San Diego brake drum turning? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

O'Reily's?

Last edited:
Call around shops that do a lot of brake work, ask them if they would turn your drum and make sure they measure first.
Around my hood it cost $20 for each drum up to 10", I would just get new drums if you are doing your brakes.

Anyone know a shop in SD that can turn fj60 brake drums? Finding someone that even does turning anymore seems to be difficult.

I got new drums on mine and they had to be cut. They warp when stored.
I have seen a few bad drums from the get go, I would exchange it first unless you are in a rush it was probably machined wrong from the factory.

O'Reily's?

unfortunately a lot of oreilys stopped doing this, you got to find their larger stores in your area. At least thats how it is in my city

O'Reily's?

Unfortunately most oreillys that I called won’t do it at all. The one in IB will do rotors, but not drums.

Call around shops that do a lot of brake work, ask them if they would turn your drum and make sure they measure first.
Around my hood it cost $20 for each drum up to 10", I would just get new drums if you are doing your brakes.
Yeah so far every shop I’ve called or walked in to won’t do it. That’s why I’m hoping someone here in San Diego has experience and knows of a shop

unfortunately a lot of oreilys stopped doing this, you got to find their larger stores in your area. At least thats how it is in my city

Same where I am. Yes not all of them do it. Some claim to and don't. But quite a few around here still do it. I guess I mistakenly assumed this was the case for most areas as to make this suggestion not helpful for the OPs situation.

Call around shops that do a lot of brake work,

The Googleverse reveals these guys as turning drums:

Have you called here OP? HTH.

Last edited:
I got new drums on mine and they had to be cut. They warp when stored.

were they stored under a heavy load?
if they warped when stored, I wouldn't use them.
X2 to @vipergrhd they were probably bad from the start.

were they stored under a heavy load?
if they warped when stored, I wouldn't use them.
X2 to @vipergrhd they were probably bad from the start.

I guess if your definition of bad = slightly out of round, then yes I would agree they were probably bad.

Brake drums are heavy and I have been told that sometimes they get stored on their ends like books to save space, which over time can warp them slightly when stacked on each other. I don't have any first hand knowledge of that other than mine were slightly our of round and cutting them fixed them. I chalked it up to something like that being the cause. Could have just been poorly made. Dunno. I could have played roulette with sourcing another set at the time to see if they were any better, but it would have been way more effort than just getting them round at my local O'Reily's store, so that's the route I went and its worked a treat.

An automotive machine shop will usually do it, but I've found with old drums, and the cost of a competent shop to do the work, you will be better off buying new drums. Still avail from Toyota but spendy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom