Saying bye bye AHC, hello OME... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OME parts are in, installing next week-ish. Pulling the AHC system (actually, disconnecting, to be more accurate) and going with OME t-bars, N133 fronts/N101 rear, 865s and diff drop. With no bumpers, hoping to settle in at about 1-1.5" lift (don't need or want more) and firm ride. I keep my suspension setting on "sport" most of the time with AHC, and hoping the new setup is similar in firmness but actually handles better. Using the N133/N101 rather than nitro sports should do it. We'll see.

Pulled the factory roof rack and installed Front Runner load bars. on my 2006, this is not without some issues. I can post more on this seperately if there is interest. Also added Slee's slider steps. Truly a great product, but I may not keep them. I'm questioning the need for my uses (ok, I don't actually "need" them) and they are actually hindering ingress-egress in some ways. I will decide when the lift is done.

Tires are a problem - the 285/65/18 BFGs have radically hurt the on-road handling from the 275/65/18 BFGs that I had. I'm trying to decide whether to drop back down to the 275/65/18 BFGs, go to Nitto or Toyo in one of these two sizes, or go to Michelin AT2s in 285/65/18. I think the 285 size will seem proportionately correct once the OME is installed, but the handling in the BFG in this size makes daily driving less enjoyable. Any advice on Michelin in 285 vs BFG in 275?

WIll post pics when OME is in.

Do the suspension, drive it and then see what you think about the tires. And don't forget the before / after pics :)

Last edited:
I'm interested to hear your impressions with an unloaded truck on the firmness of the ride. Are you doing the install yourself?

Tires are a problem - the 285/65/18 BFGs have radically hurt the on-road handling from the 275/65/18 BFGs that I had. I'm trying to decide whether to drop back down to the 275/65/18 BFGs, go to Nitto or Toyo in one of these two sizes, or go to Michelin AT2s in 285/65/18. I think the 285 size will seem proportionately correct once the OME is installed, but the handling in the BFG in this size makes daily driving less enjoyable. Any advice on Michelin in 285 vs BFG in 275?

I can't comment on the 285s, as I've have neither had them and nor ever driven/riden in a vehicle that had them. But I can say I had a very positive experience in moving from 275/65R18 Revo 2's to 275/70R18 BFG AT KOs. I don't feel like I gave up much in terms of comfort/road noise, etc. But I'm excited about the visual change, and the 1.2" in increased diameter...

i cant wait to drive my truck next friday...after seeing the picture below of my ahc shocks, ome is gonna be schaweeeet
26147_413313348202_590898202_5291004_1829214_n.jpg

Also added Slee's slider steps. Truly a great product, but I may not keep them. I'm questioning the need for my uses (ok, I don't actually "need" them) and they are actually hindering ingress-egress in some ways. I will decide when the lift is done.

I am curious about your ingress-egress problem with the sliders and maybe this belongs in a separate thread, but I would like to hear (like to see pics too) of exactly what the problem is, as I have had my eye on these and would like to know more about the issue you are having.
:popcorn:

Jonathan

PS May be asking first dibs if you will be selling them...

While you wait for the OP to chime in, I'll give you my opinion of them. They are not a running-board replacement that doubles as body protection, they are a slider than can in some instances be stepped on to help get in... In other words, for people with size 13 clods like mine, they're a little too close to the body vertically to be effectual during exit (and you have to remember to get your heel out further to clear them), and you have to be careful not to wedge your toe on the way in. Not a knock on the product at all (they rock), just the nature of the beast. Their primary function isn't to ease entry/exit of the vehicle, that's all. They're better at aiding entry/exit than regular sliders, and worse than OEM running boards, but give way better protection (if you consider the running boards giving any protection at all).

:meh:

plus, with no front mudflaps, they leave really cool mud-spray patterns on the side of your rig...;)
step-sliders.jpg

Last edited:
Good to know. I typically use mine to gain better access to the roof, not necessarily for access, but with kids, they come in handy for the shorter bunch... wife too. Looking at your photo it looks like the tubing frame comes well up above the platform section and could cause a foot to jam into the body. Thanks for the input.

Jonathan

...Looking at your photo it looks like the tubing frame comes well up above the platform section and could cause a foot to jam into the body...

nah, they're flat on top. Just an illusion of the flat paint color of the platform I guess.

I am curious about your ingress-egress problem with the sliders and maybe this belongs in a separate thread, but I would like to hear (like to see pics too) of exactly what the problem is, as I have had my eye on these and would like to know more about the issue you are having.
:popcorn:

Jonathan

PS May be asking first dibs if you will be selling them...

Re_guderian summed it up well and accurately. They are, as the Core would put it, high and tight. This is perfect for their real intended purpose - protection with a touch of convenience. I won't go into the "pros" for these sliders - everyone knows they are fantastic. I'll review the "cons" IMHO, since you asked.
In addition to protection, these slider steps hold the promise of added convenience and for me, they don't do too well in that department. The main reasons are, as re_guderian explained, the positioning of the flat step portion is partially tucked into the door/body panels so you can get a foot caught. This especially occurs with little ones. They are so high that they don't offer much help in getting in - there's only another couple inches before your foot is at the threshold anyway. There are two other problems which affect adults and kids - the tube portions are slippery. My 4-yr old slipped and fell off. I've come close a couple times. The step portion is not slippery but because of its narrowness, your foot is always partially on the tube. Particularly getting in or out if you use them this way (which I don't, for the various reasons described). Second, because they stick out from the body, but not so far that you always step ON them, when you slide out of the seat to get out, your legs brush along the tubes before your feet hit the ground. Sounds silly, I know, but for us weekend warriors what happens is that you don't notice it on Saturday when you're dirty etc getting out after a 2-hr trail run, BUT, come Monday, you get out of the truck at the office only to notice that you just got the back of your nice clean pants totally smeared with mud and dirt. Minor point, to be sure (and I know i'll probably get sh*t for it), but I'm giving you all of the "cons". I dont like plastic running boards and haven't needed them in my prior 10, nor either of my two 70 series'. However, now I have kids and I thought the slider steps would be perfect since they were having trouble getting in and out of the truck. I figured I could solve that problem and provide side protection for the crawling trips which I fantasized about doing with them but in reality I haven't. I also liked the added side protection for collisions but that was not my primary concern. However in my case, they have actually made the convenience part worse rather than better and, since I am not using them adequately for protection purposes, I may pull them. I would either sell them or keep them and re-install when my kids are older IF we are going camping and/or out to places where they are getting real world use. As a last point, cosmetically, I sometimes think they look great and balance the 100 (especially with larger tires or lift), and sometimes prefer the cleaner look without them. Could go either way there. I hope this is helpful.

Re_guderian summed it up well and accurately. They are, as the Core would put it, high and tight. This is perfect for their real intended purpose - protection with a touch of convenience. I won't go into the "pros" for these sliders - everyone knows they are fantastic. I'll review the "cons" IMHO, since you asked.
In addition to protection, these slider steps hold the promise of added convenience and for me, they don't do too well in that department. The main reasons are, as re_guderian explained, the positioning of the flat step portion is partially tucked into the door/body panels so you can get a foot caught. This especially occurs with little ones. They are so high that they don't offer much help in getting in - there's only another couple inches before your foot is at the threshold anyway. There are two other problems which affect adults and kids - the tube portions are slippery. My 4-yr old slipped and fell off. I've come close a couple times. The step portion is not slippery but because of its narrowness, your foot is always partially on the tube. Particularly getting in or out if you use them this way (which I don't, for the various reasons described). Second, because they stick out from the body, but not so far that you always step ON them, when you slide out of the seat to get out, your legs brush along the tubes before your feet hit the ground. Sounds silly, I know, but for us weekend warriors what happens is that you don't notice it on Saturday when you're dirty etc getting out after a 2-hr trail run, BUT, come Monday, you get out of the truck at the office only to notice that you just got the back of your nice clean pants totally smeared with mud and dirt. Minor point, to be sure (and I know i'll probably get sh*t for it), but I'm giving you all of the "cons". I dont like plastic running boards and haven't needed them in my prior 10, nor either of my two 70 series'. However, now I have kids and I thought the slider steps would be perfect since they were having trouble getting in and out of the truck. I figured I could solve that problem and provide side protection for the crawling trips which I fantasized about doing with them but in reality I haven't. I also liked the added side protection for collisions but that was not my primary concern. However in my case, they have actually made the convenience part worse rather than better and, since I am not using them adequately for protection purposes, I may pull them. I would either sell them or keep them and re-install when my kids are older IF we are going camping and/or out to places where they are getting real world use. As a last point, cosmetically, I sometimes think they look great and balance the 100 (especially with larger tires or lift), and sometimes prefer the cleaner look without them. Could go either way there. I hope this is helpful.

maybe adding griptape to the tube portions where you slide off would help? it might look awkward but its a safety investment. As far as the lack of step area, I'm not sure if there are any sliders which have added area to step on, I could be wrong tho

oh, and i've got grip tape on mine, works well. I'll put up a picture next weekend if I remember.

Liam, its off.

and?... how is it? I'm pulling it this week. with the 285 BFGs and the slider steps, it all looks a little l-o-w. Will be right on once up about an inch and leveled.

I thought about the grip tape, but hoped it would work well enough without it. I will try it though this week. I imagine it will make a pretty decent different. We were out hiking this weekend and my son was up and down in truck using the step, so that was great. Now, I just need to find some rocks to go over or a Jetta to t-bone me and all will be right.

Do the suspension, drive it and then see what you think about the tires. And don't forget the before / after pics :)

good advice. One change at a time.

and?... how is it? I'm pulling it this week. with the 285 BFGs and the slider steps, it all looks a little l-o-w. Will be right on once up about an inch and leveled.

I thought about the grip tape, but hoped it would work well enough without it. I will try it though this week. I imagine it will make a pretty decent different. We were out hiking this weekend and my son was up and down in truck using the step, so that was great. Now, I just need to find some rocks to go over or a Jetta to t-bone me and all will be right.

i had the jetta part happen before i had sliders, not fun.

I havent driven it yet, but considering how chitty the suspension was prior, it should ride frickin awesome! back to enjoying cross country trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom