, so it’s nice to have a new one. I did the steering wheel from Craft at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom