Saved myself $100 fee (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was driving my 02 LC last night when my VSC and VSC OFF light came on. I proceeded to shut off the car and restarted thinking it would reset itself, but it didn't. Luckily I bought the service manual from EBAY and diagnose the problem by jumping terminal TC and E1 on the DLC1 (located on passenger side diagnostic port). Codes 36 (Yaw rate sensor zero calibration) and 39 (Deceleration sensor zero calibration) came up. According to the manual, you need to reset the 2 sensors first before you can calibrate it. Once I reset and recalibrated it, the lights went off and now it drives like a charm. No more ugly christmas lights anymore. This procedure was simple and took only 5 minutes to do. Dealers wanted $100 for diagnostic fee and probably a couple hundred to replace the yaw and deceleration sensor. Merry Christmas to all.:princess:

Any chance you could tell us what you did to reset the sensors? :hmm:

Any chance you could tell us what you did to reset the sensors? :hmm:

Perform this at your own risk. This procedure is good for code 36 and 39 only. Will not work with other code. However, the resetting of ECU code will work for everything else.

Okay, you have to jump E1 and TS on the DLC1 connector which is under the hood right by the passenger side. IMG_1316.JPG
Once you jump the two terminals, turn the ignition key to second position but do not start the engine. You will notice that your dash lights are going crazy. Concentrate on the VSC light. Count how many times it blinks before it stops for about a second and starts to blink again. For instance, if it blinks twice then stops and blinks once, that is a code twenty one. If you get code 36 and 39 then you have to reset the yaw rate and deceleration sensor. Heres how to do it.

You must first erase the previous memory by performing the following:
1. Shift the shift lever to P.
2. Turn the ignition switch to 2nd position, do not start engine.
3. With the ignition switch on, jump terminals E1 and TS with a small wire and repeat with a cycle of short and open between terminals 4 times or more within 8 seconc. Check that the VSC light is lit indicating the recorded zero point is erased.
4. Turn ignition swith off.

Once the previous memory is cleared you can calibrate the yaw and deceleration sensor by doing the following:

To calibrate the yaw rate sensor do this:
1. Connect TS and E1 terminals.
2. Turn Ignition on. Vehicle must be stationary and shift lever in Park. Do not rock vehicle or start it.
3. Check VSC light goes off about 15 Second after the ignition switch is turned on. It is normal if the light does not turn off after 15 seconds and starts blinking rapidly. The yaw rate sensor is calibrated at that point.
4. After the VSC light goes off, wait 2 seconds then turn the ignition off.

To calibrate the deceleration sensor:
1. Connect TS and E1 terminals.
2. Turn Ignition on.
3. Again do not rock vehicle and make sure it is in Park.
4. After turning on Ignition, check the VSC light is lit for about 4 seconds and then starts quick blinking at .13 second intervals.
5. After the blinking of the VSC light for 2 second, turn ignition off.
6. Remove jumper wire from Ts and E1.

Now all you have to do is to erase the VSC/VSC Off code by doing this:
1. Jump TC and E1 again.
2. Turn ignition switch on.
3. Clear the Diagnostic trouble code by stepping on the brade pedal 8 or more times within 5 second.
4. Check and see if the VSC light blinks normally.
Normally equals code 11 or 21 or in my case a continuous quick bliniking.
5. Switch off ignition and remove jumper wire.
6. Start vehicle and see if the light comes back.

Good luck.
IMG_1316.JPG

I had someone try to see if a scangauge worked on my LX470, but no luck. It don't connect so he unplugged it.
When I drove away after a few minutes I noticed that the ABS, VSC OFF and VCS TRC are blinking. First they blink in code: 3 blinks, pause then 9 blinks repeatetly.
Now the ABS light is off and the VSC OFF and VSC TRC are steady.
I had the battery unconnected but that didn't clear it.
What could it be and how to solve this?

Haven't done anything else so far.
Is this DLC thingy under the drivers side panel? Is this the same as the ODB connector?

Okay, you have to jump E1 and TS on the DLC1 connector which is under the hood right by the passenger side.

Haven't done anything else so far.
Is this DLC thingy under the drivers side panel? Is this the same as the ODB connector?
Passenger side in the USA is drivers side for you

Not sure if the US and OZ connectors are the same. Will have a look under the bonnet tonight.

Yep the diagnostic connector is the same. And the ports are labelled on the inside of the cap. The car goes in tomorrow for the aircon problem. Will ask them to plug in the code reader and see what it is.

Still haven't solved it.
The mechanic had a code which was sent to the scan maker as they didn't understand the code.
The scangauge maker didn't know either and deleted the code from their database.
I have printed the above instructions and will give it a try tonight.

Finally had time to do it.
I jumped TS and E1 and checked the lights.
The ABS, OFF (for the AHC system) and the VSC TRC were blinking constantly. No codes at all.
Then I pushed the brake pedal a couple of times quickly untill there was a beep.
I haven't driven the car afterwards.

Yippie, no more VSC lights on my dash.
After jumping the two erarlier this week as described above, I drove the car today.
Lights are off and stayed off.

I've a 2001 LX 470. ABS TRC VSC BRAKE lights have all been on for a couple of months. I've had three garages (including one Lexus dealer) try and pull the code but the computer wasn't communicating. I sent the main computer in for troubleshooting and it's fine. Just pulled the ABS TRC VSC computer and was about to send in but thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas short of this. BTW.....Lexus dealer wanted $2300 to replace the computer just to be able to pull a code and find out what's wrong. Total BS Lexus of Wilmington DE ! B

Based on what I've read, it sounds like wheel sensors but I have no idea where they are or how to troubleshoot them. Anything I can do to rule out the computer before sending it off?

I had the VSC trac and VSC off lights on mine come on a few months ago and it was the "P" bulb in the instrument panel that was blown. Replaced the bulb and all is good.

I've a 2001 LX 470. ABS TRC VSC BRAKE lights have all been on for a couple of months. I've had three garages (including one Lexus dealer) try and pull the code but the computer wasn't communicating. I sent the main computer in for troubleshooting and it's fine. Just pulled the ABS TRC VSC computer and was about to send in but thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas short of this. BTW.....Lexus dealer wanted $2300 to replace the computer just to be able to pull a code and find out what's wrong. Total BS Lexus of Wilmington DE ! B

Based on what I've read, it sounds like wheel sensors but I have no idea where they are or how to troubleshoot them. Anything I can do to rule out the computer before sending it off?

UPDATE: ActivTrac is not on too !

Have you tried manually reading the codes or manually clearing them? If an ECU won't respond to Techstream it could be a fault in the Ts harness or the ECU in question may well have an internal fault (not common) and be toast. Try the manual approach, for the cost of a paperclip you've nothing to loose.

Have you tried manually reading the codes or manually clearing them? If an ECU won't respond to Techstream it could be a fault in the Ts harness or the ECU in question may well have an internal fault (not common) and be toast. Try the manual approach, for the cost of a paperclip you've nothing to loose.

How do I manually clear the codes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom