Searching for vibration in floor board (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been trying to figure out where a vibration is coming from in my 2000 LC. The sound started about 2 weeks ago.

The noise is noticeable once 45mph is attained, not felt in the steering wheel at all, and felt in the floor board. Sound doesn't go away when shifted in N. Sound doesn't change when going around curves.

Tires are Michelin that were purchased about 9 months ago. Rotated regularly and no strange wear pattern.

I have tried feeling for wheel bearing by jacking up the vehicle and pulling on the tires. Absolutely no movement.

I took the wheels off today and noticed this grease in the pic. Is this a sign of some internal wear that may be the issue? I'm about ready just to take it to the Toyota dealership but I hate to spend a ton to get it fixed. But not really sure what else to look for. Any help would be great. Thanks!

IMG_3124.JPG

the pic looks like a ruptured cv joint boot, the vibration I would first suspect a u joint going bad

Vibration in floorboard is due to bad U joint. Most likely rear drive shaft rear most U joint. Make sure to get OEM U-joint.

Would I be able to move the drive shaft by hand some if they were going bad?

I tried yesterday and there was none. Doesn't mean they're not bad but I would think there should be some movement.

You would not necessarily be able to wiggle a bad driveshaft u-joint by hand while installed on the vehicle. Have the 4 on your LC been greased regularly? The axle CV boot leaking grease needs to be replaced and if it's been like that for a while the CV joint may also need replacement and not just cleaning/greasing. I do wonder if a bad CV joint is the cause of the vibration, but others with CV failure experience will need to chime in on that. In any event, use OEM parts for any work on the driveshafts or axles.

Front drive shaft boot leak may have lost to much lube to just tighten clamp. Or it may have a tear in boot. Either case I'd reboot.

Tires:
Rear vibration may be tires. Our wheels/tires are finicky and respond best to road force balance. Tire swapping front with rears and see if vibration moves.

Spider joints (AKA U-joints)
Have aft & forward propeller shafts & spider joint be lube regularly. Clue: Look above lube points for grease caked on from being slung of lube points. Some tips on inspecting spider joints How to visually inspect U-Joints?

Last edited:
Worth mention, but not likely your vibration. Exhaust pipe hitting heat shield on floor board as it passes over rear axle. This generally makes a rumbling vibration sound and is most common at low RMPs.

Check for play in yolk with driveshaft on the vehicle. Remove driveshaft to check for stiffness. Rear transmission mount can cause vibrations in floor, you need to remove this for inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom