Satellite messengers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm thinking of getting a satellite messenger... mainly to keep my wife from worrying too much when I'm fly fishing solo in lonely and rugged places. I've been looking at both the SPOT Gen3 and the Garmin InReach Explorer+/SE+... The SPOT, aside from being fairly low power (which won't be good in many places I go), it's only one-way. The InReach has more power and is 2-way. The SPOT unit and yearly costs are lower... but InReach has a month-to-month option, which could turn out to be cheaper for me. The InReach satellite network, I gather, has better coverage.

Anyone here have experience with either or both? Or have other satellite messager options to suggest?

I have the older Delorme Inreach Explorer (Redirect Notice) and it works great, and seems very reliable in both tracking and message sending and receiving. It seems to hold on to a GPS signal much better than my phones (Pixel XL and Nexus 6). I buy the service only for the months in which I actually use it which saves me money over annual plans since I only use it 3-4 months a year anyway. The battery lasts a long time. Given my use I think it would easily last a week.

The InReach Explorer doesn't have maps nor navigation but my phone and tablet offers better maps anyway.

I decided to buy the InReach over the Spot because some have reported "spotty" performance, dropped messages and tracking points. And the availability of month plans.

So I'm thinking of getting a satellite messenger... mainly to keep my wife from worrying too much when I'm fly fishing solo in lonely and rugged places. I've been looking at both the SPOT Gen3 and the Garmin InReach Explorer+/SE+... The SPOT, aside from being fairly low power (which won't be good in many places I go), it's only one-way. The InReach has more power and is 2-way. The SPOT unit and yearly costs are lower... but InReach has a month-to-month option, which could turn out to be cheaper for me. The InReach satellite network, I gather, has better coverage.

Anyone here have experience with either or both? Or have other satellite messager options to suggest?

Where do you go where you believe the SPOT will not work?

I have run SPOT (Gen1 & Gen 3) on and off since available and never had a tracking problem. Most of travels have been in the west and Mexico.:meh:

I picked up a Garmin InReach Explorer+. 2 way messaging can take a few mins to go thru but has been rock solid.

Was in an area in August trying to meet up with a group for the eclipse. With out cell service they found a spot and messaged me the Coordinates to my device. Felt like that was pretty huge at the moment.

Mapping to my iPhone using the Garmin app is great. One stop for coms and Nav.

There are many options for payment plans to do what works for you.

Where do you go where you believe the SPOT will not work?:meh:

I have concerns that it won't work effectively in heavily forested / deep canyons in mountain terrain my solo fly fishing trips take me... and that being 1-way, I won't know it not working.

I probably should note that I currently am using 2m APRS as my remote messaging solution, but even at 50 watts I often cannot hit a digipeter... either due to forests/canyons where I am... or sometimes even when sitting on a open ridge line (due to distance to nearest digipeter). This has me looking at Sat solutions for remote messaging.

I have concerns that it won't work effectively in heavily forested / deep canyons in mountain terrain my solo fly fishing trips take me... and that being 1-way, I won't know it not working.

I probably should note that I currently am using 2m APRS as my remote messaging solution, but even at 50 watts I often cannot hit a digipeter... either due to forests/canyons where I am... or sometimes even when sitting on a open ridge line (due to distance to nearest digipeter). This has me looking at Sat solutions for remote messaging.

SPOT is available for rent I would recommend renting a SPOT along with any other device you are considering for your type of needs before committing to any of them. Everything has limits even sat phones.

I have an original Spot & it’s fine for what it is. It’s worked for me in the Sierras, desert, remote parts of Mexico and in the Philippines. I’m selling it to buy an InReach because I want 2 way texting.

I have a Spot. The rebate was the cost of the device so I was paying the service plan. I have several people that log into my account to "play along" with the tracking option. The rescue insurance plan is what I really have it for.

As far as coverage goes, I was hiking a couple slot canyons in Zion and the real time track log was right on the money. Battery life is very good with the lithium batteries.

Spot's days are numbered, in that the price of the InReach will come down, or cell networks will have much greater coverage so I wont need it anymore.

Coincidently, I received notice from Spot that my plan will increase by $40 a year to $220 a year, with an additional $!5 network "maintenance" fee. Inreach looks to have these same BS fees, too....

Coincidently, I received notice from Spot that my plan will increase by $40 a year to $220 a year, with an additional $!5 network "maintenance" fee. Inreach looks to have these same BS fees, too....

IMO the InReach plans are pretty transparent (See description). There are no maintenance fees (yet). I don't buy the annual plans, only the on-demand monthly plans of $14.95 (emergency 2-way texting, and unlimited preset messages) or $34.95 (includes unlimited tracking). I buy the service by the month which for my usage pattern cost less than the annual plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom