Say a prayer for my boy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
My boy Titan, who I rescued in January, had a panic/anxiety attack today while I was having some work done on my house. I think all the noise and activity got to him (he was abused in the past). Since then he'd been very lethargic and had really shallow breathing. Decided to take him to the after hours emergency vet. Had to physically carry him out to the truck to get him there. Once we got him loaded in he sat up, had a bad seizure, passed out and peed all over himself. Rushed him to the vet, they got him onto a gurney and checked him out. Turns out the seizure wasn't a chronic thing and just a fluke, but was caused by a draining abscess in his ear which caused an infection, plus bad pneumonia that, along with the infection is causing a fever and created the perfect storm for the seizure. He's 12 years old, suffered a lot through his life and the outlook, to quote the vet is "guarded". So he's there overnight while they have him on an antibiotic IV drip along with fluids to keep him hydrated, then in the morning we'll be taking him to his regular vet (who he loves seeing) so he can be monitored through the day. Needless to say I'm all tore up and worried about him. I've only had him 10 months but he immediately became a solid member of the family and loved being with me, my family and my kids. I hope to God we won't have to say goodbye to him yet.

72189941_777836766012705_9147766825600155648_n.jpg

All the best and my heart goes out to both of you!

Who could not immediately fall in love with that face. Praying you have good news.

Sorry to hear for sure. Prayers he heals up quickly!

We unfortunately had to put our 20 month old lab pup to sleep after she developed rare fungal growths on her intestines which we couldn’t surgically remove. It’s been long 2 months since.

On a happier note we fostered another lab (Sadie) who we adopted a week later. I’ve never had a foster dog. She was rescued from a kill shelter and was treated less then well in her short first couple years of her life. Over the last 6 weeks we have gained her trust, she sleeps between us and has flourished physically. She is no longer cowering when we put hand towards her head to pet her. She doesn’t hunch down with loud noises either like she did. She is 100% a part of our family and I can truly see the appreciation in her face when I call her name.

I say this cause I completely respect your decision to adopt and once we do taking care of your family member. God bless my friend and pray your loved one does well.

@greenbeast - Awesome congrats on the foster fail rescue! Sorry about your loss too!

Realized I haven't updated in a while. Well Titan had the abscess taken care of and his ear canal completely removed, but they found a cancerous growth in the process, so not good news. We decided to start him on chemo, since the cancer was minor enough that a short treatment schedule was expected to get it. About halfway through the chemo regimen (mid March) he had another bad siezure/blackout in my living room. Dramatic enough that the way he raised his head up and toppled over we thought he had immediately died on the spot. He came to after about 10 seconds out and became fully alert again within a few minutes. We still took him to the emergency vet again. Bloodwork and all came back okay and the vet verified that it was NOT a seizure but just a big blackout which can happen with old dogs. Fast forward a couple weeks, I'm sitting in the living room with him and he starts just going at the amputation site for the leg he lost when he was a puppy like he had a hot spot. I had to put the cone of shame on him to keep him from going at it and he settled down. He does not like the cone of shame...

Titan's cone.jpg

Couple minutes later my living room just REEKED like a Cambodian sweat shop. I looked at Titan and the site he had been attacking was seeping gross bloody pus. Again, took him into the emergency vet, they x-rayed him and found a big abscess that had been cooking up along the entire bone and finally got close enough to the surface that he couldn't just ignore it anymore and it ruptured. He stayed overnight and they cleaned it out, packed it, got a drainage tube in and he started healing from that. The improvement in demeanor was dramatic and almost immediate. He appeared much more alert and happy and it was clear that it wasn't just exhaustion from the chemo before, but likely pain that he was trying hard to hide. After the fact, the vet estimated that the infection caused from that may have been causing his blackouts and advised we keep a close eye on him to see if any happen again. So far so good.

Well this afternoon he had his final chemo treatment, and has overall done very well through the process. He has a followup in three months to make sure the cancer is all gone, but our fingers are crossed. He even got a fancy new bow tie from my mother to commemorate the occasion.

95387509_909300389533008_7555823350363193344_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom