Saylor Beall 745-80 rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Whenever I need to weld something that is galvanized, zinc plated, or cad plated, I soak it in phosphoric acid until the reaction and foaming stop. Then I clean it up with a scotch-brite grinder pad and weld away. I try to be as careful as I can be with welding fumes all the time, though.

I hate the fact that the unistrut comes electro-galvanized. Ever try fitting a respirator under a welding hood? Fortunately the shop has good ventilation, proven by a smoke test at the weld site before actual welding took place...

Pictures tonight hopefully.

Whenever I need to weld something that is galvanized, zinc plated, or cad plated, I soak it in phosphoric acid until the reaction and foaming stop. Then I clean it up with a scotch-brite grinder pad and weld away. I try to be as careful as I can be with welding fumes all the time, though.

Good to know. You can still get that without being put on a government list, right? Haha.

Here is what the control cabinet mount looks like. The horizontal bars are totally by design, remember...

image-95357640.jpg

The gages will face to the left, which I am treating as the front.
image-95357640.jpg

Yep. I used to buy Jasco Metal Prep, but now I'm just finding Kleen-Strip Phosphoric Prep and Etch. You can get it at Home Depot and/or Lowe's.

That's going to be a nice compressor. I can't wait to see the drill press. :)

Good to know. You can still get that without being put on a government list, right? Haha.

Yep. I used to buy Jasco Metal Prep, but now I'm just finding Kleen-Strip Phosphoric Prep and Etch. You can get it at Home Depot and/or Lowe's.

That's going to be a nice compressor. I can't wait to see the drill press. :)

I will pick some up. Feel free to stop on by and check it out.

I am waiting on the POR-15 to dry. Oh boy it's slow inside the tank. Doesn't help that I used too much.

Very nice. It's like brand new. :)

I didn't take the capacitor box into account when i welded on the control box mount. The mounting slots do not extend far enough towards the pump.

image-1885458844.jpg

image-1847257090.jpg

Here is the interference.

image-3905962727.jpg
image-1885458844.jpg
image-1847257090.jpg
image-3905962727.jpg

It will physically fit, though, and I like how tidy the unit is with the control box where it is. Time to modify the skid.

Holes drilled.

image-1324658281.jpg

First slot done.

image-397732366.jpg

All done. It's amazing how well a jigsaw can zip through 3/8" plate!

image-2102814403.jpg
image-1324658281.jpg
image-397732366.jpg
image-2102814403.jpg

All wiring is done, and it actually runs! I just need the belts: napa did not have any 85" b series belts. Hopefully those will work. I measured 84" with the motor all the way towards the pump. Tomorrow we will see if this thing works or blows up. I think I am going to set up the camera and exit the building. Shouldn't be any issues, but I am not going to take any chances.

image-3005483454.jpg

image-2542174047.jpg

image-442103541.jpg
image-442103541.jpg
image-3005483454.jpg
image-2542174047.jpg

It's purdy. :D

Thanks! The good news is it works! It laughs at my sandblast cabinet. And it's quiet, too.
http://youtu.be/AjPNo49H-1s

Life is good! Once the casters come in I will roll it to an out of the way position and plumb the shop with air.

I highly recommend one of these machines. Easy to work on and it runs really well.

Nice work! Wish I had the room for a compressor that size. I'm tired of my crappy, old, noisy craftsman.

Thanks! The good news is it works! It laughs at my sandblast cabinet. And it's quiet, too.
http://youtu.be/AjPNo49H-1s

Life is good! Once the casters come in I will roll it to an out of the way position and plumb the shop with air.

I highly recommend one of these machines. Easy to work on and it runs really well.

Great looking Compressor! I really like the SB's.

What size breaker, 60?

I was under the impression that 7.5HP was about the most you could do in a residential setting.

Great looking Compressor! I really like the SB's.

What size breaker, 60?

I was under the impression that 7.5HP was about the most you could do in a residential setting.

Thanks! The motor pulls 43 full load amps at 240 volts. I have the overload set at 125% of that, and the breaker is a 70 amp I believe. I'd have to look again.

You can get an exception to the 7.5 horse limit. You just have to contact the utility. Wasn't any problem for me.

Thanks! The motor pulls 43 full load amps at 240 volts. I have the overload set at 125% of that, and the breaker is a 70 amp I believe. I'd have to look again.

You can get an exception to the 7.5 horse limit. You just have to contact the utility. Wasn't any problem for me.

Thanx!

You did an impressive rebuild on that machine !
I just bought a 5 HP- 1993 VT-735-60 Saylor-Beall
Powering up on Saturday.

You did an impressive rebuild on that machine !
I just bought a 5 HP- 1993 VT-735-60 Saylor-Beall
Powering up on Saturday.

Powered up and all is as it should be, my $400.00 compressor needs only a supply side ball valve replacement,
happy camper here ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom