Share with me your HAM Radio Setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got my Technicians License and I'm delving into the world of HAM Radio. A lot of my fellow LA Country Trailcrew 4x4 members just got theirs as well.

I got HAM radio for a few reasons:
1. Longer range communication between caravans
2. Emergency communications where cell service is not an option
3. APRS (Automatic Packet Relay System) GPS location, bearing, and speed of fellow club members in caravan.

I know the third reason will be difficult to accomplish but the first two are important to me.

Please share the following:
1. What radio do you have and why (VUF, UHF, HF)
2. Where did you install it (Tuffy console, dash, overhead)

I bought a really cheap Baofeng UV-5R handheld with magmount car antenna to get started and will eventually purchase/install a mobile unit in the vehicle.

I'm really interested in overhead console installs, APRS use out of cell range with a visual map display, and hardware choices (i.e. radio / antenna installs).

Thanks.

Congrats on your ticket; passed my extra last spring. Easy for me because I'm an EE.

I am in the process of installing my radio as well as a sound system in my FJ60. Radio is a Kenwood TM-D710A dual bander. The control head will be put on a RAM stick mount by the shifter, the radio unit goes under the passenger seat, and I'll run a cat 5 cable for the mic to a panel mount jack on the dash for the mic to plug into. I'm installing a new speaker in the dash speaker space (my rig had no speaker here when I bought it but has screws), and that will get wired to the ext spkr jack on the radio unit. Pretty stealthy, works great - I just took it out of my Tacoma which I'm selling.

For the antenna, I'll prob go with a Diamond lip mount on the rear hatch temporarily, and eventually I'll drill and install a Larsen NMO on the roof. I had an NMO on the roof of the taco with a Larsen 2m/70cm whip (I kept the whip but left the NMO for the next owner).

I'm not too interested in APRS, but I like to use the BaoFeng with the Kenwood in the truck set in cross-band repeat mode, which effectively gives me a 50W hand held.

When I get into the install I'll take some pics and do a thread. Still collecting supplies for a BlueSea power dist setup under the hood and beefing up the wiring. The FJ60 has some crappy stock wiring IMO.

Congrats on getting your tech license!! I got the Baofeng UV-5R as my first radio as well. It's a good little unit!!

For my mobile setup, I got a FTM-350R used off ebay for $350. Mine was in perfect shape and came with the GPS antenna so I could run APRS. I have a big ammo can center console, so I elected to mount everything in / to it. I got the FTM-350R because it is a dual transciever, dual-band radio, meaning that it actually has two radios built into it. I can transmit on 2M, then switch to the other radio and transmit on 70cm. I can also use cross-band repeat, meaning I can take a signal that's coming in on 2M and transmit it to 70cm on the fly. I wanted a radio that could do APRS, so the FTM-350R was a great fit. I initially thought I couldn't afford it, but finding the used one on ebay made it possible.

For antennas, I have a K400CNMO upper hatch mount, with the cable run through the factory grommet for the washer tube and wiper wire. The C110 cable extends the mount cable up to my center console. This upper hatch mount uses the NMO standard for antennas, so I got a NR770HNMO for road use and a NR72BNMO for trail use.

Take a look!

IMAG0054.jpg

I mounted the head unit to the side of the ammo can on a Lido mount, so it sits up right here. This is also adjustable, so I can change the angle without any trouble.

IMAG0117_ZOE004.jpg

IMAG0118_ZOE003.jpg

This is where the antenna mounts:

IMAG0063.jpg

Final install and wiring inside the console:

IMAG0121.jpg

Finally, the unit on. I ended up mounting the microphone using one of the lido sticky mounts to the face of the dash, immediately to the right of the factory radio slot.

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

I get great reception in the RDU area and the head unit doesn't get in the way of anything.

Long story short, decide on the features you want, then decide on a budget. Do not be afraid of a used radio.

Im still waiting for my venezuelan license, I have on the way a Yaesu 2900R (Single band 2m), Larsen 5/8 Antenna and NMO mount to be placed on a mount attached to the spare tire carrier. I still havent figured out where I want to mount the radio though..

Beware of Lido mounts, especially do NOT order from his website. Nothing will ship and no emails will be returned. I had to do a Paypal dispute to get my money back from that a******. Eff that guy. :mad:

Beware of Lido mounts, especially do NOT order from his website. Nothing will ship and no emails will be returned. I had to do a Paypal dispute to get my money back from that a******. Eff that guy. :mad:

I admit I did have trouble getting in contact with him and my parts took longer to ship than I expected. I got what I paid for though and it is good quality.

Thanks for sharing guys. GKTHFJ60, I'm jealous of that radio! I want that setup but it will have to wait as new tires are the first priority. I have plenty of space in my tuffy console for the unit and the detachable face should be easy to mount next to my ipad which I use for GPS / USGS maps on a ram mount.

Any overhead console builds featuring radios? I know I've seen a few basic overhead console designs.

Tagging along for the ride. I have an 80 series, but Randy is a good friend of mine, and I'm loving the ideas that are being posted in this thread!

Randy et al.... if your search on the 80's forums there are some real nice and facy set up where they have installed the detachable face of the HAM above the rear view mirror.... the only overhead consoles I have seen and I would consider for my rig are sold in Australia.... and these are not cheap....

James, is it possible for you to post those pix here? One has to register and log in to view on that 4x4 Ham site.

It won't let me link to them, either... :mad:

Yeah, won't let me view pics without signing into that website.

Yes, I'll post them here tomorrow.

73, James - KF4AQO Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Installing a Yaesu FT-2800M into a Toyota FJ-60

I needed to install a ham radio into my FJ-60.
Here is some background information. I’ve own several Icom dual band radios (2720) and one - 2 meter VHF IC-V8000. I also have several older Yaesu FT-2400 2 meter radios that I’ve used in a Jeep, full size and classic Broncos, and a couple of “Go Boxes”. I like dual band radios that allow running 2 meter frequencies on “both sides” of the radio simultaneously. I also like the option of a removable face plate that allows mounting the body of the radio separately from the face plate. This is very beneficial if space is an issue. However, for an off road vehicle I wanted a radio that was very rugged and it possible transmit more than 50 watts. I was “window shopping” on eHam and found a great buy on a FT-2800M. I liked the high power (65 watts), large heat sink, and large display.
Plan “A” - keep the aftermarket AM/FM/CD radio that came with the 60 and mount the ham radio in the lockable radio compartment of the Smitybilt center console I installed. However, when my 60 arrived I discovered the AM/FM/CD radio didn’t work and the door and rear quarter panel speakers were looking very, very sad. (I bought my 60 from a dealer on line so there were many surprises in store for me.)
Plan “B” – Buy a new AM/FM/CD radio and mount it in the Smitybilt center console and mount the ham radio in the stock radio location and external speaker in the stock radio speaker location also. This will 1) make both radios more secure; 2) proved a clutter free dash; 3) provide air circulation around the ham radio. The lockable radio compartment was the right size for the ham radio but there would have been little to no extra space for air circulation.
I found instructions regarding dash removable on a great FJ-60 site, www.thewagonway.com. This was extremely helpful because I was having difficulty removing the broken radio. I happen to have a “parts” 60 that allowed me to “practice” dash removal and reinstallation. I used that dash to fab up the radio and speaker mount so my running 60 would not be unavailable. I didn’t want to remove the dash multiple times so I made a coax pig tail and a power cord extension with the fuse holder mounted on the dash.
Tools – 10mm wrenches, flat head and phillips screw driver (dash and stock radio mount removal), dremel tool with small cut off wheels (“fine” mount fabrication); chop saw/hack saw (“gross” mount fabrication), power drill (mount fabrication); soldering iron (speaker wire, power cord extension, and coax pig tail); wire crimper tool (Anderson Powerpole connectors), heat gun (shrink tubing)
Materials – red/black zip power cord and Anderson Powerpole connectors (power cord extension); coax and connectors (pig tail); external speaker; panel mount fuse holder with fuse; barrel connector (connect the coax pig tail to the antenna coax); split wire loom (protection for coax, power cord extension, speaker wire), flat and “L” shaped metal (bracket); 4 nuts/bolts/flat and lock washers (fabricators choice for bracket fabrication); loctite (nuts/bolts on bracket – not for mount to dash); heat shrink tubing (power cord /fuse holder)
Step 1 – remove the dash by following the instructions provided by Tony K. on the www.thewagonway.com site.
Step 2 – remove the stock radio mounting brackets (if applicable) 2 - 10mm nuts hold each bracket. Use the “foot” of each bracket as a template for the base of the new bracket or measure the distance of the two mounting bolts attached to the dash for the base of the new bracket. You will need to make two brackets.

Photo 1 -
Here’s a photo showing the stock radio brackets.

Step 3 – Fab mounting brackets.
I had some “L” shaped metal that I thought would work. I ended up not using it because it didn’t allow for adjustments.
Photo 2 and 3

So, I bought two types of metal, a L shaped and flat stock (I don’t know the official name of the metal; the picture should help). Photos 3 & 4

I cut these to match the dimensions of the L shaped brackets in photos 2 & 3.

Here is one of the brackets. The bolts are loose so the upright looks uneven. I made two of these. I cut extra holes to allow for fine adjustments.
Photo 4 - I cut up on the “L” shaped bracket to allow for tightening the bolts with the brackets tight up against the bolts.

Photo 5 - The front of the radio is on the left side of the bracket.

Photo 6 - Here’s a shot of the speaker. I placed a piece of closed cell foam on the magnet to separate it from the metal strap. The orientation of this photo would be looking back from the hood toward the front seat.

Photo 7 - I drilled a couple of holes on this vent and the vent that feeds the driver and I did the same on the vent that feeds the passenger. This will help keep the radio cool, I hope.

Photo 8 - Here’s a shot with everything installed. The flash on the camera shows the bracket. However, the bracket isn’t visible in “normal” light.

Photo 9 – Last shot

angle stock.jpg

bracket 1.jpg

flat stock 1.jpg

flat stock 2.jpg

speaker.jpg

ham radio in 60 part II

Here are the last two photos. I don't think I got all of the photos in the correct order.

vents.jpg

in dash 2.jpg

Hey Randy. I got a new set of speakers when I did my HAM installation. You more than welcome to have the spare speaker it fits perfect under the dashboard, but I don't know if the 62's are the same dimensions...

Hi all,

I got my Tech class US license last spring as well.

I have installed an old Yaesu 2600 2m radio in the space that held the AM radio in my FJ40. Using a Hustler mag-mount 5/8ths wave antenna on the hood.

In my 2007 Tacoma I needed an installation that would leave next to no permanent damage. I bought a new Yaesu 190 2m radio and another of those mag mount Hustler 5/8ths wave antennas. The antenna sits on the roof of the cab, while the radio is mounted to a piece of 2" by 6" wood that is shoved between the center console and the passenger's seat.

Using repeaters, 2m radios have quite a long range. Even in simplex mode, I have been very surprised how much range the transmissions can go. Definitely worth the trouble as a upgrade from CB radios.

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom