Second Fuel Tank Mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For those wanting a better clearance 10 gallon aux tank..............do you really think it would be worth it from a $$ point of view to buy the tank, mount it, add fuel pump, lines, aux gauge, etc. etc. for a meager 10 gallons??? Just buy two Scepter cans and be done!

IMO it would be very hard to smack something in that location (especially tucked up as it is) to the point of failure. Us 60/62 guys run up to 50 gallon tanks that hang lower and even with our huge back ends, don't usually end up smacking the crap out of our fuel tanks. Besides, you IFS guys run 1/4" skid plating that holds up well to rock strikes, so if you don't like the supplied plating, just have a 1/4" plate fabbed up. From the pics posted it looks like a simple plate to fab and mount.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are going through the expense and all the work to mount a tank, make it worthwhile from a capacity standpoint (IMO 10 gallons isn't worth it) and armor it up with a good skid to survive the trails.

I talked to Troy today and I got some answers:

Yes, he can put a smaller tank up there for those of you who installed custom rear bumpers for better departure angle. Those of us who have stock setups will most likely hit the trailer hitch first.

No, he does not have plans to build a 'kit' that you install yourself.

As for the most important question of price, he's still think about it. Forum members have been mailing him so he'd better come up with something soon;)

rad

That's awesome! the only complaint I've had about my FJ is the gas! I always have to take a couple cans with me!
Does it effect you're clearence at all?

Great work! Added to FAQ under "modifications"

excellent mod, nice to see an aux tank option for your FJC folks!

Couple of observations:

-excellent fitment and a trick fillup. However, those of you wishing for an oem filler neck, please check out the ones for the 80s. We have a nice dual filler neck that may need to be modified for your aplication. Just a thought. Do a search on OEM Dual filler neck in the 80 for more info.

-rather than add a second gauge, why not feed the sending unit stuff to the main tank gauge? Use a switch (DPDT/DPST)and a relay (if needed) between the two tank sending units. Of course, I'd use the same Ohm value sending unit as the main tank so that your gauge can read the aux tank sending unit accurately.

-one thing to consider when wheeling places like Moab or similar, have the rear tank completely empty. That 19 gallon (@8 lbs/gal) will drag the rear end down and smack on rocks and ledges.

-19 gallons is 152 pounds of dead weight. Do you folks have enough spring rate to accomodate this weight plus the usual camping and recovery gear? Just curious. I know that the 80s have a plethora of springs to choose from. If you don't have a huge selection of springs then I suggest using AirLift poly air bags inside the rear coils to supplement this additional weight.

Cheers! :flipoff2:

excellent mod, nice to see an aux tank option for your FJC folks!

Couple of observations:

-19 gallons is 152 pounds of dead weight. Do you folks have enough spring rate to accomodate this weight plus the usual camping and recovery gear? Just curious. I know that the 80s have a plethora of springs to choose from. If you don't have a huge selection of springs then I suggest using AirLift poly air bags inside the rear coils to supplement this additional weight.

nice to see someone from the "Scissors" weigh in:D. As far as spring rate, the OME HD springs 896(?) have sufficient rate to handle the extra weight. These give decent lift, but are so stiff wheeling with out a good load they bounce you horribly:bounce::bounce2:. I installed the 896 spring with this mod in mind as well as real rear bumper w/ swing away and have considered swaping out to the med duty 895 until I find the bumper and aux fuel option I want:idea:.

-one thing to consider when wheeling places like Moab or similar, have the rear tank completely empty. That 19 gallon (@8 lbs/gal) will drag the rear end down and smack on rocks and ledges.

Water clocks in at 8lb/gallon, while gasoline is closer to 6lb/gallon, so you'd be looking at an additional 114lb for 19 gallons of gas.

Hey mate sorry to bring up an old thread but did you have any issues with the integrity of the dash where you cut the holes for the gauges.

Id like to mount my oil pressure gauge there but not sure how well the structure will be with a 2 inch hole in it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom