Secondary Air Injection Code (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi,

I have a 2013 land cruiser with the 5.7 petrol in the US, and I'm getting a DTC for secondary air injection (P0419/$07E8 Secondary Air Injection System Control B Circuit). I am not getting a P0418 (SAIS Control A Circuit).

If the pump itself is bad, shouldn't I get both a and b circuit codes? Where are the relays?

This code came up coincident with removing the millimeter wave radar controller, doing some pinout testing on the connector, and reinstalling the system. To the best of my knowledge, I didn't damage any wires or fail to reconnect anything. A visual inspection of the work area doesn't show any broken or missing wires. I don't get how this could be related, but life experience tells me I probably did something unintentionally that caused this. Maybe I shorted something inadvertently and popped a fuse?

Radar cruise and PCS seem to be working as designed. I don't have any other DTCs. I don't have any noticeable drivability problems.

I've cleared codes three times and it always comes back after a few drive cycles (seems like three drive cycles, but I haven't been keeping exact track of it).

I searched 'mud and didn't find any results. I see a lot of reference to this code on Tundra 5.7 liter engines. I searched the FSM and there's lots of detailed troubleshooting info that I will use to dig into this, if I don't find a shortcut from you all.

Has anyone else seen this code? What was your resolution? Pump replacement? Bypass the system (Hewitt-Tech) - for offroad use only, of course?

Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me.

Curious to know if you were recently driving in deep water or in a manner that moisture got into the air pumps. This issue is all over the tundra boards. Got me nervous about this issue as the oem dealer fix is expensive. Tundra owners have had success cleaning the pumps as they can get stuck/seized and trigger codes.
I have the Hewitt gen 2 bypass sitting in my garage, have not installed it yet.

Thanks. No deep water crossings.

weird. got these codes this week, right after installing an ARB compressor. after research, and watching the Hewitt kit install, I see that these are the same connectors that got moved around.

debating taking to dealer (16k miles on vehicle) or just order the hewitt bypass kit

On one of the Hewitt Tech install videos, he said codes can get thrown when disconnecting the factory modules (the ones you unplug to install the slee bracket). Have you tried resetting your codes with an OBD2 scanner or techstream? If they don't come back after a few cycles, you might be all set.

Mine have come back after clearing them three or four times, so something is definitely tripping the code consistently. I need to make time to tear into it tomorrow.

I may have missed that in his video. sometimes impatience and watching 40 minutes of you tube videos are not helpful

tried to clear them with the code reader but didn't work. unhooked the battery when installing the switch pros and the code went away but came back. I'll try clearing again.

I'm just using a Foxwell nt-510 in generic OBD II mode.

My SAIS pump spins freely when power and ground is applied directly to it's harness (at front of engine, passengers side).

05061726-1F08-4B94-8EC8-BF9632BB1637.jpeg

Hi,

I have a 2013 land cruiser with the 5.7 petrol in the US, and I'm getting a DTC for secondary air injection (P0419/$07E8 Secondary Air Injection System Control B Circuit). I am not getting a P0418 (SAIS Control A Circuit).

If the pump itself is bad, shouldn't I get both a and b circuit codes? Where are the relays?

This code came up coincident with removing the millimeter wave radar controller, doing some pinout testing on the connector, and reinstalling the system. To the best of my knowledge, I didn't damage any wires or fail to reconnect anything. A visual inspection of the work area doesn't show any broken or missing wires. I don't get how this could be related, but life experience tells me I probably did something unintentionally that caused this. Maybe I shorted something inadvertently and popped a fuse?

Radar cruise and PCS seem to be working as designed. I don't have any other DTCs. I don't have any noticeable drivability problems.

I've cleared codes three times and it always comes back after a few drive cycles (seems like three drive cycles, but I haven't been keeping exact track of it).

I searched 'mud and didn't find any results. I see a lot of reference to this code on Tundra 5.7 liter engines. I searched the FSM and there's lots of detailed troubleshooting info that I will use to dig into this, if I don't find a shortcut from you all.

Has anyone else seen this code? What was your resolution? Pump replacement? Bypass the system (Hewitt-Tech) - for offroad use only, of course?

Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me.

I had the same. Well the P0418. Thought it was the pump, which was actually bad, so I swapped that, (there are 2) but it didnt fix the code. I swapped out the driver which is located behind the main fuse box. 200 dollar part. Fixed the problem for about 2 months, until last week while in the mountains it tripped again. I am thinking that I have got an abraded while somewhere that is grounding out causing premature failure. But anyway, that code is for the driver/relay. And since i couldn't find the info ANYWHERE for which driver was A and which was B, the B driver is on the bottom. A driver is on the top.

I had the same. Well the P0418. Thought it was the pump, which was actually bad, so I swapped that, (there are 2) but it didnt fix the code. I swapped out the driver which is located behind the main fuse box. 200 dollar part. Fixed the problem for about 2 months, until last week while in the mountains it tripped again. I am thinking that I have got an abraded while somewhere that is grounding out causing premature failure. But anyway, that code is for the driver/relay. And since i couldn't find the info ANYWHERE for which driver was A and which was B, the B driver is on the bottom. A driver is on the top.

a_20150817_1509077730.png

@Lexzilla
Thank you. That's a solid lead! I did relocate them six months ago for the slee air compressor bracket kit, so I wonder if if I have some long term damage from rubbing, etc...? Since I moved them with the slee kit, I don't have the same locations as stock. Do you recall if it is the brown plug plastic one or the other (maybe black?) that is bank B?

1D13CAF4-7817-4307-A79C-ABA11F7F05C7.jpeg

Hmm, this looks suspiciously like a potential area for abrasion:

0280F51C-38AC-4B5A-BC2C-0765886491AC.jpeg

So, I took the compressor bracket out and this is what I found. Think it is enough to cause a ground problem and trip the code? Any suggested repairs?
image.jpg

5352AC12-D9B7-4448-B773-BBC1ABC9E4F2.jpeg

Last edited:
@Lexzilla

Thank you. That's a solid lead! I did relocate them six months ago for the slee air compressor bracket kit, so I wonder if if I have some long term damage from rubbing, etc...? Since I moved them with the slee kit, I don't have the same locations as stock. Do you recall if it is the brown plug plastic one or the other (maybe black?) that is bank B?

View attachment 2384325
Hmm, this looks suspiciously like a potential area for abrasion:

View attachment 2384328
So, I took the compressor bracket out and this is what I found. Think it is enough to cause a ground problem and trip the code? Any suggested repairs?
View attachment 2384361
I dont remember which color was which. I can look when i am at home, but that definitely looks like a problem. I'd say protect that wire and replace the driver it was attached to. My problem also stared almost immediately after the slee compressor mount was installed.

I wish I had a terminal that could be crimped on here. It is like a large Delphi connector.

Maybe an installer error on my part, but the ground and power wire on that top (brown controller) plug was at a hard 90 degree bend and pressed against the diagonal support bracket. It definitely was damaged by the contact.

I am moving the driver outboard on the bracket by a few mm (the holes allow for some movement) and possibly grinding a relief into to mounting bracket so I can get more room (grind away the silver portion).

image.jpg

image.jpg

Combined that should buy me a cm and relieve the sharp bend.

I wonder how bad it would be to leave off the diagonal support that it was rubbing on?

image.jpg

I think the interior damage to the wire is worse than it looks on the outside. Debating about how to best repair and protect it... A soldered in splice maybe, but I need to eliminate the 90 degree bend.

I wish it wasn't so close to the terminal...

@Lexzilla You mentioned two SAIS pumps. I tested one by jumping the connector here:

image.jpg

Is this by any chance the power and ground to the other one?:
image.jpg

Answered my own question. Yes, it is, and yes, it works when power and ground are jumped to the connector.

Last edited:
@Lexzilla You mentioned two SAIS pumps. I tested one by jumping the connector here:

View attachment 2384406

Is this by any chance the power and ground to the other one?:
View attachment 2384408

Answered my own question. Yes, it is, and yes, it works when power and ground are jumped to the connector.
I don't think that I would leave the support bracket off of the compressor mount. with the weight of the compressor bouncing on rough trails, that is asking for a bigger problem. Maybe a longer bolt in the top or bottom location with a 1-2 cm spacer to move the support out and away from that terminal? I'll be curious to see what you come up with because I will likely be having to do the same shortly.

wow... interesting. I’ll have to take a look at that to see how i mounted mine just for sanity sake.

Did reset the codes (not sure if I did it originally or not), worked for a bit, then CEL came on. Reset again and haven’t seen it after running some errands today.

I cut out the damaged section, repaired with a heat shrink crimp connector and sleeved over it with adhesive heat shrink. Time will tell if it holds up. No codes and no pending codes after several drive cycles. I'm not confident of it being the fix *yet*, but it is looking promising. FYI, it appears to be a 12 ga wire.

I don't think that I would leave the support bracket off of the compressor mount. with the weight of the compressor bouncing on rough trails, that is asking for a bigger problem. Maybe a longer bolt in the top or bottom location with a 1-2 cm spacer to move the support out and away from that terminal? I'll be curious to see what you come up with because I will likely be having to do the same shortly.
For now, I removed the slee tray and compressor. It makes it easier to troubleshoot and work on this sub-assembly with it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom