Secondary Air Injection Code (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Half a dozen drive cycles and no CEL or pending codes. I'm going to call this one fixed.

So....

kept getting the check engine light after clearing.
Started to do some dismantling and noticed same problem as Charlie; Bracket had pinched / rubbed wire in very short order. Some fabrication adjustments and wrapping the wires hopefully it’s fixed.

DB58EFC6-051E-492E-882D-EBF33BE904DD.jpeg

0ECA9154-DDFD-470C-AC79-993072758E45.jpeg

E6FD86D8-02A6-42E8-BB59-7C65135EDAAF.jpeg

Can others with the Slee compressor bracket go check theirs? Seeing it twice sounds like a pattern...

Is anyone from @sleeoffroad able to comment? Did both of us mess up the install?

Follow up. Kept getting a code after clearing. Took to the shop; both the primary and secondary drivers/modules/whatever you call them, were dead and had to be replaced. I have not re-installed the compressor bracket and don't know if I will in the future. I'd like to have a compressor on board, but not stoked about the mount.

I ended up having the code come back after the harness repair and subsequently installed the Hewitt gen-2 module. I haven't had any issues since.

I wish @sleeoffroad would weigh in on this topic. Maybe there is a better way to install the bracket to avoid wire damage. You'd think if anyone would know, it would be them.

Thanks. I couldn't achieve that much space. I ended up opening up the notch in the base mount and eventually replacing the controllers with the Hewitt Tech (both problems solved).

originally:
A6A1BCBB-70B2-43B4-8D55-AFF39B53FF3F.jpeg

increased notch clearance with a hacksaw and file:
544F4902-AE0A-478F-9B9A-0463CFC7D7A6.jpeg

C4E524C3-CB9D-4FA6-8C23-B7E9C4CCD33E.jpeg

@Lexzilla

Thank you. That's a solid lead! I did relocate them six months ago for the slee air compressor bracket kit, so I wonder if if I have some long term damage from rubbing, etc...? Since I moved them with the slee kit, I don't have the same locations as stock. Do you recall if it is the brown plug plastic one or the other (maybe black?) that is bank B?

View attachment 2384374
@CharlieS RTH- any tips on extracting that wire from the connector?

Sorry, I've pulled so many connectors apart it doesn't ring a bell. There is usually a locking function, a tab, a cover, something that clips them in.

Sorry, I've pulled so many connectors apart it doesn't ring a bell. There is usually a locking function, a tab, a cover, something that clips them in.
Thank you! I got the connector about, but no joy.

Just checked mine... looks like I got lucky during install.

C5966069-5C31-485E-A95C-55D7AAD4C33D.jpeg

F44D96E9-ED6E-4851-87E8-21EB05E82330.jpeg

Thanks for all of the shared experiences on this thread! I was dealing with this CEL for a few weeks and it also seemed to happen about a week after upgrading to a clone ARB twin compressor I got on amazon. Post reset. it would work for the day but would always come back. After reading this thread, I found that one of the wires going into the the top AID (Air injection driver) had been cut into by the slee bracket also. Not sure why it was fine when I had a single on there but nonetheless, I assumed it may have fried the part somehow so I ordered a new one (89581-60010) and it seemed to do the trick. It's been over a week no recurrence.

Many thanks!

I am a huge fan of @sleeoffroad and their products. I have many on my rig. That aside, this failure mode has happened way too often for it to be a coincidence. I wish Slee would come up with a solution and offer a fix to people who have purchased these over the years, or at least put some warning in big letters in the installation manual so it doesn’t happen to others. This is absolutely preventable.

We have never had this issue in the shop but then our technicians is arguably the best trained to install the bracket in our shop. We know the clearances were tight and we have heard from a handful of DIY people that the wire rubbed. The bracket to relocate the relays has been redesigned to increase the clearance so that should resolve the issue.

There is no fix for the older systems since it can be installed without issues by making sure the relays are positioned on the bracket to provide the clearance.

I also took to my Slee bracket with a de-burr tool and a metal file to round the edges.

I figured even if I installed everything correctly a wire could shift or move and the edges are pretty sharp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom