Service body expedition trailer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How come I have never seen someone take a service body bed and turn it into an expedition trailer? Seems like the ideal solution. Lots of weather tight/lockable storage, upper compartment doors usually function well as tables(read kitchen), plenty of room for misc gear in the 'bed', and a RTT would easily mount on top.

Basically would just have to build a frame and bolt it on.

Am I nuts? I googled to see if anyone had done such a thing and didn't find anything there either.

its been done .. there is a build on expedition portals the guy did a nice job and then built a platform on top for a home made rtt set up if i get a chance i will try and find the link tonight

Here it is: Elmo's Camper Build - Expedition Portal Forum

Looks like a good platform if you can find an aluminum one to keep the weight down.

img_3330.jpg

I think one of the service bodies for the midsize would be a great starting point. Would save alot of time building installing storage boxes. Just build a nice light trailer frame, the box would provide lots of structure and strength I think. Or use a fiber glass one http://www.brandfxbody.com/fibrebody/service_BFXB40.htm

The heli-tender truck I drove for the USFS had a utility body w/topper: that thing maxed out GVW before we even put any firefighters in the cab up front. :doh:

Great idea, but way heavy, unless as stated above, AL material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom