Shifter handle replacement, hung up at 99.9% done- what am I missing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, as seen here I've just replaced my cupholder and shifter trim plate. THOSE parts look great, intalled flawlessly, and I'm thrilled.

Problem- I can't for the life of me seem to figure out how to hold my mouth right and get the shifter to install back properly without spitting out the button/ spring. If I get the shifter handle pressed far enough down to mate up the screws and their captive nuts on the shift lever, the shifter release button seems bound up and doesn't want to move or click in or out any more, so that won't work. And if I don't screw those screws in everything ... sort of works, I just have to jiggle stuff around/ pull up 1/4" etc to make the shifter release, and then obviously the release button/ spring is free to jump out whenever it likes.

Tips? Has anyone had this issue before, or am I just special?

Hey all, as seen here I've just replaced my cupholder and shifter trim plate. THOSE parts look great, intalled flawlessly, and I'm thrilled.

Problem- I can't for the life of me seem to figure out how to hold my mouth right and get the shifter to install back properly without spitting out the button/ spring. If I get the shifter handle pressed far enough down to mate up the screws and their captive nuts on the shift lever, the shifter release button seems bound up and doesn't want to move or click in or out any more, so that won't work. And if I don't screw those screws in everything ... sort of works, I just have to jiggle stuff around/ pull up 1/4" etc to make the shifter release, and then obviously the release button/ spring is free to jump out whenever it likes.

Tips? Has anyone had this issue before, or am I just special?
@bamabrock - I think I’m special. I haven’t pulled it back apart yet, but I think the piece at top of the release got turned around backwards while I was working on it. So… yeah. I’ll get to undo/redo. Fortunately it’s an hour of messing with it tops.

That was my first guess... you need the angled side pointing to one side or the other to get it to fit together and depress.

@bamabrock - I think I’m special. I haven’t pulled it back apart yet, but I think the piece at top of the release got turned around backwards while I was working on it. So… yeah. I’ll get to undo/redo. Fortunately it’s an hour of messing with it tops.
👌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom