Septic tank Ecoflo peat question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes I still have the system and stopped paying the 'maintenance ransom' about 7 years ago. I do my own maintenance on it, there's some Youtube videos explaining it but it's extremely simple maintenance, just remove the 4 bolts, remove the foam, remove the tipping tray and rake the peat. Fortunately I'm on a seasonal cottage and the system only gets used for about 2 months a year so the peat should theoretically last much longer. When it does require replacement I'll be doing it myself, take the old peat out, and put the new peat in... it's not the rocket science that they want you to believe, it's just old fashioned shovel and rake labor.
The only real advantage to the Ecoflow system is that it requires a smaller footprint than a traditional septic field. If you have the space I would recommend finding a contractor to replace the Ecoflow with a conventional maintenance-free system, probably wouldn't even be that expensive because you could re-use the existing effluent tanks.
Aside from the replacement option, I would just recommend doing your own maintenance work on it and if the time comes when you want to sell your property get an inspection at that time to get it re-certified.
Good luck.
Thank you so much for this information! It's crazy what they make you think. Has the company contacted the health authority on you like they claim?

These systems are widely used here in Atlantic Canada and I have installed a bunch of them. We only use them when we can’t get something else on the lot. The costs are just so high, as you know.

The maintenance is key. A co-worker ignored this and it cost her $15k to repair and remediate. The peat should only need replacement every 10-15 years, depending on the site, usage, etc. $4k is not far off the rates around here. There are many fly-by-night operators who will charge $1500 and not do a full replacement. If you do it yourself, keep in mind that handling and disposal can be high because the old peat has to be hauled in a sealed truck. I think the last one I had done, it took the operator more than a day to do the job.

I have the Ecoflow system with two tanks of peat moss. We have been paying the annual fee to "prolong" the life of the peat. We were seasonal users of the property for the first 5 years and then 2 of us here for the next 5. We were told we need to replace both tanks after 10 years of paying $400 a year "maintenance". The cost to replace will be $5000 due to "difficult" access. If they can't park next to your tank, it's difficult access. They have an exclusive contract for the replacement so there is no negotiation. In addition to the initial install cost we have an annual additional cost of about $1000 a year when you factor in the replacement and maintenance costs.

I have the Ecoflow system with two tanks of peat moss. We have been paying the annual fee to "prolong" the life of the peat. We were seasonal users of the property for the first 5 years and then 2 of us here for the next 5. We were told we need to replace both tanks after 10 years of paying $400 a year "maintenance". The cost to replace will be $5000 due to "difficult" access. If they can't park next to your tank, it's difficult access. They have an exclusive contract for the replacement so there is no negotiation. In addition to the initial install cost we have an annual additional cost of about $1000 a year when you factor in the replacement and maintenance costs.
Unbelievable!! I would never recommend this system to anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom