Selling from Canada into the US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dumb questions - how it a sale from Canada to the US handled? Outside of Cash in hand, how am I sure to get my money? And who handles the US border stuff, the seller or the buyer?

Anyone north of the 49th parallel have any experience? Anyone in the 50 states have any wisdom?

Wondering in Winnipeg

Peter

So...

The buyer is the one doing the import, Canada is less involved with the export, but the US side will have to confirm with Canada that it is not stolen or liens or whatever but that is done by the US side.

In terms of how is the money sent/transferred, lots of ways obviously but a certified cheque and visit to the sellers bank for them to deposit is usually safest for the seller and a good location to sign off the papers for title to the new owner.

My experience was with importing into Canada, I had to find a border location with the services on the US side, look up on the web what paperwork was needed and email or fax it to them weeks in advance. (And confirm they recieved it by phone and confirmation email) On the US side they confirmed VIN, inspected quickly the vehicle and gave me export paperwork to bring to Canadian Import border dudes, who charged me taxes and fee for air conditioning.

The import part about bringing it in to Canada is getting the paperwork done in advance for the US side, and getting confirmation that they did receive it, in case the person who received it is not there or forgot etc. There may be some challenges with modified vehicles but you can look that up. Also you will need a provincial inspection for your insurance company within a week or two, I had to have a lengthy conversation with my insurance company to make sure all bases were covered, and got them to email me a paper insurance stuff, you want to bring a plate with you if possible.

Yours will probably be similar, but there are more restrictions for importing into the US.

Thanks. Wow. More complicated than getting the vehicle here from japan

So...

The buyer is the one doing the import, Canada is less involved with the export, but the US side will have to confirm with Canada that it is not stolen or liens or whatever but that is done by the US side.

In terms of how is the money sent/transferred, lots of ways obviously but a certified cheque and visit to the sellers bank for them to deposit is usually safest for the seller and a good location to sign off the papers for title to the new owner.

My experience was with importing into Canada, I had to find a border location with the services on the US side, look up on the web what paperwork was needed and email or fax it to them weeks in advance. (And confirm they recieved it by phone and confirmation email) On the US side they confirmed VIN, inspected quickly the vehicle and gave me export paperwork to bring to Canadian Import border dudes, who charged me taxes and fee for air conditioning.

The import part about bringing it in to Canada is getting the paperwork done in advance for the US side, and getting confirmation that they did receive it, in case the person who received it is not there or forgot etc. There may be some challenges with modified vehicles but you can look that up. Also you will need a provincial inspection for your insurance company within a week or two, I had to have a lengthy conversation with my insurance company to make sure all bases were covered, and got them to email me a paper insurance stuff, you want to bring a plate with you if possible.

Yours will probably be similar, but there are more restrictions for importing into the US.
Hi Cody,

I am trying to export my 2013 Lexus LX 570 to Canada, and need to reconfigure the odometer from miles to kms.

I couldn’t find a way to do it in the vehicle settings and the only answer I got from dealerships is to get the instrument cluster changed, which I don’t want to do.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

So, what exactly are the reasons why you want to change the cluster? (Want vs. Need)

I would agree that you likely need to change the cluster, but there may be some ways to work around that.

Also, a 2013 is a different beast, I could simply swap the speedometer/odometer component in an 80 series most likely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom