Sheet metal CNC plasma/water jet/etc cutting question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Biscuit

Mars Rover Driver Emeritus
SILVER Star
Threads
I have a few questions for those that have experience cutting sheet metal with a plasma cutter/laser/water jet or really any other way that has CNC precision.

I'm looking to have two identical adapter pieces made so I can fit some OEM late model hardtop side sliding windows on to my FJ40 (the BJ42LX side windows glue in as opposed to the usual weather strip). What I am thinking is either 16ga steel or 14ga aluminum (similar enough in thickness). I really need the CNC as match up the curves on the window frame.

Is there a preferred method that result in a better cutting of this thickness sheet?

For those of you that may do this professionally, and wild guess on what two pieces approximately 16"x34" outside cut with an 15"x35" inner cut would cost?

Finally, are there any Mudders in the LA area that can do this? I fiugure if I am going to have these parts made, I might as well have someone on IH8Mud get the work.

Inner 15"X35".....The 35" is 1" bigger than the outer measurement of 34". I'm not understanding your description.
If all your after is a frame (adapter), I think you could use either aluminum or steel.
basically the machine will cut the inside, then the outside cut. If I was doing this, I would probably use 14 ga. steel as you are gluing the glass in.
Good luck.
firestopper

If going with steel I prefer laser cut, with aluminum I prefer water jet, both leave a clean edge you might have to deburr a little. Much of your cost will be in programming in the shape, if you can have someone draw it for you on some kind of CAD system it will be cheaper. You should be able to email the file to the cutter, they'll likely have the material you need, might be able to combine your job with another to save a little. You could also cut it out of polycarbonate, waterjet is good for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom