Service Manuals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am sure your help will be much better than the darned vendors!

Sorry about that. I had to vent my frustration. I am trying to get some service manual(s) for my HZJ80 and in Amazon.com saw 2 that seemed interesting. The Max Ellery "Toyota Landcruiser 1990-2002: Diesel Engines Including Turbo : Automobile Repair Manual : 70'S, 80'S, & 100's Series" and the Haynes "Toyota Land Cruiser Australian Service and Repair Manual (Diesel Car)". I live in Costa Rica and my car was imported from Japan and sold in Costa Rica by the dealer. The Max Ellery manauls seems good, but when looking at the Haynes one, it specifically states that it is for the Australia market and I kind of wanted to buy that one too. Anyone know if it will or will not work for me and my car?

And, of the 2 are there strong opinions amongst you of which one is better? Thank you.

both of those are a waste of money in my books.
the part numbers for the factory manuals. they are both still available for purchase.
engine manual: rm172e
chassis manual: rm515u
you can get them from your local dealer and if not then from ENS in saskewan

Serge.....Contact Purdy Toyota in San Jose. They are very friendly and will help you get what you need. My friends bought their Prado there and hand great things to say about them.

You're using a Japanese cruiser and I've found Elery's book a tremendous help in keeping my LC running well at less cost. The mechanics I use find the Ellery manual a tremendous help for the most part. I have not yet found the Haynes manual but if I did I would aquire that too.

For me, the Australian publications are closest to my own Japanese cruiser as I don't have a clue about reading Nipongo.

Kalawang

Got to agree with Wayne here. I have both the Haynes and the Ellery ones, together they make one half way decent manual but for the best details the Toyota ones are the way to go. Depends how far you want to go into maintaining the vehicle. Haynes and Ellery will cover most jobs however the layout and organisation of both books leaves a lot to be desired. You need to do a lot of going back and forwards in the books to find what you want.

Mind you the Toyota ones (certainly over here) cost almost as much as the vehicle does in the first place :D

Ditto with Wayne and Andy, OEM manuals are the only real option. I've had Haynes and eventually sold it because it never covered what I wanted to do properly. Same with the Chiltons.

I hear your pain with the local dealers. It's tough to get stuff sometimes.

If the local dealer won't get it (and they probably won't) I'd suggest talking to either Wayne or g&scruiserparts.com I know when I go to the dealer here in Guate with my manual (to show EXACTLY what I want) their eyes nearly pop out of their heads!!

The EPC is what I need but I've got no source. Any one available to help?

Question on Post

Hello. I just read the last post on this page and can someone explain what "EPC" stands for and what do I get if I download the files on this page? Thank you.

Serge

EPC means Electronic parts catalog and I hope when I am finally able to download it that I'll have an electronic means to find part numbers so I can go to the dealer and say "Give me one of 12345-67890 and get what I want."

Harveya,
What did/do you use to extract these files? I'm not super computer literate so I looked on the 'net for *.iso extractors and none of the three I downloaded will recognize these files. Am I doing something wrong?

You first need to extract them from the .gz archive. They are compressed. I am pretty sure that Winzip 9.0 can do it. You then need to use the ISO program to crate the disc from the extracted.ISO file. This will create a CD which you can then use to install the files. You will also need to download the executable file that is the program. The CD image (ISO files) are just the data CDs.

They are also the up to 1997 Japanese area versions so show the Imports as well as others. They are generally better than the EURO versions you can get on yankee toys which have a more limited set of vehicles.

Andy,
We're almost there!! The EPC program comes up and it says "Execute the set up". What exactly does it mean? I've tried what I think it means but it seems to "forget" which CD it's supposed to use.
Do I need to put the CD data onto the hard drive or can it remain on the CD?
Did you have any issues with the first CD image? The second one worked fine but I've downloaded the first one twice now and it doesn't seem to be a valid archive when I try to "unzip" it.

Last edited:
On the Main Menu there is a button for CD setup. If you run this and then on the right hand side you will see, japanese area version. select this and add CDs, you don't need to save them to the hard drive, just set them up to be recognised by the EPC program. When you press execute it will ask for each of the CDs in turn. The two that you have are Japanese Area version A1 and A2.

Hope this helps

EPC good in U.S. ?

I am presently downloading both EPCs from yankeetoys, If I get these to work then I should be able to get parts for my eng parts for my 3B at a Toyota forklift shop ? How about a Dealer ? Right now all I need is a thermostat but want to know about future parts here in the U.S.? I see 4wheelparts have them. I just need to know if and where I can get some parts here.

Thanks Myrle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom