Schclung noise... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Land cruiser 2018 18k miles. Started to make this noise. It happens every time I turn the engine off and on after few yards of driving. It does it only once until you turn the engine off and back on... sounds like a "schlunk". Coming from the central consolle possibly engine bay. Driving me nuts... Hope anyone has any idea
Thank you so much

Land cruiser 2018 18k miles. Started to make this noise. It happens every time I turn the engine off and on after few yards of driving. It does it only once until you turn the engine off and back on... sounds like a "schlunk". Coming from the central consolle possibly engine bay. Driving me nuts... Hope anyone has any idea
Thank you so much

No one wants to try a guess? I obviously went to the dealer and their rule is very simple: "no flashing light on the dashboard, the noise is normal every car makes it... "
Oh well....

This sounds normal to me. I believe it is the brake booster pressurizing the system.

Last edited:
The buzzing brake booster is normal.

OP this sounds like an electrical relay. Is it coming from under the hood or interior near footwells somewhere?

If you can identify it, it may just indicate some circuit is switching on or it could be bad relay.

Isolate the noise and that would be first clue. I dont think its necessarily a huge issue but a relay clicking. I know dealer is hopeless so i feel your pain on that one. Hopefully a simple misbehaving component. Cheap and easy.

Thats my best guess. I know “gremlins” are a pain, do report back.

The buzzing brake booster is normal.

OP this sounds like an electrical relay. Is it coming from under the hood or interior near footwells somewhere?

If you can identify it, it may just indicate some circuit is switching on or it could be bad relay.

Isolate the noise and that would be first clue. I dont think its necessarily a huge issue but a relay clicking. I know dealer is hopeless so i feel your pain on that one. Hopefully a simple misbehaving component. Cheap and easy.

Thats my best guess. I know “gremlins” are a pain, do report back.
Thank you for your support. I will continue my testing and try to find the source. So far what i know is that it does it if the car is put in motion, if I stay idle no noise. It happens faster if I accelerate. It happens in 4 hi or 4 lo and in reverse as well. After turning on the car, I can stop the car (operate the brakes) and start again with no appreciating difference in behavior if within the initial 15 yards. Switched off air conditioning without any difference.
If I only knew the sequence the car goes through when first put in motion, it would be a lot easier...
I will report back, this is driving me nut.
Thanks

Thank you for your support. I will continue my testing and try to find the source. So far what i know is that it does it if the car is put in motion, if I stay idle no noise. It happens faster if I accelerate. It happens in 4 hi or 4 lo and in reverse as well. After turning on the car, I can stop the car (operate the brakes) and start again with no appreciating difference in behavior if within the initial 15 yards. Switched off air conditioning without any difference.
If I only knew the sequence the car goes through when first put in motion, it would be a lot easier...
I will report back, this is driving me nut.
Thanks
OK, it seems it comes from engine bay, only if I accelerate. If I coast w/o accelerating it does not do it...

I’m pretty sure it’s not this, given the youth of your truck, but it’s worth checking because of your description of when the noise occurs. And it is an odd noise.

They may have forgotten to grease your driveshaft? Another WAG but things happen.

That wouldn’t necessarily come from the engine bay though.

Thats what i would try next if its happening on acceleration/ decel.

They may have forgotten to grease your driveshaft? Another WAG but things happen.

That wouldn’t necessarily come from the engine bay though.

Thats what i would try next if its happening on acceleration/ decel.
Here is the latest, I was told it could be either Abs or power brake motor. What is a power brake motor?
Thanks

Here is the latest, I was told it could be either Abs or power brake motor. What is a power brake motor?
Thanks
Others on here will be able to go into more detail, but basically the power brake booster is an accumulator that is pressurized by a motor. It’s up by the brake fluid reservoir, so you should be able to isolate the noise to that location if it’s the booster.

It may be the ABS doing a self-check, but that would happen only when driving and first starting out. And you indicated the noise has just started happening, so it’s something new.

Others on here will be able to go into more detail, but basically the power brake booster is an accumulator that is pressurized by a motor. It’s up by the brake fluid reservoir, so you should be able to isolate the noise to that location if it’s the booster.

It may be the ABS doing a self-check, but that would happen only when driving and first starting out. And you indicated the noise has just started happening, so it’s something new.
Could it be this? T-TT-0538-19 Toyota Technical Service Bulletin - https://www.tsbsearch.com/Toyota/T-TT-0538-19

IMHO the ABS click is much louder than what is in your video.
Its a known clunker and if you use CRAWL you will immediately see what that sounds like. And its totally normal.

Im far from an expert, but that sounds exactly like a relay to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom