Septic tank Ecoflo peat question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AJP

Threads
Was wondering if anyone has experience with peat septic tanks... EcoFlo sells these and I have been advised that this is the best way to go for a cottage I am slowly constructing. The cost quoted was a shock though ... $14k based on a 3 bedroom unit. I had my mind fixed on a $4-5k price tag so getting my head (and wallet) around this is taking some getting used to.....any advice appreciated.

14 K is cheap as I spent 30K for one 3 years ago for a 3 bedroom sized system

Thanks very much Todd ... I guess that helps..... I "think" I feel better bout the $14k now ... course it is possible we are both getting ripped off!

When I mentioned to my wife that maybe $14k wasn't too bad cause a man from New Jersey paid $30k ....her immediate response was "so -- everyone in New Jersey is ripping off everyone else ... " ........tell me she is crazy - please say it isn't so!!!:)

(I'm simply gonna believe it is a great deal...close my eyes and write the check!)

I would assume $14k is also including the installation, right? Are they also installing drip tubes as well? $14k for an alternative system isn't bad for a 3 bedroom system installed. The ecoflow system itself is $5k or more, then you usually have atleast one more tank, possibly two more.

As far as alternative systems go, it is probably one of the better ones out there because of the least moving parts. Some of the alternative systems utilize blowers to aerate, and that is just another thing to go bad.

I've designed a few systems for some friends, but am getting ready to design one for myself...and it will be an ecoflow system.

bk

$14-30K holy crap... what's wrong with a old fashion $1500 concrete septic tank and drainage field?

$14k is installed although I am required to do the pump wiring (the cost includes a pump and septic tank along with the Ecoflo tank plus excavation, connection and health dept inspection) and depending on the inspectors initial direction regarding soil conditions etc ... I pay for any required sand and haulage. I don't think there are drip tubes planned ... I think the Ecoflow tank is being installed "bottomless" in this case... if that makes sense

Beaufort ... "holy crap" is right .... your view is more in line with what I was expecting!!

oh well ... the place is on Lake Superior ... and that flows through the rest of the great lakes and into the St Lawrence ... I guess I am doing a public service to all those who get their drinking water from that system. Apparently the Ecoflo peat cleans the liquid effluent better than anything else so far.

$14-30K holy crap... what's wrong with a old fashion $1500 concrete septic tank and drainage field?

around us in western part of Virginia, we have rock somewhat close to the surface. In those areas, you need to go with a shallow placed conventional system or a drip system. These start costing more and more. Some places may even require you to go to a dry ditch discharge system.

bk

What I got for 30K was a basic sand mound system that used the original septic tank ,a new pump tank ,pump and a sand mound .
This is the going rate here .:eek:

What I got for 30K was a basic sand mound system that used the original septic tank ,a new pump tank ,pump and a sand mound .
This is the going rate here .:eek:

ouch... down here, a new "turn key" tank is $1500 installed. But, I do live in a sandy area. :cool:

Was wondering if anyone has experience with peat septic tanks... EcoFlo sells these and I have been advised that this is the best way to go for a cottage I am slowly constructing. The cost quoted was a shock though ... $14k based on a 3 bedroom unit. I had my mind fixed on a $4-5k price tag so getting my head (and wallet) around this is taking some getting used to.....any advice appreciated.

HI, I know this thread is really old but I am looking to talk to anyone who owns one of these ecoflo biofilter systems from Premier Tech Aqua. I have one and I am looking to see what the costs of the filter media replacement is and what you were told the cost would be going forward

I install septic as part of our business and prices have ranged from $3700-$30000 installed for complete systems. Repairs and other things are all over the place in price. There are just so many variables with soils and materials and sizes. Pump systems, drip systems, engineer fees, rock removal, etc.

Also, very few contractors I know still use concrete tanks, or gravel systems.

Also, if any one is truly installing a tank, turn key for $1500, I have no idea how they are in business still.

True. Last year my daughter and husband bought a forclosure. The bank replaced the tank, 35 feet from the house, flat land. $6k

HI, I know this thread is really old but I am looking to talk to anyone who owns one of these ecoflo biofilter systems from Premier Tech Aqua. I have one and I am looking to see what the costs of the filter media replacement is and what you were told the cost would be going forward
Hi Leeanne: I have an ecoflo biofiler system from Premier Tech Aqua and have some questions for you. It's hard to find anyone who has this system. Reach out if you get this!

It doesn't look like Leeanne has been on here since 2018, so I'm guessing you won't get a reply.

I would strongly recommend getting a maintenance free conventional septic system, I wouldn't get an Ecoflow simply due to the Ecoflow's required annual maintenance. In the past 10 years the maintenance fee has gone from $60/year to $450/year! The guy literally removes 4 bolts and rakes the peat, the process takes under 10 minutes. 10 minutes of unskilled labor for $450???? No thanks. The problem is you'll be harassed by your regional health authority and you'll need to pay the 'maintenance ransom' if you want to keep your system "certified". The whole program absolutely screams corruption.

I would strongly recommend getting a maintenance free conventional septic system, I wouldn't get an Ecoflow simply due to the Ecoflow's required annual maintenance. In the past 10 years the maintenance fee has gone from $60/year to $450/year! The guy literally removes 4 bolts and rakes the peat, the process takes under 10 minutes. 10 minutes of unskilled labor for $450???? No thanks. The problem is you'll be harassed by your regional health authority and you'll need to pay the 'maintenance ransom' if you want to keep your system "certified". The whole program absolutely screams corruption.

We bought a house that already has the ecoflo biofiler system from Premier Tech Aqua. We have been paying $175 as yearly maintenance fees and now they want $4,000 to replace the filtering media etc. We've stopped paying them this past year. Do you have this system still? Are you stuck paying all of these fees or is there a way to remove this awful system they have to avoid being harassed since im assuming it is no longer certified? I would never recommend this system to anyone.

We bought a house that already has the ecoflo biofiler system from Premier Tech Aqua. We have been paying $175 as yearly maintenance fees and now they want $4,000 to replace the filtering media etc. We've stopped paying them this past year. Do you have this system still? Are you stuck paying all of these fees or is there a way to remove this awful system they have to avoid being harassed since im assuming it is no longer certified? I would never recommend this system to anyone.
Yes I still have the system and stopped paying the 'maintenance ransom' about 7 years ago. I do my own maintenance on it, there's some Youtube videos explaining it but it's extremely simple maintenance, just remove the 4 bolts, remove the foam, remove the tipping tray and rake the peat. Fortunately I'm on a seasonal cottage and the system only gets used for about 2 months a year so the peat should theoretically last much longer. When it does require replacement I'll be doing it myself, take the old peat out, and put the new peat in... it's not the rocket science that they want you to believe, it's just old fashioned shovel and rake labor.
The only real advantage to the Ecoflow system is that it requires a smaller footprint than a traditional septic field. If you have the space I would recommend finding a contractor to replace the Ecoflow with a conventional maintenance-free system, probably wouldn't even be that expensive because you could re-use the existing effluent tanks.
Aside from the replacement option, I would just recommend doing your own maintenance work on it and if the time comes when you want to sell your property get an inspection at that time to get it re-certified.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom